Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Household Tips & Hints - please add yours :)

Default Fantastic Household Tips & Hints - please add yours :)

I just cleaned my microwave and thought I'd share my method. Get a cup of water put a couple of slices of lemon in it. Put the water in the microwave and heat it until it boils - let it stand for another minute or two - take the cup out and wipe over the microwave with a clean cloth. The steam will have softened everything up so it comes straight off. If anything is stubborn repeat the process. The lemon makes it smell all fresh and there's no need for harsh chemicals that are bad for us and the environment.
    Does anyone else have any handy hints they want to share?

Melinda Guest

Oh I have a nice alternative to that one actually Dach - put in a teaspoon of vanilla essence instead of the lemon - same effect, but with a vanilla scent!!!

Ooh thanks for the tips girls!
    I have never cleaned my microwave that way, so I can I just ask how long it normally takes you to heat up the water to boiling point?

kirsty Guest

I do the same as Melinda does & my microwave smells great afterwards & everything is so easy to just wipe off.

I think for me it takes about 1 1/2 - 2mins to get the water boiling.

Feng Shui your house - get rid of clothes/junk which hasn't been used in years, and clear out things accumulating under your bed

If you use Milton for sterilising, tip the old Milton water into the toilet instead of bleach.

If you have a fish tank, put the rocks and plastic plants out in the sunshine for a day to get rid of algae.

On the microwave one, I put in washing liquid when I dont have nay lemon, and I actually whack it on for 10 mins. The grease just slides off!

Feng Shui - keep the toilet lid down - it keeps money in the household (and looks better too)

Fi

There's a house on foxtel/optus tv that I love! Called "How clean is your house" these two english women go to peoples houses that would make even the most untidiest messy people gag! They show all these nifty tips and tricks on how to cut through usually around 5-10 yrs worth of filth!

I'll post a few here...

Removing crayon marks
    Use hairspray to remove crayon marks from walls. Do not use on wallpaper- only use on painted or gloss walls. Spray on the stain and remove with a white cloth...

Cleaning soft toys Place the cuddly toy in a pillowcase and put in the washing machine. Make sure you wash the toy on a delicate wash only (otherwise hand wash). Wash with biological powder and softener. Take out straight away and hang up to dry...

Vinegar & Salt to clean grime on copper pans...

Natural Pumice stone to remove water stains from porcelein in the bathroom...

Denture tablets to clean grease of old pots & pans...

Shaving cream to prevent steam on mirrors (Air freshner works too I've heard)...

Ok here are a few of mine...

~ WD40 is great for grease, it can clean buildup on stoves and metal stuff, its also good on grease stains on clothes (just spray the spot rub in some good dishwashing liquid and wash).

~ If you spill red wine on the carpet pour over some white wine, and magically it disappears (you still need to soak it up and possibly clean, but it won't stain).

~ Washing powder is a great soaker for grease, works a treat on metal racks (such as in the oven). Put in about a scoop (concentrated) washing powder into your laundry sink with the racks and the grime should fall off (I leave over night).

~ Dishwashing powder is a great abrasive and works wonders on soap scum in the bath, just pour it on the spot and with a damp sponge or teflon scour sponge (protects the enamel that way) and it works a treat.

~ Pour salt onto wet stains it will soak it up (works for "accidents" on carpets & mattresses) as well as drink stains on carpet...

My brain hurts, but I have heaps locked away in my brain, will try and think of them as they come to mind... Oh and on the leftover milton solution we used to throw in the washing machine with the chucky nappies (we used cloth nappies for spews etc).

*hugs*
    Cailin

I love how clean is your house It is on Saturdays on free to air. Makes my house look a million bucks LMAO.

I shall be trying the microwave trick

Love

Ok guys.... any ideas on how to clean a really bad oven.....

Dh has a habit of cooking roasts with no covering & then NOT cleaning the oven inside GRRRRR...

But now it is really bad & even oven cleaner doesnt seem to do the job well enough!!!!!

PS.... Love the microwave idea!!!

I tried the microwave trick just before.... and it worked a TREAT!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Mitch - the enjo ladies say to get one of those water sprayers and squirt water through the oven and leave to soak over night. Of course, the idea is that you use the kitchen enjo glove to clean out the oven but I am sure the initial idea of soaking the crud will help with other methods too.

I like the microwave idea too!! I have a lemon tree with 50 thousand lemons on it atm so look out tree!!! Muahahahaha!

One thing I always try to do when we get a sunny day (few and far between in Geelong) is to put my pillows and cushions from the couch out in the sun for a good hour or so. It freshens them right up and can kill some of those little nasties that like to hide in the dust etc. I give them a light spray with febreeze and it just makes the whole house feel a little fresher!

We find what works best with enjo (or if you are going to clean your oven regardless) is to put a baking tray filled with water in your oven put the oven on about 150-180 I think it is, then leave it till the oven steams (about 30-40 mins) Then turn the oven off and allow to cool completely before attacking with a glove or a bucket of soapy water & a sponge. It should come off pretty easily...

*hugs*
    Cailin

Thanks for the cool ideas re oven and microwave cleaning!

Awww shannon wanna come to my next tupperware party I promise if I ever have another enjo party you are invited! LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

lilyd Guest

Hi ladies,

By far THE best way to clean the racks in an oven is to take them all out and put them into a garbage bag with ammonia sprinkled all over them. Give it a shake to coat everything and leave for the day and you will be amazed that everything just glides off. Just give a quick clean in soapy water and hey presto, no more scrubbing. You can also put a dish with cloudy ammonia and water in the bottom of the oven and turn oven on to high for an hour, brings everything off the sides etc.

PS. Don't breathe in the ammonia, it knocks your head off!

I need your hints on cat urine in the house. Our cat has just come home from animal hospital from a bladder blockage and is peeing everywhere - what do you use to get rid of the smell so he doesn't do it again?

Hmmm, the microwave trick hasn't worked for me. I accidentally left meat in the microwave overnight (& half the day 8-[ ) & it sticks sooooo bad. The lemon trick hasn't worked with the smell, it's all clean inside & looks sparkling new, but still stinky.

Any ideas......

Bicarb soda is supposed to be good for absorbing smells. Perhaps leave a bowl of it in the microwave when you're not using it and see if that helps?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast