Thread: Breastfeeding & Ovulation??

Default Breastfeeding & Ovulation??

I had a look in the TTC FAQ but the two links WRT breastfeeding & TTC don't work.

I was just wondering if someone can give me an idea of how ovulation while BFing works?

i think just from observing CM I have already ovulated twice, in three months, but I'm yet to have a period.
    If you were ovulating would you necessarily be getting a period? I've had more EWCM than I've ever had in my life!
    If you can be, when on earth do you test? 2-3 weeks PO?
    Is there any way to stimulate ovulation whilst breastfeeding?

Yes, I know we're insane, but we'd really like another bub to be close with DS, and I intend to exclusively breastfeed for 6 months and continue to breastfeed until at least 12 months, so I guess I need some insight as to whether I should have my hopes up or not?
    Last edited by |.~cookie~.|; May 16th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.

*bump* ?

BF ing unfortunately is not a fail prrof contraception.
    A lot of women do ovulate straight away when BFing others dont.

I didnt Ovulate AT ALL when breastfeeding.... i stopped BF at 7 months (that was janurary) because i too wanted \close babies and i guess i ov'ed straight after.... as i still havent had a period!!! lol

Due in Oct!

Cookie, women generally don't ovulate during the first 6 months of bfing, provided they are bfing exclusively (no formula or solids), and are feeding at least once during the night. If it is after the first 6 months, if bfing is not exclusive or if baby is sleeping through the night, then you might or might not ovulate, it is different for everyone.

I am not an expert on CM, but I think you can have CM and changes in CM while bfing without ovulating. If you are not getting AF, then you are most likely not ovulating, and if you are getting AF you probably are.

PP thanks! H&H pregnancy to you!!

Hmmm that's what I thought.
    We currently have five feeds a day and DS generally sleeps 8hrs overnight, but is known to occassionally go 10hrs