Thread: Ouch!!!!!

Default Ouch!!!!!

Okay so I joined a gym, Woo hoo. I went for an initial PT session to do all the weights and goal settings, and then I went to my second PT session to show me how to use the cardio equipment and get me started on a program. I have booked in for my 3rd to learn and start a weights regime.

I thought after 5 trips in on cardio to give a class a go. I chose the swiss ball class to get started and whammo was I wrong!!!!

I told the guy running it that it was my first time, and I was unfit but willing to have a go.

Unfortunately, I think I pushed myself too hard. I can barely get up out of my seat today and its the second day after!!! I forced myself in to do 20 minutes of slow basic treadmill walking to loosen up my legs. I have had 2 baths in salts since the class, my first one being an hour after the class because I was prepared for some soreness the next day. But gees.... two days of this means I had to cancel my 3rd session and reschedule, and my house is a mess but I can't bend down to pick anything up without pain! Urgh.....

So... for those who are further along in the fitness journey than I, what do you do? Do you continue on and keep going with cardio despite the pain? Or do you continue to take it easy and repair prior to getting back into the gym.

I don't think I'll be doing a class anytime soon. I think I'll go back to cardio for a while and then do the weights and maybe do one of the gentle stretch classes to start.

Each time I go up a level whether it be p/t or doing a class and I'm usually sore for 3-4 days I usually just rest up and when the soreness is at a bearable pain level I go back to gym.

Christy, did you enjoy the class hun? If so, I reckon you should keep going . Be warned if you 'go hard' with a weights session you'll feel sore just as you are now. You're body is recalling all these muscles it knew it had - but weren't really using to their maximum potential. You're now just waking your body up and this is a totally natural and normal thing to occur.

I find that 48 hours after a 'new' or 'harder' training session is usually the worst! And you've done the right thing my continuing on with light treadmill exercise to keep the body from stiffening up even worse. The more you keep those muscles moving the quicker they will become your friend once again .

Well done, Christy!!

I hope it isn't long before you're the exercising goddess and the soreness isn't quite as debilitating.

It depends if your soreness feels like post-exercise stiffness or injury. If it is post-soreness then definitely keep moving. I would start to get back into it. Doing a smaller form of exercise the day after a big one seems to really help me. For example the day after a big soccer game, if I feel sore I will go for a jog and I seem to pull up a lot better than if I don't. If you are actually injured though go for an alternative that gives that area a break (e.g. cycling or swimming).

No, doesn't feel like an injury at all, more just sore and a bit weaker than they were before. I reckon its just the post exercise stuff... so going to the treadmill was a good idea. I only did 20 minutes on an easy walk, but I thought I'd better get back on the horse... tomorrow I aim to do more than the 20 minutes on the treadmill, I'll aim to do the cross trainer as well but I'll leave the rowing machine that hurts thinking about it!!

Christy, my trainer and I talk about "good" pain and "bad" pain. Good is exercise related, bad is injury related. If you're new to the fitness thing, it can be difficult to differentiate between the two. I would be inclined to think it is exercise related pain (good pain) and will subside over the coming week. Day 2 is usually the worst. I find that if I have worked hard and know I'm going to get that kind of pain, I will use the same muscles in a more gentle manner the following day so that the pain on day 2 is less. Did I even make sense then?

The best way to overcome this pain, in my experience, is to do some gentle exercise and lots and lots and lots of stretching. Keep moving. If it is your legs that are hurting, keep moving and make sure you stretch regularly. Every hour (even if it's only 5 min of stretching!). Make sure you stretch right before hopping into bed so you sleep better, and as soon as you get up in the morning. Epsom salt baths will help as will a combination of ice and heat to the related areas. I encourage people to heat (to relax the muscles), stretch, and then ice (to fight inflammation).

If it is really really really bothering you, you can take some panadol or an anti inflammatory such as voltaren.

HTH and good on you! I hope you go back for another class!

MG

well done. It does get easier but then when you step up a notch it hurts again. No pain, no gain ;-) Maybe have a word with the receptionists about which classes are best if you're not very fit. Most gyms have a range of classes to cater to most fitness level.

Next time, day after you should pop over here and we'll have a go at my Yoga exercises. I'm not quite up for a gym session - you go girl!

oh the easing yourself down the toilet walls to sit down??? been there done that

Well done babe it will get better and yip gotta push throught the pain. Make sure you stretch afterwards and gradually your muscles wont protest as much.

(Now if only I could take my own advice and get my lard arse back to the gym )

Totally the toilet thing!!!

All is better now, I did a bit more on the cross trainer today (and felt it) and then some cycling and some treadmill. Then I stretched and it was all good....

Awesome Keep it going, you will just feel amazing.

You exercise guru you. You sure do put everything in once you make a decision, don't you! Here's to the soon-to-be fit Christy.

i find if i dont stretch for say 30 min after a work out im stuffed for a week.

i also need to make sure i drink extra fluids for like 2hours after i finish exercising
    i still get sore but not unbearable or a soreness which stops me doing anything..

so maybe add some stretching into the cool down section of your workout?

five minutes warm up, five minutes stretching, 30 minutes weights/resistance training, 30-60 minutes cardio, five minutes cool down, three times per week on non consecutive days.

and by weight/resistance, that could be anything from sit ups and step ups and boxing to proper freeweights, etc. Doesn't have to be fancy.

and then if you want to be superwoman, 45-60 minutes cardio on three of your four days off. Keep it light (walking, cycling on flattish roads) while you're starting, get more intense when your fitness is getting better (jogging, step classes, zumba, etc).

always have one day off per week (God knew what He was doing when He made the Sabbath!! Your body needs some time out)

and LOTS of water!

Better luck with your next session Christy? How's it coming along?