Thread: Pressure Cookers

Default Pressure Cookers

Anyone got one? Is it good? What sort of things do you cook in it?

I have seen them around and love the idea of them but not quite sure besides making stews quickly what I can do in them?

I'm thinking of adding it to my wishlist!

Ok so I may have a kitchen appliance/gadget addiction!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Oooo gee that sounds nothing like the ones I've looked at LOL! They have been the size of a large pot (like a small pasta/stock pot) with a lid that clips on? LOL! I think if it was HUGE I'd definitely think twice LOL! Beef strog... what a great idea!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Awwww thats sooo cute I hope Paris has similar memories when she grows up

*hugs*
    Cailin

My Mum had one Cai - a Silver one and it was HUGE! Mind you, we're talking about 10-15 years ago! My memory of it is yummy corn silverside, the BEST pea and ham soup and the BEST chicken noodle soup! The downside was my Mum was, well, easily distracted and she'd often forget it was on and then the pressure would get too much and it would end up all over the kitchen! I'd love to get one but DH tells me I've too many "appliances"

Fletch - I remember that sound too! And the high pitched whistle! When I heard that one I knew there was a good chance I'd be cleaning up a mess soon!

Brooke our mothers have too much in common...

Thank goodness for my grandmother from whom I got my inspiration to cook...

*hugs*
    Cailin

We always used one when making shreaded beef for mexican dishes or any dish using shreaded meat. I know we definately used it for BBQ shredded beef...*drool* I think it was used around once a month to make a massive amount of food which was frozen.

Brooke & Cai... I think this is the only thing I remember being cooked. Honestly it was take out 5 nights a week at our house & fend for yourself the other 2.

I'm scared of them lol. It's one of my lame but unshakable childhood fears. I worry that they will expode or the little knob will fly off. I still try to find excuses to be elsewhere when there is one in the same room as me.

I have my Mum's hand me down pressure cooker Cai, and I love it. I only seem to make 'Wombat Stew' (Beef Stew) in it cause my family love it. And yes, it's burnt orange retro, but it is so easy to use, and the meat is soooo tender. My family love it! (I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat it) I always have wombat stew in the freezer to whip out for dinner at a moments notice. Blake scoff down his!

I really should find some other recipes.

BTW, Kate, if you read this thread, the stew I bought down to you was 'Wombat Stew' in the pressure cooker.

My mum still uses her burnt orange pressure cooker!

Corned beef, and something minced beef, that's all I can remember other than the sound ...

kerry Guest

I use mine all the time, not burnt orange though.

It is absolutely the only way to cook corned beef and more than halves the cooking time. I also do stews in it and vegies for mashing. Mine as a steamer plate as well that is great for the vegies. I also use it to cook pasta and rice as it is quicker.