Thread: ovulation and drinking

Default ovulation and drinking

Hello everyone

sorry if this is a bit of a silly question

I'm due to ovulate on friday or saturday next week... problem is DP and I are going out on a 'big' night out. His best friend is going overseas for a while so a small group is geting together to celebrate.

so my question is... if I drink on the friday and ovulate on the saturday (or friday) could this possibly ruin our chances of concieving?

thanks

Last edited by Jen27; March 2nd, 2008 at 06:12 PM.

I wouldn't think so.

By the time you are that close to ovulating your hormone levels are very high and it's a bit like a freight train by that point - nothing is really going to stop it

Perhaps just have one or two drinks?!? Personally I don't drink at all when I'm ttc so I wouldn't risk it. Not sure if alcohol reduces your chance of conceiving but it can increase chances of miscarriage. Bub needs the best start in life right from the very start. That's just my opinion, I guess because of my experience ttc so far I've learnt to take every precaution possible. Good luck with your ttc journey.

Alcohol can affect your fertility in general.... I've been ttc for 5mths now and when AF hits, i can't help but indulge in a few drinks because i figure if you can't have the joys of pregnancy then you may aswell have the joys of a few drinks!! :P

On our 3rd cycle ttc, we had a big night out drinking/dancing and it was that weekend that i ovulated but in saying that i was also trying to do the 'relaxed' thing that didn't work anyway!

Now, in cycle #5, I am becoming a bit more concerned and not drinking anymore now so at least I can say I was 'avoiding it' .... i think its a personal choice and just do what u r comfortable with i guess!

thanks for your input and advice girls

I agree that its a personal choice...

I think what it comes down to is that I don't want to drink at all if its going to affect our chances. I don't want to drink on friday... just feel like I'm being a bit unsocial if I don't drink and will need some excuses! I think my plan is to go and be the driver (we normally get taxis but theres a a taxi strike on soon so theres my excuse haha) or we will have a bbq night here... that way I can just make my own pretend alcoholic drinks. Its better than everyone asking questions why I'm not drinking!

Perhaps just drink 'vodka' & orange. Just don't let anyone else mix your drink for you or take a sip - otherwise they'll be none the wiser that it's just juice. Not many people know that we are ttc or have had problems so I am always making excuses.

that's so annoying when others ask why arent u drinking! even when you say i'm designated driver! they still ask why not!!!! argh!

I have come up with some good ones - (i've used them all)

* I'm on antibiotics
    * I'm driving and if i even have 1 drink i will fall asleep at the wheel!
    * I'm driving tonight and it's all or nothing for me so i can't just have 1! (good one)
    * I'm on a health kick... i've already lost 4kgs... (tee hee NOT!)
    * I am drinking...... lemonade!!!!! haha

Good luck!

I'm going to go against the grain and say if you are TTC and not actually pregnant, I would relax, enjoy a few drinks and not worry. I'm not sure about alcohol and fertility but in my experience and those of many of my friends, lots of bubs have been conceived when tipsy!! I'm not saying go get drunk everyday, but certainly enjoy your night out without thinking it's going to ruin your chances - in fact, it might even do the opposite IMO.

I agree with Jac - Many a child has been conceived while under the influence!! I'm sure DD started with a glass or two of red wine...!

Thanks for all the replies

I've been stressing alot about ttc lately so I may try and relax and have one or 2 drinks on friday... then I will use AJC's idea and drink orange juice without the vodka!

jen, we felll pg with our second MC after a massive night, so i dont think it will stop you from having your chance!
    (and dont worry, i dont think thats the reason why we lost it)