Thread: TTC & Depo Shot

Question TTC & Depo Shot

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can share their story on ttc after being on the Depo shot? I was taking this form of contraception for approx. 2 years and have only just now, 9 mths since the last injection, gotten my first period in 2 1/2 years. I heard from my gp and read on various websites that it can take up to 18 months for your cycle to return to normal but I'm just wanting to hear from anyone who might have been in a similar situation and how long it took them to fall pregnant. This will be our first child and we are eager to fall pregnant as soon as possible.

Hi Nae,

My last shot was Dec 06, I'm still trying. I had the opposite prob - continuous bleeding and that took probably 5-6 months to sort itself. I started taking Vitex for a few months and that worked wonders.
    I'm still philosphical about the TTC thing but I can see it wearing thin soon.

Smile TTC & Depo

Kim,

Thanks for replying so soon and sharing your experience with the Depo shot. I don't think I ever would have used this method if I had know the side effects i.e. stuffing up your cycle so bad.

I will be getting some blood test results back next week after seeing my gp who suggested we do this to check my hormone levels however this was prior to getting my first period since being off the depo shot. I am hoping she only has good news for me & my husband but I'm sure the wait will play with my mind just as it did once I had first found out about the whole 18 mths or longer situation.

Unfortunately I am the type of person that when they get something in their head, for me it's having a baby asap, it is hard to concentrate on anything else. I am trying very hard to stay positive and not push myself or my husband to make this happen overnight but to let it happen when it is meant to.

Good luck with the TTC!

Sym Guest

Hi,

I was on Depo for about 5 years and never had a period in that time. I came off it in November 02, from memory I had about 2-3 periods after that. We weren't TTC (withdrawal method) but found out I was pregnant in May 03 after we BD with purpose! IYKWIM?

So it took me about 6 months to get pregnant but it could have been earlier maybe if we were trying.

We are now trying for #3 and hoping that we get a girl.. (implanon removed in January).. Good luck with everything!

Default TTC & Depo

Sym

Thanks so much for your positive story, it makes me feel better to hear that there are success stories out there as on doing a Google search on the subject I only found the bad ones which really deflated my hopes.

I have another GP appt. next week so I'm sure she'll be pleased that my period has returned and also I am hoping she'll have some positive news regarding my blood test to check my hormone levels. If all is good then it should just be about getting my body in better shape while TTC.

Thanks again.

Nae I totally understand hun. I hope everything comes back well for you too.
    I think i would drive myself crazy if I focused on that (that desperate need), and I figure getting angry at a decision I made will offer nothing positive for my body.
    Like you i've just been trying to look after me.

Nae - I had one shot of Depo back in September 2006. Decided not to get the 2nd shot as we were thinking about TTC. It took 10 months for my cycle to return; got it back July 2007 but my cycles were all over the place - 32 days, 28 days, 18 days, 23 days. Decided to try Vitex and the month I started it was the month I fell pregnant; call it coincidence but I still think Vitex had a part to play in me falling pregnant. DH and I only DTD twice around my fertile time the month we conceived.

I was exactly like you; I feared the worse and didnt think it would happen as soon as it did as my doctor had told me to expect it to take up to 12 months so we were both very shocked to get our BFP in November last year.

Good luck..... there is hope! I am proof