Thread: What Weight Loss Program would you recommend?

Default What Weight Loss Program would you recommend?

Hi all

I have decided to get even more serious about getting this weight off, and want to join up with some sort of weightloss program.

Atm I am considering:

Weight Watchers
    Jenny Craig
    Lite'n'Easy
    Joining a gym
    Seeing a dietician
    Seeing a Dr.

I was wondering if you could all share your experiences if you have used any of these programs, and if there's anything in particular you would highly recommend?

Atm I am thinking of seeing a Dr to get a referral to a Dietician. As DP has type 1 diabetes, if I am going to drastically change what we eat I thought I should get some advice from a professional...

But I am still very keen to hear of others experiences with WW, etc...

Thanks!

I joined WW and lost heaps of weight, I quit at week 10 and just did the same program on my own at home. I kept the weight off for 9 months before I got PG, so now I've pulled out my old books & my old points program and am getting started again!

I lost weight with WW years ago i would say they are the best.
    Plus you have all the books after and you can go back to them.

Not sure how the others work.

kirsty Guest

I am currently doing WW & find it fantastic as I don't have the will-power to do it by myself. It can be a bit pricey at almost $17 a week but I figure before Istarted I probably spent that much if not more on junk food. Everyone is different but personally I have lost 16.3kgs with them since joining 20wks ago & the support I receive is great. Also lots of ways to get exercise into your life.

Hope you work out what will work for you, as I know losing the weight that I have so far has made me feel so good.

Hi Ambah,

Weight Watchers worked for me........normal meals, healthy eating, exercise.........I like it becasuse it is not "fanatical" or extreme, just good habits. It gives you a good education on eating habits!

From a diabetic situation, WW is also very easy to combine with a low GI (Glycemic Index) approach, which is what is required for folk with diabetes........basically food that has slow releasing high energy (in comparison to foods that have a high energy fast release like chocolate or refined carbs like chips/white bread/white pasta.)

The easy rule of thumb for low GI foods is "how close is this food to it's natural state? How many processes has the original food been through to get to this state" ie a potoato baked in it's skin has a much lower GI than potoatos peeled, cut into strips, & then deep fried into a chip.

Or dark seeded bread is in a more natural less processed food than white bread, and it too has a lower GI, and so releases energy (and so blood sugar levels are controlled better) more slowly.

Ambah, I am rambling because this is a passion of mine, but I would totally recommend that you see your GP for a referral to a dietician to get info about the diabetes, then combine this info with Weight Watchers, and as long as you stick to it, you can't lose.

Take care chook, & best of luck,

Hi Ambah
    I'm currently doing WW new program Time for success. It's been very good so far. I'm doing their at home program as I would have found it a little difficult to get out to their meetings etc. I can't say that I have lost loads of weight, but what I have been losing has tended to stay off. (Apart from last weeks gain of 300grams ](*,) )

Jo

Thanks heaps for all of your replies girls!!!!

You all sound like you have had some wonderful successes!!! Well Done!!

I definately think now that Weight Watchers is the way to go!!!

Although talking to a Dietician would be beneficial, at the same time I think I personally would need the support and motivation from going to meetings and being around other people with similar goals.

As far as DP is concerned, we need to see a dietician anyway. He hasn't been to see anyone about his diabetes in years, and as it is type 1 (insulin dependent/childhood) diabetes, he has far more health concerns than type 2 diabetes. It is quite scary that he is ignoring it, but as a young man I think it really depresses him and he wants to ignore it. He has just been very lucky so far.
    I hope I can be a help to his lifestyle and health too, by doing all of this... cause its probably the only thing I can do for him to help with his illness.
    (sorry for getting off topic there!)

Lucy - thanks for explaining the low GI rule to me... it makes it a lot easier for me to make some better food choices now.

There are so many new food & dieting crazes going around these days which are all confusing me, so I am looking forward to learning what is true and what isn't. I mean, what should you try to cut out the most? - kj's, Fat, or Carbs??? etc, etc...

Now I just have to get myself organised and join up with WW in the next week or two!!!

i am totally biased.... SureSlim... (i did it before getting PG and lost 20 kg and now i work for them) They have pregnancy and breastfeeding programs as well as the usual one.

Well, I've never joined a program, but I thought I'd share my mother's experience with you.

She had really bad cholesterol levels, and the doctor told her she had to cut out everything with more than 4% fat in it. She had to do that for three months, and she lost 15kgs. It's easy to tell what the % of fat in a food is, just look at the amount of fat per 100gms, and if it's more than 4gms, it's a no go.

But when I lost all the weight before my wedding, I didn't change any eating habits, and barely changed my exercise habits too. I just willed it off. Just power of the mind over the body I guess.

jala Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ambah View Post
    Hi all

I have decided to get even more serious about getting this weight off, and want to join up with some sort of weightloss program.

Atm I am considering:

Weight Watchers
    Jenny Craig
    Lite'n'Easy
    Joining a gym
    Seeing a dietician
    Seeing a Dr.

I was wondering if you could all share your experiences if you have used any of these programs, and if there's anything in particular you would highly recommend?

Atm I am thinking of seeing a Dr to get a referral to a Dietician. As DP has type 1 diabetes, if I am going to drastically change what we eat I thought I should get some advice from a professional...

But I am still very keen to hear of others experiences with WW, etc...

Thanks!
    I would recommend the 5 factor diet (google it) and as for exercise i would recommend turbo jam.

both of these have worked for me