Thread: Asthma medication & sperm

Jaye Guest

Default Asthma medication & sperm

Hi there,

I am new to this site, and my partner and I are currently trying to conceive.

My partner is highly asthmatic... and is currently taking seretide, which seems to have his asthma under control.

What I was wondering is that, as seretide is a steroid... will it effect his sperm count.

Any info would be appreciated...

Thank you

tiamiami Guest

Jaye,
    Unfortunately I can not answer your question but, I do wish you both much dust: dust: . You can probably research this on the internet or call your local pharmacy and ask them.
    Tiamiami

I would imagine that it's ok... I always thought that it was anabolic steroids (the type that body builders use) that affected sperm count and quality, while the cortico steroids that are used in asthma are ok. I am not 100% certain, however - best bet is to check with your GP/pharmacist.

BW

I'm not sure Jaye, it seems unlikely as it's a commonly prescribed medication and I haven't heard any warning related to its use and TTC.

But if you're really worried, you could ask you GP for a referral for a sperm analysis (although your DP probably won't be that keen on the idea!). The results from that will be able to tell you how many sperm your partner has, and how many of them are normal/abnormal.

HTH

Jaye Guest

Thanks heaps for that... I really appreciate it.

You are most likely right... I was just doing some reading on some site, and it said that many medicated drugs could effect fertility etc...

So just thought I would check and see what you guys thought

O

Thanks

Pietta Guest

Hi Jaye-

I cant help you either- sorry- but i was also going to suggest asking your doc coz they would know best!

Best of luck TTC!!

My brother takes this and his wife had no trouble conceiving - #1 was pretty quick to conceive and she was pg again before his first birthday.

Hi, sorry i cannot help, but just wanted to welcome you to bellybelly

Jaye Guest

Thank you everyone...

)

i really appreciate the huge response I have had...
    and thank you so much for the wonderful welcome to the site

O

I am afraid I can't help either. I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your TTC journey.

dust: :bdust: