Thread: Question about Provera - HELP!!

Default Question about Provera - HELP!!

Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place - feel free to move it!!

About a month ago I thought I'd had a miscarriage as I'd gotten a BFP but then started to bleed EXTREMELY heavily. I went to KEMH and they said it was definitely a BFN, and to talk to my gyno.

He said that because I don't ovulate (not sure if its irregular or nonexistant yet) that I had a buildup of lining that was finally shedding itself, and that this could cause my BFP on a HPT, but wouldn't show up on a blood test. He gave me a 10 day course of Provera to take, to clear out anything left in there, and then in 3 weeks I've gotta do a test to see whether my tubes are blocked or whether I'm not ovulating at all.

Anyway - sorry, getting to the point! - I've been on the Provera for a week now. For the first couple of days I had some bleeding, but it was tapering off. Then, over the last 2 days, I've had heavy bleeding again, with large clots and a fair amount of pain, but only on one side at a time. WHY?? I thought it would start heavy and then get slower as there should be less debris in the uterus?

And if I'm still bleeding heavily when I'm due to stop the pills, do I keep taking them til the bleeding stops??

HELP!!

I'd really suggest calling your doctor and asking them. I was given provera to induce a period, but the period came once the pills had been stopped, not while I was taking them. Obviously, I'm no doctor, and I know that different drugs can some times be used in different ways... seems to me that the best thing to do would be call and ask the doctor - they'll know what's going on and what to do.

BW

Yeah, I figured that, but I feel like I'm ALWAYS going to the doc, and then I feel like an idiot when I get told its normal!!

Maybe that nurses helpline would work??

Don't know about the nurses helpline (I don't think we have one in NSW), but if you're a bit nervous about going to see the doctor, it can't hurt to try that first - I guess the worst they could do is tell you to ask your doctor anyway.

Just remember, you pay the doctor to treat you and provide the answers. You going to see the doctor is not creating an inconvenience, it's you seeking out the answers and treatment that you need!

(yes, I'm pushy and always at the doctor, too. I keep going until I get the answers I need!)

BW

i was told the provera was to increase the progesterone which should stop any bleeding. when the pills stop, your progesterone drops, creating AF type conditions hormone wise - and inducing a bleed - i don't think you should be bleeding at all on provera - and if it were me, i'd be off to the doctor cos it doesn't sound right

i had a friend who had a similar situation - and ended up have a d&c cos she had too much over growth of endometrium and the meds couldn't stop the bleeding - after the d&c all came good...

I'll ask about the d/c - but something the gyno says might help is a hysterosalpingogram?? Anyone had this?

the hysterosalpingogram is basically just a procedure that allows them to study the shape of the uterus and check whether the tubes are open using a kind of dye that they insert through a catheter placed in the cervix. The only thing I've heard of it helping is possibly pushing out some minor blockages of the fallopian tubes... and as far as I know, it can't be done while bleeding - apparently pushing the blood back through the tubes and out into the abdominal cavity is a bad thing.

I really thing a call to the doctor is in order here. Sorry sunflowa, I know that's not what you wanted to hear!

BW