Thread: I looked in the mirror and cried....

Default I looked in the mirror and cried....

at the ugly fat body that I saw.
    I brought these really nice skirts before I had Miss S. I LOVED them and thought i'd buy them and work towards fitting into them. While I can get them over all the rolls of fat on my hips they still look c**p.
    I need to lose about 15kgs and need to get myself a fashion stylist to help me buy clothes that suit me and make me feel good in my own body.

So starting Monday its time to get serious. I need to get this weight off me. That gives me the weekend to prepare some snacks for during the week and go shopping for lots of fresh stuff.
    I need to do a little research about things I need to be aware of while i'm BF cause I also don't want to starve Miss S by me doing this.

I need to start feeling confident in my own body. This lack of confidence is affecting me in more ways than one. I need people around me to be suppotive rather than just telling me that I need to lose it. I need Him (and by him I mean DH who tries to be supportive but rather makes me feel worse) to tell me i'm doing a great job and not that I looked better when I was 16 - yes i know i looked better when I was 16, i've had 2 kids since then! I feel like crap already, I don't need you to make this unhelpful comments or comments like you shouldn't eat that - it'll make you fat. I know I've got allot to lose but with support and the right advice and lots of exercise then I think I can do it.

I know I can, I know I can, I know I can......

Be kind to yourself. You've recently had a baby and the body takes a while getting back into it. I am a huge believer in not going on diet but changing your lifestyle permanently. I have been on diet and although you loose the weight quickly, you pick it up just a quickly again. No one can stick to the diets that they have for the rest of their lives and after it's finished you just go back to your old ways. The basic principal is that you need to eat less than what you are burning in order to loose the weight. Start off slowly though, especially as you have a new baby and are BF. Start to change your eating habits first. Cut out all sugar and alot of useless carbs. Like tarts, cakes, pies, even bread. Eat lean meat only and lots of fruit and veg. Stay away from sweetened anything. And of course, you need to get some exercise which will also lift your mood. Even just taking a walk with the pram or get an exercise video and do it while baby is sleeping. With BF, just eat healthily and don't starve yourself. Stay away from diet pills, shakes and artificial sweetners which are packed in all diet foods.

And ignore DH's comments. You are doing this for yourself and that's all you need to concentrate on. Good luck! Go for it!

hun... i know exactly how you feel, i looked at my 'rolls' today getting dressed and burst into tears!
    After A i lost like 20kg then didn't put on a lot with Z and lost a bit but now i am basically back to what i was while PG with A i keep saying i am going to make the effort but then i loose focus.

Want to make a goal to do it together? one step at a time? 5kg goals at a time?
    My DP also makes stupid comments, mind you he's about 30kg heavier than me and the same height, lately i just come back at him, last week he was joking round sayin mummy is the side of a house... i cracked and replied well if i'm the side of a house your a double story with double garage petty i know but made me feel 100 times better..

PM me if you want hun, were both BFing and both need the motivation, i'm here for you!

I ditto what Miss H says, although would suggest not cutting out all sugars, but instead cutting down. When you cut one thing completely from your diet you are more likely (IMO) to splurge and pig out on that item when you have a bad day. I work on the energy in, energy out principle. I track my calories to help me as I was so used to overeating, but now I have a good balance I think, but I eat a biscuit or some chocolate every day. I also go to the gym most days, and my portions are smaller. So if I have chocolate it is more likely to be a freddo than a 500g bar of dairy milk.

You can absolutely do this. I suggest you start with exercise, walking with a baby is a great way to do it. Good luck

trav
    xx

Hehe I went shopping at Kmart yesterday where they have too many mirrors in the change rooms, I'm two dress sizes bigger than I 'should' be and my choice of clothing now is either big baggy stuff that hangs from boob downwards (I'm all boobs at the moment) and makes me look huge, or tight clothes that make me have lumps and bumps in all the bad places. Neither looks good.

I figure I've lost this much weight twice before, its not a good idea to try and rush it, so I'm just going to ignore all the bumps in the mirror for a few months and let BF do its weight loss magic. While hiding the bumps in big jackets

Go slow and steady while BF and as long as you're getting thinner (weight doesn't mean as much as inches) you're doing it right, and get to reward yourself with nicer clothes as you go.

Edit: if you want to *feel* better in the meantime, go buy yourself some of those fancy supporting underpants that claim to suck your thighs and tummy in - a bit of a confidence boost can go a long way. You'll look less bumpy in clothes
    Last edited by deletedit; July 23rd, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RumpledElf View Post
    Edit: if you want to *feel* better in the meantime, go buy yourself some of those fancy supporting underpants that claim to suck your thighs and tummy in - a bit of a confidence boost can go a long way. You'll look less bumpy in clothes
    Ohhh i need these, wonder if anywhere has them at a decent price, wonder if DP would notice if i come out looking all bumpless...

I got some suck me in undies from target. I can't remember the brand but they had a few decent priced. Mine go from boob to knee and hopefully will make me look spectacular in my new dress tomorrow

Sunshine I feel your pain. I have the same thing, Logan is now 11 weeks old and over the last 2-3 weeks I've been putting on weight rather than losing it!!! I went to K-Mart yesterday to try find some cheap clothes to get me through until I can get motivated and lose some weight coz I'm still wearing maternity pants and trackys every day. I ended up buying jeans 2 sizes larger than I was wearing before I had Logan.

I've been contemplating heading back to weight watchers again but we don't really have the money for it. I need to do something though, I just find it so hard to motivate myself, both to eath healthy and exercise... I always seem to find some excuse why it's ok to have the biscuits or justify why I didn't bother going for a walk....

Things have got to change!!!!

So tomorrow is the beg day... the start of my weight loss journey. My attempt to lose all the weight that makes me cry everytime I look in the mirror.
    I have started a blog so feel free to check it out.

ZF - love to do it together!
    Here it goes

BIG BIG

I have every faith that you can do it, i know you will do it because it will make you feel so much better about yourself and its about time you did something for you and make sure it is for you and not for DH. Its hard when you don't have the support you need from your partner/husband or even your friends and family. I know i have had body issues for almost 5 years now and everyone would tell me that i looked fine and i didn't need to lose weight so when i piled on 20kgs that was when i started getting comments.

I have about 23kgs to lose to get to the weight i was when i was 16. I know its really early as i only had my baby 8 days ago i am so keen to do something. I have been fat for long enough, i need and want to be healthy for my kids.

Ok hun let's do it... whats our first goal? 5kg? Bit by bit?
    I have decided i have made threads and blogs and kept making myself empty promises so i am going to do it BIT BY BIT... week by week.
    Each week i'm going to set myself 2 goals - 1 food based, 1 exercise based.... so here we go.. it's monday let's kick it into gear!

I'm right here with ya hun... will start a blog too...

I'm just starting my "lose the baby blubber" journey, too! I started yesterday with one of those half-hour fitness and tone up programs on Foxtel while DS napped, and I am so sore today . Serves me right for leaving it so long! Today was just a walk with him in the pram, and he's still breastfeeding (4 1/2 months old so fully breastfed still). Good luck to all of us, we will fit into those smaller sized clothes with healthy changes!