Thread: How long does it take after Implanon?

Default How long does it take after Implanon?

Hi all,

After having our DD in May 07 my DH and I want to have another baby!

However I got the Implanon in January and just had it surgically removed today (ouch!).

I was just wondering, after having the contraception in for 4 months, how long does it typically take to ovulate and hopefully get a ?

:goodluck2: to us all!

xx

klsou Guest

Hi,
    I had my implanon in for about nine months during which time I had no period at all. My husband and I decided to get it removed so we could try for another baby and I got my AF about 2 weeks later. I then conceived that next month. So I guess then, I only had it out for about 6 weeks before getting a BFP. Hope this helps and goodluck!

I conceived within 3 months

Thank you klsou and Kazbah!

I have not had any bleeding since getting the implanon removed (praise God!) and two days after removal I got the egg-white CM so DH and I have been DTD every second day as my doctor advised.

I have been getting mild cramps and my breasts are a little tender (not the nipple, but around the actual breast) and I feel very tired alot.

Perhaps this is my mind hoping too much for a ! I'm very impatient and did a test this morning which of course came up but since the egg white CM I've had no discharge apart from what DH's left (bit gross, sorry).

What have been your experiences leading up to you ?? I'm very interested to hear about them.

Thanks again,
    Angie x

klsou Guest

Hi,
    I guess leading up to my BFP I felt very sick, very hungry, very tired and had sore breasts for about half a week leading up to BFP. I think you kinda always know when you are pregnant, I always had a bit of a inkling whenever I found out. It's almost a night before xmas feeling, when you know the results are going to be what you want, but you are anxious nevertheless.
    Don't know if this helps any?
    Goodluck!
    Klsou

I am still waiting for first AF to arrive after having my Implanon for 4 1/2 years. I also didn't have my periods at all (apart from some spotting). It's now been 8 weeks and still nothing.

Getting annoyed that we can't begin trying yet because there's no proof that I'm even ovulation yet!

I am also awaiting AF - my implanon has been out since early August as it's useful life expired, I was using Implanon since August 2002 (2 implants of 3 years duration). My cycles were never regular whilst using Implanon (which at the time I loved but now is a huge source of frustration) so I am not sure where I am at with a cycle and my GP has said that it is not a concern for him as yet and if it gets to 6 months and no AF then he will be concerned. Other people (medical and non-medical) have said that after Implanon it can take time which is fine I am happy to wait but I am also scared by this and don't really have anyone to talk to as I don't want to tell my family etc that we are TTC... I only want to tell them anything once there is a BFP and the 12 week mark has been passed.

My DP and I decided that after the expiry date of the second implant we would not prevent TTC so we are DTD about 3-4 times a week. I have read people's success stories after Implanon but there are just as many scary stories - especially one where it was commented that continuing the use of Implanon (ie a new implant after the first 3 years) can affect your fertility... I am just scared and confused and trying to not stress about it because I don't want stress to keep AF away any longer!!

At least if AF visited once I would know where I was at...

tk 1999

You sound exactly like me except I've had mine out since mid July and STILL nothing. It's 11 weeks today! I didn't want to tell anyone we were starting to try and conceive and just wanted to fall and it be a surprise but in the mean time I had a follow up ultrasound done to check up on a cyst and they said I had PCOS.

SO after a panic about reading that PCOS sufferers don't ovulate normally therefore their chances of conceiving are reduced, I had the blood tests and was devastated when doc told me i had PCOS. Another symptom of PCOS is lack of regular AF. (which would explain my problem atm!)

I went and got a 2nd opinion from a female doc just last week and she asked more questions about my menstrual history before Implanon (like you I have had 2, 1st for full 3 yrs and 2nd only for 1yr) She said that having polycystic ovaries doesn't mean I have the syndrome and that because my body is still adjusting post Implanon the blood tests probably aren't accurate.

She was much more hopeful and said that if AF hasn't returned by xmas time that she would run all the tests again and try and get me on some sort of medication to get me ovulating. All the other doc said is try for 12mths and see what happens!

Which is fine when you KNOW you're ovulating and your body is working ok!! But mine isn't atm.

I would love to chat to you anytime about your prob as we seem to be in the same boat right now.
    I just hope that your AF doesn't take as long as mine to return.

Best of luck, please keep me posted

Pooley
    Well I was 'diagnosed' with PCOS whilst I had my Implanon in but they said that they wouldn't be able to give me a definite diagnosis until I had the Implanon out and now it is out they are saying that it isn't something that they will look into just yet (and just for a bit of fun there was a change of GPs in the mix!!). Whilst Implanon was in I had a few cysts but they were always gone by the time of the next U/S so they didn't feel it was PCOS and then they felt it was and then they said it may just be cysts so I don't know what I have or don't have. I feel the most ironic thing about it is they say PG is the best thing for PCOS but it prevents the one thing that will help it!!

I feel you, my current GP is of the "wait and see what happens" mentality as well - me being slightly naive when my Implanon first came out thought that all would go back to normal and was hopeful I would be able to make an announcement for Christmas... but alas not everything works to plan.

Well here is to seeing AF soon... DP thinks it is hilarious that we are TTC and all I want is for AF to arrive! But at least then I would know everything is working!! I am very new to the BB format so haven't figured out where chat is yet but I would also love to talk with you... it is nice to share it with someone who is, as you said, in the same boat!

AngieT... Just wondering about an update on your life after Implanon? Did AF arrive or did you get the BFP?

ASM... I am still waiting... it was 7 weeks yesterday since it was out. I have been getting slight cramps for the past few days that feel like AF is on her way but nothing thus far... I am not dealing well with this waiting game or the unknown factor!! Would love to hear from anyone who has had an Implanon out and it 'took a bit longer' for AF to come back

Hi All

I had implanon in for four years, the first one for three years and the second one for one year. It took me 40 days to get a legitimate AF after removal, and I did not ovulate the first cycle after that AF (it was 38 days).

While I had the implant in, my cycles were all over the place, I would have a period once every three months and then another one two weeks later, and the bleeding was sometimes light, sometimes very heavy. It didn't bother me at the time though.

After removing the implant my cycles gradually shortened to 25 days then went back up to a regular 28 day cycle ovulating on CD14. I fell pregnant on the 12th cycle after removal, nearly 12 months later.

While I enjoyed implanon at first, I don't think I will ever go back to chemical birth control.

Is anyone charting to see if they are ovulating? Good luck to you all :goodluck2:.

I had implanon in for about 7 months. It took 11 months to get the baby i'm carrying now after 2 early miscarriages.

Well after having my Implanon out in early August, I got AF yesterday - all up it took her 10 weeks to return but there was medical intervention as I was put on Metformin for PCOS by the Gynae and had been on it for almost a week when she showed up.
    If you are like me and didn't get a lot of AF whilst the Implanon was in then OMG watch out for the first one... it hurts a lot.

Oscaroscar, I have just started temping... didn't really see the point when AF wasn't around but now that she has returned I started charting to see where things are...

Good luck to those TTC