Thread: Maybe a silly question, but...

Default Maybe a silly question, but...

Just wondering when to stop taking the contraceptive pill. My period is due on Monday. Is this when i start charting my temperature etc? I am a little confused. When I tried for my girls, I didn't realise that I could do all of these things to increase my chances of falling pregnant. If i had, they may have happened sooner!
    thanks in advance

Welcome to BB firstly

As for stopping the pill, I would assume with AF being due on Monday that you'd be having the sugar pills then? If you are just stop then. If not, well I guess you'd probably stop when AF arrives anyway! You can start charting pretty well from when your cycle starts.

HTH

Thanks Sarah
    Do I purchase an OPK too? We are going to try for a boy, I guess using the Shettles method.

Really it's up to you if you'd like to use OPKs, personally I haven't at this stage, but there are lots of people that do. It might be helpful for you trying to get your boy as the closer to O you BD, the more ikely you are to have a boy.

Thanks Sarah

MissScarlett Guest

Be careful using OPK's because you can get a positive reading a day or so before ovulation and some people may not actually ovulate for another 36-48 hours. Wait until you know it is your peak day by monitoring your mucous as well if possible! At least try some practice cycles so you at least have a vague idea of when you are likely to ovulate and go from there.

Thanks
    So is this what I should do........ Start AF on Monday (stop taking pill)
    begin charting on Fertility Friend using BBT
    monitor Mucuos also
    perhaps hold off on the OPK for a while

Start charting once AF arrives I think. If she doesn't arrive the day you finish the pill I would wait until she does, because if you use FF they will give you a chart for the last few days of this cycle IYWIM.

Goooood luck

Yeah i'd start charting now and stop taking the pill from now too. Maybe u should start with temp charting and ob CM then try OPK's if u still want more fertile info. Good luck with it all. Hope ur TTC journey is short and sweet

I would be charting CP as well as CM. Sometimes your CP is the deciding factor if you aren't sure about the type of CM or if you have scant CM as some women do tend to find.

Lisa

Thanks everyone
    I hope this morning isn't going to be an indication of how temping is going to be whilst TTC. My eldest daughter woke early morning, 2:45am, so I jumped into bed with her and put my thermometer beside the bed. I had a shocking sleep, I think because I was stressed about having a good sleep before taking my temp. Youngest daughter then woke at about 5:45 and went to the toilet and I ended up getting into bed with her.
    AF arrived today, so I am a cranky old witch anyway. (Is Evening Primrose Oil good for crankiness???) Anyway, didn't take my temp. This doesn't matter too much though does it? Do you need to take it every day?

It depends upon what part of your cycle you are in as to *how* important it is to temp each day. Personally, because I temp vaginally, I don't temp whilst AF is visiting.

But the minute she leaves, it is pretty important for you to temp each day in order to catch your thermal shift which is one of the true indicators that you have ovulated.

After you have ovulated (for sure) it isn't really necessary to temp each day although the vast majority of us do in order to see what is happening in our LP (luteal phase).

Hope that helps.

Lisa

If you miss one or two here & there it doesn't really matter. You just need to try & get all the temps in around O time. Have a look at my chart from last month (it's linked in my signature where it says TTC #2), I even got a definate O date with all that missing data!

Still not advised to miss days, especially if you are new to charting.

Do you agree with your O date on that chart Sarah? I'm not sure that I do, solid coverlines or not!

Lisa