Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried the CSIRO diet?

thats great Jodi Lee - I wish I could say its had the same affect on my little one - although then again I'm hoping its got nothing to do with the diet and is just yet another one of those stages.

Yeh we picked our book two up a kmart so it seems they've made the major department stores.

Keep up the positive motivation and for me other than the odd hour here or there it seems like the easiest "diet" ever - I suppose cause for me its been mainly about improving my eating habits. The other thing now that I've settled in a bit and am not hungry as I was a little in day one/two I'm not drinking as much which in the humid heat we're having up here at the moment is not great.

good luck Yael - actually its the meal plan aspect (whether devising your own or sticking with there's) whilst still having the flexibility that I'm enjoying - I have never done that type of thing before its always been a"ah what to have for dinner tonight" and thus quite often what I enjoy or is rather than ensuring its regularly healthy.

Hi all,
    I'm doing well. I've almost lost enough weight really. Maybe one or two more kilos and I'll be done. I'll try and keep on the diet, or a modified version for the long term though.

Exercise wise, I've just been walking every second day. I'm feeling like I need to build up my muscles though, so I should really get into some exercises for building strength.

I haven't tried the Paella from book one. I've tried making risotto a couple of times before, and I'm just no good at it at all .

Having a closer look at book two on the weekend, I realised that there are a lot of times where they ask you to refer to book one for the such and such fish rub before you cook it for example. This is a bit dissapointing, as I have book one now, but I won't when I return it to the library. I'm thinking of writing down everything like that from book one, so I can follow book two if you know what I mean. If it doesn't take me too much time. If anyone else wants to know something from book one, let me know in the next few days, and I can tell them what it is.

My food shopping bill hit an all time high on the weekend. I'm going to change things next week. Instead of following the shopping list at the back of the book, and the diet plan week by week, I'm just going to pick my favourite (reasonably piced to make) meals, and have them from now on. I might photocopy some favourites from book one before I return it to the library.

Yael congrats on losing weight from doing nothing . At one stage I took up going for walks every day, just for the fun of it with the kids, and I lost weight without changing my eating habits. Unfortunately I stacked it back on when I stopped walking. I guess with this lack of rain in Aust. atm, there's no excuse to stop walking.

bye for now
    Last edited by Sana; November 6th, 2006 at 11:12 AM.

Sana - I have book one - so don't panic if you miss something I should be able to help you out. Although I will b away all of December but otherwise here to help.

Great job with the weight loss - can I ask how much you lost over what time frame???

I know what you mean about the food bill - and with fruit and vege being the price they are - agh!!!!!

Jaspen, thanks for offering to help re. book one, I'll keep you in mind (except Dec ). I've lost 3 kilos in two weeks. My goal was to lose 4 or 5 kilos, so I'm lucky I didn't have a real lot to lose. Just losing 3 kilos has made a big difference to the way I look, and my confidence, so that's good. I've just got to keep the motivation up to keep on going.... for life.

Re. the food bill, I think with some fine tuning, we'll be able to adapt the food plans to our budget. For example, this week pesto was on the list, so I bought that. It turns out that you use like one or two teaspoons of it on some toast. I may as well skip that, and save myself $4 or whatever it cost. I've had a look at the jar, and it contains peanuts. My son is allergic to peanuts, so I'm going to give the jar to a friend anyway. I don't like to risk opening something like that in the house. There's lots of examples like that though, were you can skip things and save a lot of $$$.

Congrats on the weight loss - I'd be real happy if I can keep that up for the four weeks before we go away (our holiday in the states will probably blow it but will be back into it once we are home and will try while away to do what we can)

yeh I know what you mean about reducing $$$. I go through the actual menu plan for each week and develop my shopping list from that and if there is stuff that I am only going to use once and not again in the next two weeks or use up I look for a substitute food/meal or don't buy - eg the paella had saffron in it which I left out (didn't have it but it can be expensive too but it was still yummy!!) I think I"m even going to look at the veges and replace some where it indicates expensive ones that I could use something cheaper - eg this week has snow peas at $12.95/kg where as I'm sure I could use beans or something green but cheaper and get a similar result. I just want to settle into the flow a bit before I start playing too much and experiment with the meals to find what I like and don't. I'll also be looking at the meat cuts and making sure the regular ones aren't the expensive ones - had lamb racks the other week and savoured every mouthful due to the price of the lamb.

I need to lose a total of 7kg to be back to pre baby #2 weight (1.5 done 5.5 to go)and then another 6kg to be at pre baby #1 and then another 7kg to be at my dream (but I dont know whether these last 7 are that realistic as it is getting right down in my healthy weight range)

I figure if I stage my goals they'll seem more achievable - especially if I hit a bump at any stage
    I just keep remembering that if I was on a lot of other diet plans I'd be spending extra money so hopefully it all balances out

Understand the peanuts situation - my niece is allergic so everytime she comes to visit the cupboard gets rearranged, all the foods that she eats get rebought and labelled so they are not contaminated for her.
    Last edited by jaspen; November 6th, 2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: language

We started on book 2 yesterday. We have a sunday fruit & veg market near our house and if you get there early they sell fresh fish straight off the boat. I used to go there all the time but got slack and haven't been there for ages - i went there on Sunday and got all my fruit and veg for this week for $25 and the fish and squid for $15 (the man even cut the squid into rings for me) I remember when i did book one i spent a lot more than that on fruit & veg a week so i'll deffinately be going there every Sunday. Most of the other herbs & spices i had from when we did book one so i didn't have to buy any of them so my shopping bill was reasonably cheap this week. I've just finished taking part in a 40 day physical activity study at the Adelaide Uni so exercise has been part of my daily routine for the past 6 weeks - i'm just hoping i can keep it up now that there is nobody keeping an eye on me! DH & I are going to have a weigh in every Sunday - i'm hoping to loose 7kgs by xmas (1kg a week is my goal) anything extra will be a bonus. I think by making my goal to loose 1kg a week will make it easier for me to stay focussed rather than just focusing on loosing 12kg i'm just taking little steps lol.
    Sounds like you girls are doing great so far, I think reading about all your success is going to be great for the motivation. I've also got a copy of book one so if anyone needs any info out of it i'd be more than happy to help

Boo I'm in Adelaide too. Which market are you talking about? It sounds great! Thanks for offering any info re. book one. I hope the recipes in book two are as good as book one. DH whinged about last night's tea, but he's pretty fussy. We had the chicken from week one book two. I thought it was nice, and my one year old looooooved it. But then, he's not fussy at all LOL. I'm a bit nervous about cooking the calamari this week. I bought some from Woolworths, frozen, still in those big tube shapes. It didn't work out that cheap. I get scared about cooking seafood for some reason, I feel like I'm going to mess it up, and it will be like money down the drain.

Hey Susanneh,
    The markets i'm talking about are the Torrens Island markets, down near Port Adelaide. My squid only cost me $6.00, i thought that was a bargain and I know it's fresh - he was only just taking it out of the bucket as i got there. DH is funny with squid, he only normally eats it if he's caught it himself so he knows its fresh.
    The receipes seem alot different from book 1 - there wasn't anything in that book that we didn't like (except for that porridge/oat stuff - i couldn't stand it! Tasted like someone had harvested the wheat and put it in my bowl straight out of the paddock lol). We're having the chicken tonight - i prepared it last night so its ready to go in the oven when i get home, if it tastes as good as it smells i think it will be ok. Hopefully your DH likes the rest of the meals, I'm lucky that DH isn't fussy and will eat just about anything.

Boo thanks for letting me know where the markets are. I've never been to the Torrens Island Markets before. I'll have to make the trip one day. Isn't that porridge oat stuff in the new book? I didn't see it in book one, but I tried the one is book two, and yeah, it tastes a bit weird. When fussy DH saw it, he wasn't even game to try it LOL. I still have some stitting in the fridge. I find that some bought cereal suits me best. Tonight I'm making those beef shaslicks with the cous cous and fancy dipping sauce from week one (day one I think) of the second book. It looks like it's going to be a huge job. I was actually going to swap that one for something else, but didn't have time to change the shopping list on Saturday. I'll let you know how I get on. You're supposed to use a food processor for the sauce, and I don't have one of those, so I'll just be chopping things up fine and hope for the best.

Hi Susanneh, yep the instant oat stuff is in book one as well - i just eat weet bix in place of it! Have you tried the museli they have the receipe of in book two? I haven't had time to make it up yet.
    How did your shaslick sauce turn out? I couldn't be bothered dragging out the food processor so i just threw all the ingreadients into the blender and it did the same thing.
    4 days in and i feel like i've lost a bit of weight already, it will be interesting to see what the scales tell me on Sunday!

Boo I think the breakfast recipe I was talking about was the museli from book two. Bircher's museli or something. It's not that good. In fact I threw the second half away. I'm having Uncle Toby's Plus Museli Flakes from breaky, and it's really yummy and filling. I think it may technically have more sugar that it should, but it's serving me well.

I have to admit, I copped out of making the shaslicks (hangs head in shame). I didn't have a lime (there weren't any at Woolworths), and I didn't know what to use as a substitute. The meat I had bought was a beef roast, so instead of cutting it up, I cooked it as a roast.

Today I'm planning to do the lamb chops with polenta.

I think I've lost more weight this week too. Once I get to my ideal weight, I think I'll just go to a maintenance plan of high fibre cereal for breakfast, make sure I have protein (ham, turkey, salmon, tuna or egg) with lunch, and our normal dinners. In between I'll keep snacks down to either yogurt, le rice, or fruit, with the occasional treat thrown in. That way I'll stay on track, without having to think about it much. I'm going to keep using the CSIRO book as a recipe book. I'll be sorry to see book one go back to the library. Maybe I'll pick up a cheap copy on eBay (if they get cheaper now).

Lol was there a lime in the shaslik receipe? I must have missed that part because i didn't use one! A roast beef sounds yummo.
    We're having the chops tonight to. I've never tasted polenta before so i hope its ok.
    I'm pretty fussy when it comes to cereals so i might give the museli thing a miss and stick to my weetbix.
    I'm planning on doing the same thing once i get to my goal weight, i haven't actaully got as far as reading the maintenance plan in the book yet.

anabelle06 Guest

Red face

Hi, I just started the CSIRO diet today and so far I have found it to be really good I'm not quite sure what my starting weight is (don't own scales) I think it's between 75-80kg but I do have a tape measure, so I'll post my measurements and update them once a week on Sundays

Bust:105cm
    Arm:35.5cm
    Leg:71cm
    Thighs:114cm
    Waist:102.5cm
    Hips:110.5cm
    Backside:120.5
    Neck:33cm

Hi anabelle,
    Congrats on getting started. I bet you'll be happy with your results in a week.

See you round,

Well I lost 2kg in my first week! I'm hoping i can keep it up to at least 1kg per week. I have been a bit slack with the exercise so far this week but i'm going to try and make up for it for the rest of the week!

Congrats on losing 2kgs boo! Yes I think finding time for the exercise is the hardest bit. I've done o.k so far with only going for a walk every second day or so.

This week I decided to use the book as a recipe book, and just picked out my favourite recipes to have for tea. Last night we had the hamburgers (or should I say lamburgers) with tziki, and they were really yummy.

Congrats boo - I'm slack with the exercise too - do very little but am still losing although will have to be careful to make sure I don't lose all muscle mass.
    I lost another 1.5 so 2.9kg in two weeks so very happy - hope it continues at least until we go away. Am not finding it hard at all now except when out and look lovingly at the chocolate cake LOL. In fact I'm finding I'm not eating everything in a day so need to make sure I do that or I'll be missing out on the balance part again. I think this has a lot to do with the heat up here at the moment though and just the fact that I'd rather drink than eat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast