Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to ovulate twice per cycle?

Default Is it possible to ovulate twice per cycle?

I posted a quick message in the buddies forum, but thought it might be best to ask the question here.

A little history....I've been off BCP since May after being on it for over 10 years. As a teen I had VERY heavy and strong periods (it's why I went on the pill) and my cycle was 35 days and quite regular. Obviously back then I had no idea about CM so can't tell you if I had any O signs back then.

I started charting almost a month ago, and had the signs of ovulating in the first few days of July (EWCM, feeling ill, slight cramping, a drop and then higher temps - not that I had anything to compare it to until later!). This fit as AF arrived 14 days after I 'thought' I'd O'd.

Now I'm on CD9 and on Monday (CD7) I had some EWCM and felt nauseaus on Monday and quite a lot of EWCM yesterday. We didn't DTD on Monday so I know that it is EWCM not um... other stuff LOL

My folks were quite fertile, mum says she only had to look at dad and she was pg LOL. And I know she use to have bad AF visits like I do, so I'm wondering if maybe we ovulated twice per cycle? Is it even possible? Is it just my body being messed up by BCP?

DH and I DTD most days anyway (sorry if TIMI), but I would like to understand what is going on with my body. Thanks for your help.

Hi Dis I have absolutely no idea if it's possible to ov twice in a cycle - but u never know, especially if ur cycle is all over the place right now! It's definately frustrating not having control over ur body and having unpredictable signs and cycle lengths. I'll keep my fingers crossed that all ur has paid off whether u o'd once or twice. Keep us posted on any news!!!

LOL! Hi Rae, I just replied to your other thread in the Charting forum, saying how I understand your frustration!

Thanks for the support.

goldilocks Guest

Disgirl, someone else asked this question ages ago and apparently it's not possible. You may have fertile CM in more than one batch during a cycle but you can only ovulate once.

If you're unsure of when you ovulate going by CM, the best thing to do is take your temp every morning and use OPK's. The cycle I conceived, I had no fertile CM whatsoever and the only way I could tell that I ovulated was by my temps.

HTH!

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

Thanks goldilocks!

No worries - thanx for ur support too. That's the great thing about bb -we aren't alone with our frustrations and have the opportunity to recieve great advice and encouragement

Actually it apparently IS possible to O twice in one cycle but it is quite rare.

Generally what happens is that for whatever reason, your body gears up to ovulate so you get all of the signs, but it stops short and doesn't pop the egg. This is quite common apparently. Unless you're actively ttc or trying NOT to conceive, most of the time you wouldn't even be overly aware of this happening.

I do agree that temping is about the only sure way to see if you have O'd or not. Even using OPK's is not a good way to be sure because you can also get positive OPK's and still stop short of actually ovulating. When you temp, the sustained thermal shift is the clearest sign of ovulation. Blood tests and/or ultrasounds are another method. And of course the BEST indication is a BFP.

Good luck.

Lisa

Not sure of this is ovulating more than once, or just releasing more than 1 egg, as I don't really know the difference, BUT

My cousin has PCOS, only all the eggs are released, so she can have up to 7 or so each cycle that are released!!

I was told by my doctor that it is possible to ovulate twice in one cycle, which is why sometimes you may have a longer cycle and also you can get fraternal twins that way if both are fertilised.

Actually, PCOS sufferers generally don't ovulate or ovulate rarely or irregularly which is why it is so difficult for many of them to conceive.

What normally happens is that multiple follicles mature, but they don't actually pop the egg at all. Because ovulation doesn't happen, progesterone isn't made so AF is irregular or absent. The follicles can turn into small cysts which produce male hormones which further stop ovulation AND can create the male symptoms that many PCOS sufferers see such as deepening voice and excess hair production.

Lisa

I have heard that you can release more than one egg in a cycle.??

If you are a believer in the Lunar cycles?Lunar fertility,then yes, definately possible to ovulate more than once a cycle............

Could I just add something here with relation to the "Lunaception" method?

Be very careful if you decide to try this. From what I have read, you are "training" your body, using darkness and light, to take on a different rhythm.

If you suffer from any form of depression, anxiety or sleep disorder, you should consult your health professional team prior to attempting this. It alters your Cicadian Rhythm and this can be really very detrimental to some women, both physically and emotionally.

Lisa

Lisa, I am not sure what sources you are reading re lunar conception? I have only touched on the basics, but as far as I am aware there is no practical application of training at all, simply the presumption that your body ovulated mid cycle (as is commonly accepted) and also when you birth moon position comes into play, which is does every month regardless of TTC?

There are a couple of different "methods" known as lunaception and/or lunar conception. The one I'm referring to has you altering your body's rhythym via use of moonlight, or at second best, artificial light. You sleep for some days of the month in complete darkness and others in varying degrees of light in order to train (or fool) your body into a specific ovulation day/date.

If you google "Lunaception", you'll see what I'm talking about. As I said, this can be quite dangerous for people with anxiety or depression or sleep disorders.

Lisa

Lisa - yes I know that
    But she does, or at least, she told me she does.
    She says that the mulitple eggs are all released, and she has a majorly high possibility for multiple birth...she's on BB, so she might see this post and can explain properly

I'd like to hear what she says. It sounds really interesting because most PCOS sufferers I know run the risk of NO pregnancy, not multiple pregnancy.

I know from other forums (not fertility ones) that there can be a lot of confusion about PCOS and some women who have been told that they mature multiple follicles are told they have polycystic ovaries but not actually PCOS which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Lisa

oooh, well thats intersting, maybe thats what it is? it can be a mystery to unravel She should be back online next week, but I'll ask her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast