Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CM after conception?? (TMI)

Ryn-frog
    Thanks for your good wishes, I can't keep up with some of the abbreviations, sometimes i read things and don't really know what they mean, then I use the abbreviations myself and just hope I've used them right? We should make up some new ones and give everyone a hard time???? only joking
    Lilylou

Hi Ryn-Frog,
    I agree let's make a stand why AF???? Also why BD - baby dance??? It's kinda cute but I like to think I make love to my husband some times especially when ttc I just do the deed I have to fess up. However ML sounds more 'me' than bd.... Anyway I could go on and on and I often do!!!!

I believe that there is a theory that if you make love at or on ovulation you are more likely to conceive a boy. The theory is that very basically the sperm that will make a boy baby are faster to swim but quicker to burn out (mmm now that rings true for all ages of the species I would argue...). "Girl sperm"have more stamina so if you make love up to just before conception your chances of conceiving a female are higher. Many ob's argue that they see evidence of this. There is a higher incidence of male conceptions with ivf and in fact assisted conceptions.
    Certain sex conceptions seem to sometimes run in families. I don't know if this can be scientifically tested (Ryn may be able to help here). However I have seen and also personally experienced within my own circle of friends and family certain couples conceiving one sex. Interestingly pilots have a higher incidence of girls thought to be caused by the altitude - I do remember reading why but can't remember the answer at this late time of night sorry... Sportsmen have a higher incidence of girls also.
    So, basically according to the theory you make love frequently on and around ovulation for a male and up to but not on ovulation for a girl.
    Personally I have tested the thoery and for me it wasn't a happening thing!

It worked for my son but I then tried to conceive a boy and was blessed with dd2. I wouldn't have it any other way however it was one of those if I can sway the odds I will things... Now, with using opk's I only dtd on and at ovulation and my last Angel was a boy. I am doing the same now in ttc again so I am hoping in less than 12 months I can fill you in on the boy/girl scenario.

Lily do you normally get such a dark line on your opk if you are not near to ovulation???
    Hugs xoxoxoxox

Sorry Lily something is happening with how I receive messages and I only just read your message re the opk.

I would just like to say that opk's being able to detect your MP isn't correct.
    Basically LH and HCG are very very similar in their chemical make up. LH strips will and do detect hcg and LH. However they cannot detect AF. LH strips shouldn't be used to confirm pregnancy but they most certainly can indicate that conception may have occured. They help to satiate the irrepressible desire some of us have to poas!!! It also helps to kill a bit of time in the tww!!!!

I have had indication of pregnancy as early as 8dpo using opk's. Of course I had to wait to confirm with a hcg test but it was right. You will normally see a pattern of the strip getting darker albiet slightly each day until finally you reach a positive opk. Please remember though LH strips cannot be used to definitively diagnose pregnancy but on a woman who regularly has no second line except around ovulation and then goes back to clear sticks it would make me very suspicious of pregnancy. Remember too that pregnancy tests ONLY detect pregnancy and do not detect the LH surge.

Hi Deb
    Thanks for that info, I do agree with you, I think certian people produce same sex for reasons. I sometimes think that I am a girl producer, I have around 5 days of very good ewcm, i'm starting to think that alot of the sperm survives in this environment for a long period, probably mainly the girl sperm. Maybe the girls favour this type of cm that I produce. The boys sperm may not like my conditions and die off quickly? Perhaps this is why I haven't fallen pregnant in the past because we are only trying around ovulation, conditions not so good by then? This time we 'did it' (sorry , I now don't know what to put it for this after previous posts) a few days earlier as well, maybe if i am pregnant, this is why, sperm survived from the earlier BD rather than the ones closer too. (I have also noticed my cm changes just prior to ovulation to watery, maybe hubbys little swimmers don't like it) I don't know whether this is coming out right but i hope you understand what i am saying. The funny thing is, i come from an 'all boy family' my partner has only a brother, so I was always convinced i would have boys. Whatever happens, the most important is a healthy baby at the end of the day
    Lilylou

Deb,
    I have been getting opk lines from roughly day 8 but did read somewhere that they can detect Af as well? What I thought from this was, we must get a surge of lh prior to period. Obviously we don't. That's interesting.
    Lilylou

And I wish you just that a healthy baby to hold in your arms....
    Nighty night I am off to bed...

Something really is wrong with my messages....

No, you don't get another LH surge prior to your period.
    However you must keep in mind that we always have lh in our system. Men do too. So that is why the LH strips aren't an accurate way of detecting pregnancy. It is possible that they just show a second line because we happen to have a bit more lh floating around for whatever reason: possibly because it's been a while since we've done a wee and the urine is concentrated... But you certainly don't get another surge prior to menstruation.
    Good luck and I look forward to hearing of a darker hcg soon.

Deb
    Thanks for all your help, me too going to bed
    goodnight
    Lilylou

I do know the answer about the sportsmen - basically, men in "high testosterone" jobs, like competitive sport, are more likely to have girls. I think it's because they make so much testosterone to do that and that makes their little Y-chromosomes not quite up to the job. The girly Xs can resist all that manly testosterone swilling around in there.

High testosterone women are more likely to have boys, low testosterone women girls (this is due to how hospitible the uterus is to the sperm). Hmm, looking at my blood tests that means I'm more likely to have boys. I think this is why some women seem to have only boys and others only girls, but lots of couples have a mix.

For non-stressy men, I don't think there's a big difference in the boy:girl ratio.

As for certain sex conceptions running in families: well, I'm the daughter of a daughter of a daughter of a daughter, and so back until the days of Eve; my husband is the son of a son of a son of a son (until the days of Adam) so I wonder what we'll have!

Also, let us not forget our statistics: there is a 1:2 chance of every child being a girl and a 1:2 chance of every child being a boy. If your first child is a girl, the chance of your next child being a girl is still 1:2 - just because you already got one, doesn't mean you will get something different next time. It's like flipping a coin twice: some people will get two tails, some two heads, others a head and a tail.

So the chance of having three boys is 1:8, but if you already have two boys your chance is 1:2 - assuming no other sperm-selection is used. Oh, I love probability!

Thanks Ryn-Frog,
    Well said!
    I would just like to add an aside to my post of late last night. I have just re-read it and it could be a bit misleading. I have said that you can't have an LH surge prior to menstruation. What I mean here is that if you have alreadydetected a surge in that cycle you will not surge again prior to menstruation... Some women with luteal phase defects will surge just prior to menstruation because their luteal phase is so short. I hope this makes sense...
    Good luck Lily!

Janese Guest

Default I got an answer

Thank you all so much for welcoming me! I promise I will let you know if I'll get BFP (and if IT starts to taste sweet) in case I am just "passing by" here.. It still is somewhat easier to talk about TTC in your own language..

Flowerchild: I've been TTC for almost a year now, appr 8 months. I start to get a bit anxious. I'll have the SSG done in September. Hoping the tubes are open!

WOW! So taste and smell of CM does change after conception - thank you! - but not necessarily to sweet. Hmm, really interesting. And I believe it too. There should be a study done about this.

Ryan-Frog: Good idea the sniff/taste test. They should sell 'em, I'd buy!
    Ok, here is a quick Finnish lesson for you:

CM = valkovuoto
    sweet = makea
    PG = raskaana
    BFP = positiivinen raskaustesti

Lordi is one of the most eligible bachelors in Finland nowadays - even though he's not single and his costume has started to smell 'cause he can't wash it.. Now they are making a new jacket for him for convenience to people around him.

Good luck lilylou and everyone here in BB! Really, ones again, you got a nice thing going on here.

Thanks Janese,
    I really hope that this month is your month as well and can't wait to find out the results of your little 'taste test'. You may be on to something huge here. Imagine if we could find out earlier whether we were pregnant or not. You would save so much annoying time during the ttw
    I will let you know tomorrow of my results

Lilylou

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12