Thread: HCG and ovulation

clare076 Guest

Default HCG and ovulation

Can you ovulate if you still have HCG in your system following loss? Or does your body wait until all HCG is removed

Hi Clare,
    NO, you will not ovulate if you have a level over 2. HCG prevents the hormone triggers that enable ovulation to occur.
    I hope that helps Clare.

clare076 Guest

So if I did in fact ovulate any line on a HPT will be either a BFP or an evap???

Hi Clare,
    Well the answer to that would have to be yes. It is only 6 weeks since you birthed Max and it usually takes between 5-8 weeks for your period to return after birthing.
    It is very *usual* to have a very short luteal phase for the first cycle or two after birthing and it is also common to have annovulatory cycles.

Did you do an opk to confirm you ovulated or did you chart?

After all of my mid trimester losses it has taken 2 weeks after birthing to have a negative hcg. I know some women take longer but for around the gestation you were at it would be around 2 weeks too.

So, I am not sure what your test means. If it is very very feint and you are definite about ovulation having occured then perhaps it is a evaporation line.
    Of course it is possible also that you conceived.

I am sorry I can't help but I hope you will let me know what your line means...

clare076 Guest

Sorry I haven't been very open, sort of wish I could make this anon.

I have been charting, and temps originally indicated O on CD 23 like normal. but after some lower temps FF changed my O date to CD 35. Since then I have been having some rather high temps, nausea and stitch pains in side. So was advised by some of the women on FF forum to test just to make sure.

Well I bought fortel from woolies and used very diluted urine (only held it for about an hour) and within 30 secs could see "something", by 5 mins (test cutoff is 10 mins) I could see a faint line when held up to the light, by the 30 minute mark (once dried)the line had become even more visible to the extent that I can see it at arms length, and it definately has colour.

I know you shouldn't read them after 10 mins, but I have never ever had an evap with fortel, and seen as I could see a faint line before the test time I figure it might be real.

I understand about anonymity. As you know you and I said goodbye to our babies only a week or so apart. I ovulated on cd25 - I *felt* like I was and I did an opk and it was very positive. I know it wasn't hcg as that had been below 2.

I am now on cd 36 and I feel like my period will come at any time.

I have never used fortel so I can't help. You are right you shouldn't read after 10 mins as this can and will give a false positive on some tests.

I guess you should test again tomorrow with fmu. If you did ovulate when you thought you would be 9 dpo is that right? I would think that early it would be unusual to get a bfp on afternoon urine held only for an hour. However, it is also possible! I know this is such an emotional time and whatever that line turns out to be is going to bring you some emotions I know... :hugs:

clare076 Guest

Well the test must have been a dud, just did another one after holding pee for a couple of hours and it's definately negative. I don't know whether I am happy about that or not, all I know is then next time I am pregnant I want it to be perfect, not worried about the right folic acid levels and spotting.

I really didn't think I could possibly be pregnant, I know I shouldn't have listened to other people we haven't bd for about 7 days prior to O, it's just these blasted high temps that people think is a good thing.

I know you said it can take 5-8 weeks for AF to return, but what happens with your second/third cycle? Does it remain that long? Or does it go back to pre preg length.

Thanks for your help
    xxxxx

Clare,
    I am sorry :hugs: I imagine the conflict you are feeling. HOwever, I really think you are right. Get those folate tabs happening and being utilised by your body and begin the next journey feeling really confident.

About cycles: After my March angel my LP became quite short. It was only ever about 11 days and I had an early loss between my March angel and Eggbert. My obs popped me on Clomid to lengthen my LP and I conceived that first cycle.

I will go straight back on clomid after I get my period (cd2) for this reason. I am 39 and I have lost five babies - I haven't got a lot of time to just let it sort itself out (which it almost surely would). After my other two late losses I conceived only a few months after them so it really didn't take too long - though 5 months feels like a long time when you are living it...

Clare - I know you are on increased folate. It is a really good idea to take a b12 and a b6 supplement alongside the folate. You will see that many folic acid supplements have these two vitamins added. They work together to help improve the body's ability to use the folic acid... I am not sure if you have been given this information...

About high temps - I haven't temped since ttc my second child. I am up and down at night and up early with my kids - it wouldn't be accurate for me and doesn't fit my lifestyle. So I am not much help with that I am sorry. I am a bit of a fan of opk's though they have really helped me.

I hope you are okay...

clare076 Guest

Thankyou so much for your help.
    I am really surprised noone told me about taking the additional vitamins especially since it was confirmed Max had SB, but I will be sure to get some tomorrow, I assume I can just buy them over the counter from vitamin section, is it in 2 seperate containers or can I buy combined? I have just ordered some OPK's (50 in fact) How do I know when to start using them?

I thought Clomid triggers ovulation, I never realised it can be used to lengthen LP. I have no idea how long my LP is anymore. Before Shelby it was 14 days on the dot, but with Max I got a pos hpt at 7DPO so don't really know what to expect.

Who would have thought TTC was so involved and expensive!!!

Sorry about all the questions, I never expected to even need to ask them

Hopefully we will both have BFP for Xmas.
    x

Clare, I really know how your feel about not expecting to need all the extras... Sometimes I long for the days of simple having sex, getting pregnant and having a baby!

I don't really understand why medical doctors often don't tell you to take the b6 and the b12. The obs I am seeing now is the very first to have told me but I have been on it all now since I lost my March baby... You will be able to find stuff on it if you google it.
    B6 also helps to balance your hormones so that will help straighten things out too.

You are right that clomid stimulates ovulation. Clomid stimulates the hormone levels throughout the cycle and this includes progesterone. Low progesterone levels are what often cause the short luteal phase. So the good LH surge that happens with clomid that helps that follicle to pop out the egg flows on to encourage good production of progesterone. My LP was always 14-15 days too but did shorten up after my March angel. Because of my age we just want to get the "show on the road".

As for the opk's - it is a bit hard to know what your first cycle will do. Rule of thumb if you don't know when you will ovulate (and it's a bit iffy to rely on your post baby usual for the first cycle) I think most people would agree is to begin testing on cd10. You probably know the drill. Try to test at the same time each day using wee that you have held in your bladder for a few hours. The optimal time to test is supposed to be 2pm so that's when I try to do it. Keep testing daily until you get a positive. I personally find it hard to get a true positive but when I get a prominent second line I take it as a positive and have had good success. You can see you can go through quite a few opk's especially the first cycle or two when you are not quite sure what your body will do. Hopefully though your body will slip back into it's rythum easily and you will then only have to do the opk's a few times each month. Better still let's hope that sperm meets egg first go!

You and I will likely have similar cycle times - I am 11dpo today. So, let's hope that we get the best Christmas present ever.
    Come and join us to chat for TTC After Recurrent MIscarriage/Stillbirth/Late Loss when you feel ready...

clare076 Guest

Hey Deb
    Wanna be my Ob when I get my next BFP!!!
    I swear you have helped me more today, than any medical person I have seen.

I have also posted in the TTC thread, for some reason the mess around with the HPT today has made me feel ready to try again.

Thanks

I think I might need just a few more qualifications first!!!! Sadly I have had good reason to research and learn.
    I posted in the TTCARM/S/LL - Gosh that's a mouthful even when shortened!