thread: Making your own flour

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Making your own flour

Just wondering if anyone makes their own flour? We're a household with all sorts of food intolerances so I have been thinking abt grinding my own flour. But I'm not sure what is the best way/equipment to do it with. I'd like to grind my own organic rice flour for example.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I do it all the time. I have a Thermomix and it's great for it.

I've made rice flour, chickpea flour, nut meals...

Talk to some of the other thermomix girls they'll be able to tell you more. There are some with intolerances too.

And speaking of flour I make my own baking powder too.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Same. I'm gluten intolerant and make my own flour in the Thermomix. It's easy peasy and cheaper than buying lots of different flours. Saying that, I havent and wont try making potato flour or sorghum flour.

You can also use it to make rice or oat milk, nut butters, yoghurt and other stuff like that. As well as normal cooking, steaming etc.

Jan 2012
    WA

Thermomix here... Though i do look and the lovely wooden grain mills with envy, they are just works of art. I do my own wheat, spelt, chic pea, lentil, rice flours and Almond meal.flour is lovely for baking.

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Rouge: Oooo ur own baking powder. That's cool!!! What's in it if u don't mind me asking. I always wondered.

L&B: why not potato & sorghum flour?

Thanks girls! I have a kitchenaid and was looking at their grinding attachment but the review wasn't too great. Thought there must be another way.

Sent from my smart phone using Tapatalk.(Occasional fat fingers syndrome might occur)

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

L&B: why not potato & sorghum flour?
    Because I'm lazy and don't know how . I don't know if I could source sorghum beans anyway. Never thought of it. But for rice flour, I just buy rice. For almond meal, buy almonds. It's cheaper and the flour is less likely to go rancid if you just make what you need as you need it.

A Thermomix is $1939 but I think there may still be an interest free finance deal on at the moment.

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Lol!! I did a gluten free bread making course sometime ago. The instructor is an ex-pastry chef who developed gluten intolerance. So her bread was like mix of different type of flour. She raves abt sorghum flour. I do wonder where to get
    Sorghum if I want to make it.

Hmmmm maybe I need to hint up for Xmas/birthday/next year's mothers day/valentines present. (any other reasons I should include)

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Excusseee mee!! *puts hand up* I got another question, how much flour do you make each time? Is that the max? Or you reckon the machine can handle it more?

Ktanxnow! *puts hand down* (I'm getting excited coz I just read the thermomix thread).

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

The Baking Powder recipe is from the EDC (everyday cookbook that comes with the thermomix), I think it's rice flour, Bicarb & Cream of Tartar (I think?!) Something like that. It made so much I've only made it once and I bake a lot!

You neeeeeeeeeeeeeed a thermomix. Cultofmix is calling you!

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Cultofmix!!! Lol

Jan 2008
    Brisbane

Bloody thermomix is there nothing it does do

I want one 'said with red face and stamping feet '

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

I haven't made flour in a while but I think I grind about 150-200gm at a time. The Thermomix has scales, so I just pour in, grind for 3-10 seconds, pour out. Pour more in, grind, pour out. Whether it's rice, buckwheat, quinoa, whatever.

I make my own castor and icing sugar that way too. I only buy organic raw or rapadura sugar now.

The other flour I'd like to source is teff flour. I've seen it in American GF recipes but can't find it in Australia.

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Also, I buy sorghum flour from Indian groceries. If you try health food shops, they'll charge a fortune for something that costs $3-5 at an Indian grocery.

Jul 2010
    Rural NSW near ACT

I don't have a thermomix. I am however looking into what they do after reading this thread.
    When I was growing up we lived on a farm and my (very hippy) parents did a self-sufficiency thing for a while. Cue violin music when I had to front up to school with ingredients for white flour scones (home ground wheat flour, wholemeal of course and goats milk and homemade butter.....arrgghhh for a 14 yr old!). My nasty old HE teacher gave me SUCH a tough tie for not having SR white flour........I now think she didn't know how much baking powder to use :-)
    We had a flour grinder with a little electric motor....the finer the flour you needed the tighter you wound the two stones together. Dad tried growing wheat for a while which was fairly unsuccessful but we did manage to make some bread with our own grown wheat flour.
    The whole SS thing was interesting but hard work 'specially for a kid who didn't want to stick out at school too much!

Sep 2011
    Melbourne

Thanks L&B! Teff flour. Haven't seen that. I'll keep my eye out. We have a local sorta nut/grain/food shop that's pretty good with range avail. But I haven't managed to get sorghum flour of them yet. I reckon they'll grind anything as long as they can source it & I give them enough notice.

Kateo: did ur dad have a chat with my husband? He was trying to 'tell me' abt growing rice or some grain. Errrrr, we live in the burb so u can imagine the size of the 'backyard'.

I did however pipe in abt I might need a thermomix to grind the flour. ;-)