Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Anonymous

Default Eating Anonymous

Hi my name is Cat and I am addicted to eating.

I thought since my relationship with food seems to be a love/hate relationship and since I don't have any control over it any more I would start treating it like an addiction. So I have looked at the 12 steps that are for aa and I am going to apply them here.

I have struggled with my weight for years, and I don't like the idea of going to WW or JC cause it costs so much. Why does the industry charge so much for helping us keep our weight normal? We have ads for those companies right next to fast food ads, we get so many mixed messages in our lives, no wonder some of us have no control. So on that line of thinking I want to start my own EA thread. Feel free to join me on my journey as I try to see if the 12 steps work for eating addictions. It doesn't cost anything to join

So Step 1:
    I am powerless over my eating. I eat for comfort, for anger, for sadness, for happiness, I am always thinking about food. I no longer control my eating, it controls me. My life is out of control.

ah, I think I need to do what alcoholics do and remove all 'bad' foods from my house. I just can't help myself. Cravings for chocolate, cheese, biscuits anything really, I just want to eat.

I have just sent a message to a friend who is a fitness instructor to see if she can be my personal trainer. The problem is how do I make time? I feel bad enough spending 4 days a week at work, I will miss even more time by going to the gym or working out. I also have so many injuries that I think that all I am going to do is reinjure myself

Just a poor me post, measurements today were
    bust 106cm
    waist 100cm
    hips 120cm

here is hoping this is the worst it is going to be, I can't even bring myself to get on the scales

I know exactly what you mean about eating hun; I will often just grab random 'bad' things i am craving out and devour them - crackers with blue cheese, chips, soft drink, sweet and sour pickles, dips...whatever, and just eat it all. When these times happen I have no self control, it's really embarrassing. No real point to this post, but just wanted to show my support and let you know you're not alone. But you DO have the power to change it

Quote Originally Posted by ryatha View Post
    I have just sent a message to a friend who is a fitness instructor to see if she can be my personal trainer. The problem is how do I make time? I feel bad enough spending 4 days a week at work, I will miss even more time by going to the gym or working out. I also have so many injuries that I think that all I am going to do is reinjure myself
    Well done Cat! You've made the first and a very important step! Making that call and then starting physical exercise when you feel so beaten is a hard thing to do. But it can be done. I applaud you!

I read your post and couldn't help but reply. A little more than 12 months ago I began a blog on BB to document my own weight loss journey (I ceased blogging when life took over... but my journey continues!). The link to my blog is still in my sig, feel free to have a read. When I started I was 116Kg and petrified of entering a gym. Pre-DD I had been a bit of a gym junkie and had always been very fit. Being an ex-dancer and State sportswoman, I am riddled with injuries. unfortunatley, about 3 months into my fitness journey with my personal trainer, I developed a very serious injury that almost sidelined me for good. But you know what? We worked together. My treatment team and my PT communicated regularly (a little too regularly on occassions! Bit embarrassing when they threaten to dismantle your home gym on you because you won't tow the line!) and we developed a SAFE exercise program to assist me in both reaching my personal goals (weight loss) and rehabilitating my injury. It has been a long long road but one I haven't given up on. My weight loss has been hindered by my injury but still on my radar. My injury is much better (would have been better sooner had I followed the treatment plan ). So don't let fear of injury stop you from doing this. If you're up front about your injuries and follow the fitness plan and listen to your body, you will be fine. "Don't let the fear of failure be greater than the fear of regret".

Good luck with your journey!

MG

Good on you Cat for having the guts to open yourself up and put it out there. Hi, my name is Donna and I'm an emotional/boredom eater and ruled by the contents of my pantry far more often than I think is healthy. I've had an obsession with food for almost as long as I can remember - swinging between eating disorders that damage my mental health as well as my physical health, and then back to eating because I'm bored, sad, angry, depressed, stressed out, or have nothing else to do - then putting on weight, hating myself and eating more, and more, until I crack and starve myself for months on end. It's a vicious cycle, and I've grown to become suspicious of EVERY bit of food in my house, but rely on it for comfort.
    I'd never thought of applying the 12-step program to something as 'normal' as eating - but you know what? I think it's a brilliant idea. I'll definitely tag along for the ride, I hope this is able to help you overcome your difficulties with food. *hugs*

congrats on taking this 1st step to a healthier you i look forward to your progress

Count me in!

I've been addicted to food as long as I can remember... my most embarassing moment was in year 5 in Primary School when we made cheese scones and we all tasted one - I liked them so much I asked to have a second one and she answered 'yes' to someone else's question, but I didn't realise and scoffed another one. She gave me a filthy look and everyone else had to eat another one because I did Never admitted that before...

My sig says I'm at 103 kgs, but I'm probably more like 105 ATM I did buy nice stuff for salads at the market this morning and plan on actually eating it for lunches throughout the week to see if it helps me balance my diet better.

I remember the last time I lost weight (18kgs before DS came along) and I had to break my carb addiction... that's the worst. But I remember what it was like once I had. There were times where I didn't think about food... it just didn't worry me!! I want to get there again.

Thanks Cat - I hope you inspire us all and yourself while you're at it. (BTW - I think you're gorgeous just the way you are! )

Thank you everyone

I wasn't expecting a reply to this thread. I had thought of this idea a few nights ago and thought I need a new way to think about my eating and dieting. Yesterday I found the photos of myself when I was 16 and anorexic. I looked so terribly thin I'm nearly 40 kgs heavier now

I swing from over eating to undereating, like some of the other here and I really want to manage my relationship with food and I feel I do need an outside influence to help. Thank you ladies for being here to help me in this time of need.

Weight today : 79.1kgs

But on the upside last night when I would have normally eaten another meal at 9pm, I put the chicken korma and rice back in the frigde, had a glass of water and went to bed. Little steps but I am trying to make them. I also ordered asian greens and noodles for lunch instead of something fatty and heard back from my friend the personal trainer. I hope yesterday is the worst I am going to be, and now just trying to go forward.

Now the test is how I go at work and avoid the snacks from the canteen

Mmm... we get a lunch van come around at morning tea time (one of my weak times throughout the day).. they have Balfours cakes... Mmmmm...

mmmm balfours cakes mmmm, that would be hard

Ok, I avoided eating after dinner last night and went to bed instead and breakfast was yogurt and museli, lunch is going to be rice and vindaloo... seems like I am on track at the moment

My name is TD and i have been FAT my whole entire life, except for those periods where i lost weight to look pretty. I have been a yo-yo dieter all my life. When i am thin, i am the fat person stuck in a skinny body. I love food. I love the tastes, texture, aroma, cooking etc.. I am addicted to food.
    In 2008, i began a weightloss journey. In 18 months, i lost 15kgs. The last 5 kgs stuck. In August 2009, whilst i was on anti-depressants i found out of this miracle diet drug, Duromine. I pursuaded the dr. to give it to me. I now have only 5 days before i am admitted into a private psychiatric clinic.
    I used to be obsessed about my weight, about the way i look. I'm not anymore. Even though i hate my rolls of fat, i am very happy with my weight. I can eat anything i want, and i do. I only come on this Earth once, and i will experience all its beauties that it has to offer.
    I've given up on dieting/weightloss, as long as there are no health issues for me, i will keep on eating and drinking the things i want to. I finally accept who i am. I'm not the one with the problem, its those that can't accept me for who i am, who have the problem.
    My mental well-being is far more important than stupid number on clothes tags, or on the bathroom scale.

BTW, goodluck Cat!

That's great TD that you've found your peace. I, however, am NOT happy with my body. I feel tired all the time and feel awkward and uncomfortable. I need to lose some weight.

So today I began my plan to get rid of my carb addiction. It went ok (had a few carbs at dinner - but made myself stop and not have seconds) so will aim for another good day tomorrow. Luckily I was busy at work when the van came, so no Balfours for me today!

I bought some nut, seed and sultana mix from the supermarket to snack on at work - and it wasn't half bad! It helped get rid of the need to eat something worse, anyway!

go Cat! You can doooo iiiiiitttttttt!

Welcome TD Thank you for sharing. I too am trying to learn to love my body. I want to be comfortable in my skin, loveing my curves but I feel like I am bigger than I should be. I will be thinking of you when you are in the clinic and hoping you get lots of support.

Toni - thanks for being my fan club I am feeling pretty good ATM. Dinner was at 5.30 and even though I was really hungry about half an hour ago I ate some dates and am about to go to bed, rather than eating more. Good on you for not eating those carbs. I have heard if you go cold turkey with carbs it makes the cravings even worse so treat yourself a bit yeah?

I was also thinking, being addicted to eating I have accepted that I will crave the foods all the time, but I will just eat when required, rather than all the time. I've watched AA members struggle with their addiction and when they give in once, it is easier to give in again, and then again, and they fall off the wagon. But if they can refrain from that first drink, then they are ok.

So it has been 2 days since I gave in to my eating addiction (17/7/10)

Hey, just wanted you to know you got me motivated to start exercising! I usto be able to run about 10k up and down hills, then i stopped from a knee injury buuut i loooove running!! I also love chocolate and milo and milk and pies and sitting on my bum watching dr phil and oprah haha, I now weigh 72kg after having bubs i would like to get back down to 55-57kgs and be able to run the 10k again! I went for a run yesterday and could only really manage 1k :-o and i felt all jiggly and wobbling everywhere. Eventually one day i'd like to do a half marathon, thats my goal :-)

Hi girls.

Congratulations on your first step everyone.

It was 7 weeks ago that I admitted that I have a problem with food. I can no longer control what I eat. Often, once I start eating I will keep eating till I feel sick. I think about eating a lot and I eat in private, not public. It hurts me, my health and my relationships. Thinking about trying to control what I eat, thinking about my weight, makes me feel out of control, ashamed and desparate. I have been getting better that food control over the past 7 weeks, but have only lost 5.5kg (that includes losing more and regaining it twice!). (And there is a lot more to go!)

Like an alcoholic, once I start, I can't stop. I am thinking of doing diet shakes again - because I can't stop at just one portion of food. Like Nettie, I am working on breaking my carb addiction as well.

Welcome Ruth and Emma

It really does sound like we all suffer from a bad relationship with food. We know we need it to survive but so many of us then eat even when we know we should stop. I know that reading your replies and hearing your encouragement is helping me, so I hope this is helping you guys as well.

I have my appointment set up with my PT for monday, and I was thinking the city to bay (in adelaide) is on in 9 weeks, I could make that a goal... mmmm will work out if my injuries let me try for it. Healthy breakfast done, now just to survive a day without the canteen again.

Toni - good luck avoiding the van today again

After reading everyones posts i have now come to realise and Admit to myself i too have an addiction to food, im always thinking about food and what im going to consume next its only the last few months that its gotten really bad and i can feel the weight i have put on because of it.. when im upset i look to food to make me feel better, when im bored foods the answer, when im anxious etc food food food! I dont think im heavily overweight or anything but i know if i keep going the way im going i know it wont be long and i will be! And that scares me.. Im starting today to start making better food choices and drink more water instead of snacking so much.. my problem is i eat till i feel sick i dont know when i am hungry or when im just using food to comfort me, i dont know the difference.. im trying to put a time when ill have my meals and try not to eat inbetween that time im so embarresed to admit this :$

i am so addicted to food it is like it screms out to me to eat it however over the last few days i have decided to take charge and simply ignore the foods when they scream out i have also started walking again this is a real good thread thank you for starting it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast