Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much to babies REALLY cost?

MiyaMommy Guest

Thanks Sarah...I'll have to go for a look next time Ray has a day off

angelfish Guest

I agree with a lot of Janet's comments, ie you can spend as much as you like but there is very little that you actually need. The biggest items most people buy are cot and pram, and my kids didn't use either of these. We also paid virtually nothing for clothes as we're lucky enough to have a few friends and relatives who gave us heaps of hand-me-downs.

My list of "essentials" would be car seat (if you have a car, that is), sling (or hug-a-bub or something similar), nappies of whatever kind you intend using, and a small amount of clothes (if you ever intend having another baby, get unisex things - unless of course you don't mind your baby boy wearing nothing but pink later on).

Main things that you might be able to do without buying: cot / cradle / bassinet (most people say they'd hate to co-sleep but end up liking it, so it's probably worth a try, and you can always change the arrangement if it doesn't suit you), pram (why get a big heavy thing that you're always having to fold, unfold and carry up steps when you can use a sling?), capsule (source of many back problems, better to get a 0-4 reversible seat that doesn't have to be replaced later), heaps of expensive clothes (either your baby will be a spewer and wearing a bib all day, or your baby won't spit up much and will grow out of half the clothes before they get worn! so why not just get the basics and let the grandparents buy the occasional nice outfit for special occasions and family photos), any lotions, potions or powders (most babies don't need a shop full of "products" - you can bathe them in plain water, and if they have skin problems it's better to sample a few things to find the most suitable product to use), toys - yes, shock horror, we basically buy toys for special occasions like birthdays and that's it. You get given way too many, and even if you don't have a big family to give you things, you can get good stuff from charity shops or garage sales for very little money.

Anyway, if you believed all the "oh no, look how much kids cost!!" articles, nobody would ever have a baby and humans would become extinct!

I was a single mum when DS was four months old and doing it on my own was tough. i think the age between new born and 4 are great they dont care what they wear, anything will amuse them. nappies and formulae where my biggest expense but when they get to pre school age they want brand names and all the food with cartoon charcters on them. make the most of the first 4 years because it not really that bad. DS is 6 now and i think it is worst now then when he was a baby money wise. i had school fees the other day $800 for the term. $350 for winter uniforms. $200 for his birthday party he wants with his friends in june. $80 month on swimming lessons. $50 month on karate. plus food. plus i drive him to school 20 minutes each way 5 times a week. give me a new born/toddler anyday.

good luck. ](*,)

Im not a mum yet, although would love to be. Im going to post this comment and dont want to offend by saying it.
    The co sleeping thing, i just dont know. Im scared enough of squishing the cat when he snuggles in, during winter.Recently there was a radio station appeal for a family whose baby had died because of co sleeping with their parents. they ended up smoothering the baby.

I totally agree with tommygirls comments about babies not caring about what they wear. I still remember mum saying, would you have rathered those $45 pair of shoes when you were 2 or the money saved in the bank! thank you mum for saving the money for me. Think back 20+ years to the real costing of shoes that expensive!
    I think there are so many beautiful cheap clothes out there as well. Of course there are so that are sooooo cute. I scan some website. My Dh though it was the price for the whole outfit, not just the little top

The true blessing of being able to have a baby shouldnt be affected by money (i know you need some) but its about growing your family and love.

Sunny, the most important thing in being a parent is that you and your baby are both happy. What suits one family may be another family's idea of a horror show. Babies can be noisy little people when they sleep - they snore and snuffle and fart. Some people sleep through it and other wake up at every squeak. Until you're a mum you don't know what will work for you. I have heard of so many people who ended up doing the exact opposite of what they had planned.
    Pinky McKay defines co-sleeping as the baby being within arms reach of its carer which means that a cot with the side off or a hammock next to the bed are both co-sleeping options. They also sell little bed capsules at Target now which are designed to go in your bed between you and your partner for bubs to sleep in.
    There are safe guidleines for co-sleeping and its important to follow them. Most of the co-sleeping accidents you hear of are people who don't follow these guidelines.

I love this thread its great to see the diversity of parenting styles and needs - what some people love others can just do without and vice-versa.

Think I'm so lucky in the UK as I don't have to worry about huge obstetric bills as my NI covers all that! As our medical insurance (along with pension) is a tax, I don't even have to worry about forms or what I can or can't have!

But over here it's reccommended you don't have baby in bed with you. Though I do want a cot just off the bed so I don't have to get out of bed to cuddle/reassure baby in the night. There's also a drive for people to use real nappies, hope it's still on when I'm pg as you get a load for free if you want them!

I guess cot, car seat, baby carrier/sling OR pram (probably both, depending on where we're going) would be essential. And I know my in-laws bought some of that for BiL and his wife, though doubt they'll do that for us, but I think my parents will want to buy something (ha, be hard to stop them getting an entire nursery!). My mum can't wait to start knitting and my best friend has already bought baby romper suit patterns to make some cute outfits now she's into sewing! I'm not having DH's family's hand-me-downs as I don't get on with them and don't want to hear their snidey comments about it. Wouldn't object to some of my family giving us things though, just would have to be the people I really liked. Once we start TTC I'm going to be buying cute outfits in the sales for children up to the age of 2 so I won't have to worry about clothing the babies we have at first or when they grow.

We already have the things that people think are non-essential: The soft toys, digital camera/video recorder (in a camera, so computer movies only for now), baby music CDs, parenting and pregnancy books, we are currently baby-proofing the house too and getting rid of sharp corners or unsafe things that could, with encouragement, fall off a surface onto a head. I also have a ton of products that are fine for baby use, but DH is going to use them before I even get pg, so I guess I may need some more mild soap in a few years.

The only other thing we have to do is set up a savings account - tell grandparents, uncles and aunts the account details and tell them to spend half on the child for birthdays/Christmas/Easter and put the rest in their saver account so they can go to Uni/buy a house. I know I always got way too much when I was little as I had a big family and, TBH, didn't use most of the stuff. I still have favourite games that are battered and loved, but don't have the ones I didn't like in perfect condition: they're still taking up space at my parents.

angelfish Guest

The other thing that really helped us save money is don't be shy about telling people what you want/need. If you don't say anything, your friends and relations will buy you all kinds of things, half of which you didn't really want. And most people are grateful if you tell them, so they can spend their hard earned money one something that will be used. Also they can tell you if they spot any ridiculously good bargains.

About co-sleeping - not all babies like it. I have a bassinet and a cot, but when my babies were small I would bring them into bed with me at night if they wouldn't settle and it worked a treat and allowed me to get more sleep. My DS still likes to sleep in our bed, he will climb in during the night a few times a week. My DD however, once she got to about 6 months of age, hated it - if I put her in bed with me to settle her, she would toss and kick and cry, so I would comfort her and then put her back in her cot where she would go to sleep comfortably.

I like, however, that my kids have their own space for sleeping and co-sleeping full time is not my cup of tea. Whether or not it is "better" for babies, I think what is most important is that they feel secure and loved and I know I provide that for them even though they are not in my bed every night to sleep.

I agree, when it comes to buying baby things, babies do not need brand names and they do not care whether you buy them a $50 outfit or a $10 one. Shampoos, baby bath etc are not necessities and you may find that you get given a lot of this stuff anyway. I only ever used disposables, huggies are the best, but the woolies nappies are good value and even the home brand nappies are quite good.

Bon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12