Thread: Cycle Question

mel79 Guest

Question Cycle Question

I have just got a question with my cycles.
    In Jan-Feb my cycle was 29 days 1st after coming off the pill
    In Feb-Mar my cycle was 29days
    In mar-apr my cycle was 39 days
    In apr-may my cycle was 29 days
    Do i just ignore the 39 day one and just use the 29 days or do i average them out?
    And another question how long does it take the pill to be out of your system?

Sal Guest

If your cycles before going on the pill were all regular, then I'd ignore the longer cycle (unless it happens again).

I thought it took about three months for your cycles to return to normal post being on the pill (the normal pill).

It can take up to 6 months for cycles to regulate themselves after taking OCP. Yours are looking really good. It is normal and usual to have the odd cycle that is longer than usual. I wouldn't be at all concerned about that.

There are supplements that can help with cycle regulation but really you are looking great. Keep a track on things and if things change then you could seek out some help.

mel79 Guest

Thanks i think i am all back to normal now after that as i hasnt happened b4 and was back to normal this time so hopefully thats the end of it

Hi there,
    I have been off the pill for nearly 12 months and it has taken forever to come out of my system.
    In the last couple of months I have developed PMS which I have never had (been on pill for long time) so I am assuming it's pretty much out now but my cycles range from 31 - 37 days so its still not very regular so yours are pretty good.
    Makes you wonder that because it changes you so much if being on the pill is such a good thing.
    Good luck to you, Jo

I came off the Pill twice.

Pre-pill: Irregular, painful cycles, usually 5 weeks in length but anywhere batween 3-7 weeks was normal for me. I went on the pill to get lighter cycles, regular cycles, and breasts. Sadly, I didn't get the latter .

Came off the OCP when I went to Uni (Sept 2000): did not want people thinking I was "easy", or forgetting my Pill if I stayed out late. Plus didn't want to bother getting a new doctor. Cycles stayed every 4 weeks regular, no change in cycle "weight".

Went back on about six months later just before DH and I moved in together (April 2001). We talked about it and figured that if something were to happen we'd rather we didn't have to worry the next morning. We got engaged shortly after we moved in together and as we both give blood we both know the other didn't have any nasty diseases.

I came off the OCP again in mid-August 2005 (9 1/2 months ago). First cycle was 5 weeks, then 6 weeks regular-ish (within about 4 days variance), last cycle was 8 weeks. I'm ignoring the 8 week cycle unless it happens again: if AF doesn't arrive on 6-weeks, or there abouts, I'm going to get a hormone BT at 7 weeks (along with rubella Abs) and see my GP at 8 weeks because this is beyond a joke now. It's very, very annoying with a longer cycle because you have to wait 6 weeks for normal, not 4, then if your cycle is screwy you have to wait even longer to know it's screwy. I'm at 5 weeks now and wondering where my EWCM is, let alone if AF is going to arrive on time. Usually I get EWCM ending one month after CD1 (so I O about CD 30-31), so to be at CD 35 now and nothing is a bit odd... ah well, it may turn up at 6 weeks, but I don't want an 8-week cycle so will go to my GP anyway. AF now is really light and next to no pain, but I do get a bit of PMS, a bit like I had 24/7 on the OCP in the last year.

Well I came off the pill at the beginning of October and my cycles have been anything but regular. They have been: 31 days, 39 days, 34 days, 47 days, 52 days and I am currently on day 22 which has the beginning of another long cycle.
    My doctor isn't happy so I've been referred on. Your cycles look really good. Keep an eye on them for the next few months and if they start to get irregular go and talk to your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Dan.

mel79 Guest

Jo
    Just thought i would write and say i agree about the pill no being such a good thing with all the changes. With my DD i hadnt been on the pill for about 18mths before we started trying because i didnt like being on it and i could never remember to take it but the doc said i should go on something after her as i has a ceaser and didnt want a accident straight away so i had been on it for about maybe 1 year and then went of it in Jan 06. So thought i would say to you and keep me posted on how you go. This is our 3rd cycle of TTC but the 1st was a waste of time as we missed O completely.

Ryn-Frog
    Well i hope that you sort out your cycles soon i am not really good with knowing what goes on with OCP and stuff but hope it all sorts out soon for you. You wll have to let me know how you go i am thinking of you
    Hopefully we will all get a soon.

Hi Ryn-Frog,
    Before I start I just want to say how much I enjoy your posts.
    Tell me to go away if you like... But have you thought of seeking out a naturopath or herbalist to help get your cycle a bit more sorted? Vitex is a real asset to many women coming of OCP. I have seen many women benefit. Just a thought... I know some people don't go the natural therapies path and that's fine but just reading your post I couldn't help myself!!!

My mum and dad are over in Sussex at the moment.. They are housesitting for a friend and heading to Greece on Friday!

Big Hugs,

mel79 Guest

Hi Deb i was just wondering what Vitex is as i have read about it a fair bir but dont know what it is?

Hi Deb! Thank you so much for your kind words, I feel all happy now! I'd never tell you to go away, don't worry! Thanks for the advice, I think I might look into herbal remedies; sadly in the UK there's a big fuss kicked up over alternative vs drug-trialled remedies, so working for the NHS I'm not too sure if I should go to the local herbalist, politics-wise... but if I see the GP she'll refer me to my boss, so I'll be popping down there this weekend LOL.

Hope your parents enjoy their housesitting!

I hear you loud and clear Ryn-Frog!!!
    I am a nurse and alternatives are often laughed and scoffed at. I have seen way too many positive results from alternatives that now I like to marry the two. I figure for millenium we used plants as medicine (and of course modern medicine still does) my years of working with modern medicine has shown me that there is room for both. I see so much room for both streams. I could go on for hours about it so I won't bore you silly!!!

Yep, I have been thought of as a bit kooky by a few of my colleagues, but interestingly many then come to me with queries about alternative remedies. Thankfully now alternative therapies are becoming much more widely accepted and used over here. It sounds like it may be a little different over there?

It does make it hard when you work in the field!!! Of course there are some quacks in alternative medicine that make it hard for some people to look past. I do lament sometimes at how freely people self treat with alternative therapies (esp.herbs). And I also lament at the claims some people make about some natural treatments.

I hope you can give vitex and B6 a go though as it has helped many. There have been several controlled studies - I can access them for you if you are interested.

Yep, the folks are having a ball over there, telling me how cold it is and how green!

Big hugs all the way over there!

I've always been a big believer in alternatives - essential oils and whatnot - but there's recently been a "should they be prescribed on the NHS with no real proof they work?" furor. A lot of NHS people say no - I must admit, I'm one of those: if you get a drug for "free" then you want to know your tax money is funding something proven to work, not something that might work (though I do think alternatives do work, but you need study groups to see if it will work for your needs and circumstances). If you want alternatives, then that's fine, but pay for them.

Not to whinge, but I think the UK in general has a low regard for health as we're so used to not paying for it, so as taxpayers we pay soooo much for things that people "heard about on the telly" and wouldn't work for them anyway if they'd researched them. And there's no drug trials, so the GP doesn't know if it will work or not in that case either. I used to pay for reflexology treatments and would never have thought to get that on the NHS!

Do you take Vitex/B6 every day or at a certain point in your cycle? Should I wait for the next cycle to start (?pretty soon) or just go for it now? If you have the trials and stuff at hand I'd love to peruse them, just for my own information.

Anyway, it's back up to 23 degrees here, all nice and green, and summer starts soon! Huzzah!

I just want to make a comment on the self prescribing herbal remedies...

I had always had irregular cycles, which were always extremely long - it wasn't terribly unusual for months to go by without seeing AF. I got sick of this and was put on the pill at 18, and didn't come off it until I was 31 - a very long time!

My first cycle off the pill was 35 days - shortest ever in my life, but I started doing some reading and after seeing that vitex could help regulate irregular periods I decided to give it a go. I then had a ridiculous 78 day cycle, followed by an almost as ridiculous 54 day cycle. At this point I saw a naturopath who said that vitex can work really well, but for some women it makes things worse... she suspects I'm in the makes it worse camp and has me now trying licourice and peony. Since starting this and stopping vitex, I appear to have possibly ovulated on CD13 - which is absolutely amazing for me!

I have PCOS as well, and I am using mainstream medicine (metformin) and I've added in the natural therapies due to a few other health problems that I thought could all be related (and the opinion of the naturopath is that they are.

Anyway, I know I may be an unusual case, but I did want to say that what Flowerchild says about not self prescribing herbal remedies is a damn good idea!

BW

So glad Butterfly that you have had some help with a natural therapist. It is so true. As I have said a lot in here it freaks me out a bit when I hear of people just taking herbs and vitamins without consulting a professional.

It can be dangerous. Or, in your case it can send things a bit whoopy. The same deal with EPO. Folk seem to pop it like it is a piece of fruit but it can alter the whole balance and this in fact could hinder conception. I am glad you can use the best of both worlds. I hope soon we have the news of a little butterfly on the way!!!

Big hugs

Ryn-Frog,
    I will access the info and I will see if it is on the web and send you links or the emails of the studies - give me a few days as things are a bit busy at the moment. My DH leaves for overseas business on Monday and that makes life a bit frantic for me.

For most women it is beneficial to take vitex and b6 throughout their cycle. I would highly suggest having just one at least consult with a natural therapist/herbalist. Most won't just advise vitex in isolation. Like butterfly Peony or liquorice is often added to the formula along with dong quai, siberian ginseng etc etc. What you need will depend on your own personal make up and issues. iykwim....

Glad the weather is so nice - it is about the same temp here, maybe even a bit cooler! Our temp got down to -2 last night!!!

Talk soon okay!