Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the CSIRO diet?

Can you do the diet while pregnant.. I mean if its a healthier way to eat and your not really restricting yourself, is it bad to keep going if i do get pregnant while on it??

I really want to lose my last baby weight before my next one, or i have a feeling i'll just put on 5kg per child - so when i finish my family i'll be like 50kg heavier, which really worries me!

Sana - the food is really nice isn't it? There were only one or two things i didn't really like, like you i just swapped them around. I found it a bit pricy starting out but once you have all the herbs and garnishes then i was acutally spending less on my grocery bill than normal. Where did you pre-order your copy of the second book from?

Jodi Lee - goodluck with the diet, you won't be dissappointed!

Yael - i'm not sure if they have Big W stores in Victoria but i got my copy from there and only paid $19.95. I read that the new book is going to sell for $34.95. You can have dairy on the diet and I'm pretty sure you can do it while pregnant - i can double check my book if you like but i think i remember reading a page about the extra foods to add in if your pregnant or breastfeeding.

I read on their website that you can do it while breastfeeding or pregnant. You can have dairy. New book is selling for $34.95. I'm getting mine from a bookstore so I don't pay postage as well.

I bought my copy of the second edition from Angus and Robertson yesterday for $24.94. I was surprised that it was cheaper than the recommended retail price. I pre-ordered mine a week and a half a go, but it turns out that I didn't need to. DH who picked it up for me said they have stacks of copies on the shelves.

The second edition is definitely better. It has more recipes, and it has a very do-able exercise program. The first one doesn't give you an exercise program, it just says do 30mins exercise a day, which is easier said that done.

Having been in this diet for the last week, I'm thrilled with it. It's not really like being on a diet, but more watching what you eat and eating yummy, filling meals. The book (either edition) is worth getting as a recipe book alone. Most recipe books only have one or two recipes that I would consider making, but this one has had a great new recipe for dinner every single day. Even my super fussy husband likes the food.

I sometimes add a bit extra if I'm hungry, usually a light yogurt, a Le Rice, or half a cup of light milk to fill the gap between meals, and I've still lost about one and a half kilos in the last week.

Hey Susannah (love your name btw.. my mum is Suzanne which is close)

It was only $24.95? Really, i better go get one today, thats so good b/c 1st ed ones on ebay are that price.

Thanks for letting me know..

Lets just hope DH and I lose some weight!

Sounds like your off to a great start Susannah! Well done. I can't wait to get my book - I ordered mine from Dymocks because i had so much trouble finding a copy of the first one - but they're posting it to me so i won't get it until next week. I can't wait to make a start, i'm hoping to lose at least 6kgs by xmas

Dymocks also have them for $24.95 Forgot to add they also had a write up about the book in yesterday's paper and they were saying they have made the menu more economical in this edition

Thanks for the comments re. my name . Yes the new edition says it has more economical meals. The first one asked you to buy a fair bit of lean beef, but they say they have changed it to make it more economical which is good. I've already bought the food for the second week of the first book, so I will be starting the first week of the second book with you girls next week.

DH was saying that I look good this morning, and he wishes he could lose weight too. Well yeah, of couse he can. He's already having the diet for tea (der), he really just needs to stop snacking on chips etc. in bed watching TV. I thought it would be hard not eating treats all the time, but after a few days, you don't even miss them. Well, I wouldn't mind something once in a while, but don't want to ruin all of my good work by making it a habit.

Just to give you a preview of the exercise program, they say to walk 3-5 times a week (you start doing it 3 times and gradually increase as the weeks go by). And to do resistance exercises 2-3 times a week. All you need for the resistance exercises is what they call a resistance tube. It's this stretchy resistance tubing with handles. I've seen them on eBay for around $15. So the good thing about the exercise, is that they set realistic goals, and it's not going to cost you heaps either.

Susannah - how are you finding it?
    Has anyone else started yet?
    I got my book last night and am ready to go for Monday - DH has decided to do it with me to

I also just got the 2nd book.

Almost finished reading it, then DH will, and then we are starting together.

I want him to read it so he understands it all, not just me saying eat this, eat that etc...

Looks like there is a lot of preparation time.. although i think after a few weeks it might be easier.

I like that i can do it while b/f.

Hopefully we will start in a week or 2.

I'm on book 1 atm, but will be starting book 2 on Monday as well. My DH is eating the meals at tea time, but I'm a bit slack with organising the lunches and breakfasts for him. There's a really nice museli recipe in the book, so I will make a batch of that for us to share next week. He's not keen in salmon or tuna for lunch, but he loves it if I make him a chicken salad for lunch at work. If I use the frying pan for tea, I'll cook one chicken breast after tea, and slice it in the morning, and make a salad for each of us for lunch. DH and I both really like that.

From memory, the dinner on day one of the new edition book looked like it needed a lot of work to make it. I've picked a different beef recipe (steak and mushroom pie) to have that day, but will follow the rest of the recipes for week one as they are in the book.

started week one book one on Tuesday and have lost a kilo up to this morning so am pretty impressed. first day was hard but has improved immensely.

don't know if its playing up with the b/f or whether its just coincidence as bubs had not been great for the last few nights (waking all the time) and is having lots of gas and wanting to suck permanently

finding it expensive for us who used to buy very little fruit and vege and i've found theres a lot of prep time but i think that will improve once i have a mental idea of portions cause currently i'm weighing everything.

we were high carbs eaters before so I do miss my carbs a bit but now that i'm full longer its not so tough. but please oh please who's going to invent a low carb chocolate cake - then I could stick with any diet LOL
    Last edited by jaspen; November 3rd, 2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: extra stuff

Sounds like you are doing well Jaspen. I think you need extra calories while you are breastfeeding, and you are losing weight quite quickly, so perhaps you could eat a little more of some things, eg. an extra slice of bread per day, and as long as you are still losing weight, it should be fine. In book two, they have revised the amount of dairy you need, and say you need one more unit of dairy (eg. one serve of yogurt) per day than recommended in the first book. Perhaps these things would help with your milk production, and keep baby more settled.

At 4 months both of my babies started to wake more at night, and were more of a handfull than they had been at 3 months. I have heard and read that there is a change in their sleeping at this age. Something to do with coming in and out of deep sleep more often I think. So, maybe it's his age as well???

I've found that some of the veg isn't really necessary, especially some fresh herbs which are used mainly for garnishes. Others you can substitute fresh herbs for dried which saves a bit of money. They say that you can substitute any food for another in the same food group, as long as it's the same quantity. I'm going to start changing the meals a bit to make them a little cheaper to make, and so there will be less waste. Book two has recognised that the meals were expensive in book one, and has tried to make the meals a bit more economical. They do often call for minced lamb (for making hamburgers etc.) which may be hard to find. A friend told me that she's seen minced lamb at Coles, otherwise it might be something you need to ask for at a butcher. In week one of the second book there is a meal with calamari. If I can't get that at a good price, I'll just cook one of the other fish recipes.

Sorry for rambling on. Good luck everyone!

Well I went for the level 3/4 program cause they recommend 2000-3000kJ more if breastfeeding but yeh I was going to give it til next week - see how the weight loss settled given you often lose a lot in the first week and then it slows down and then reassess cause yeh if I keep losing this fast I'm definitely not getting enough and my suppoly will be affected. I was also trying to give it a couple of days such that I could see whether it was just a stage or not.

Interesting about the extra dairy - hubby will be pleased to hear that!!! Thanks for all the info Susannah.

For those looking - I got book one from Big W for under $19 but they didn't have book 2 in yet.

Sounds like a good plan Jaspen. Keep in touch, it will be great to hear how you go. I'm hoping to keep to it long term, so I'll be around to chat about it for a while .

Hey Susannah - how's it going???

Weighed myself this morning and it's been 1.4kg loss since last Tuesday so it will be interesting to see how things balance out this week. Got the second book over the weekend so some more recipes and ideas - will have to get DH onto the exercise program although he is being pretty good and doing his exercise most days some of the strength stuff would probably be good - me on the other hand I'm just sweating out in the heat and doing the housework - so probably should get onto exercises so its not just my muscles waisting away.

Have you tried the seafood paella out of book one?? we had that on the weekend ( asubstitute we made) and if you like both risotto and seafood this was amazing?????

I bought book #2 for $20 in Big W on Saturday for those interested. I started on the weekend and already can feel such a difference. Nina is so much more content during feeds and has dropped one feed at night already! I'm feeling great and I think this is actually going to work

I haven't actually started yet, but we are def. going ahead with it - hopefully long term for like 6 months, as we would both like to lose around 15-20kg

On the plus side, i weighed myself this morning and i've lost 3kg from doing nothing!

I'm going to try this week to make a plan for the next few weeks, as i can't use a lot of their weekly plans as they aren't kosher.

Hopefully we can start next week sometime.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast