Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantastic Household Tips & Hints - please add yours :)

I don't know if this would work for a microwave, but to get rid of stinky smells in my fridge, I put a good wack of vanilla essence on a paper towel and wipe all the surfaces with it.

Silly question .... have you tried leaving the door open for a few hours?

Not a silly question at all Cherie. I thought hmm wonder if leaving the door open would work (after I posted mind you!) and it worked!!! Woohooooo no more stinky off beef microwave for me!!

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooo they sound great, Brooke. I'll have to use some of those!

Oh thanks Brooke - I`ll have the try the spiders and cobwebs one, I have hundreds of Daddy Long Legs, I knock them down and they are back again ](*,)

Brooke - I don`t like killing spiders, especially Daddy Long Legs and Huntsman but can you suggest how to get the population down without killing them?

There must be at least 100 of them plus their cobwebs, I`m not joking either, true story!!!!! One of the many joys of living in the country.

Do you have a remedy for rats? Not sure if the mice one would work on them, we don`t have mice or rats up here at the house but down at the Dairy, Mark says the rats are as big as a small cat :shock:

Aww Dee..we have so many Daddy long legs too..they r always in the corners!

Jo

I have a gas stove and took off the plates under each burner and put them in the dishwasher......the result being that the black stains just got burnt on
    Anyone know how to get these off? I tried easy off bam, a scourer, nutriclean.

Hey Fletch - I soaked them in bicarb soda and boiled water then scrubbed most of it off - they look a bit better but not spotless.

*TamaraP* Guest

Dee - get rid of Hunstman spiders... I used to keep these aswell but then my mum said they LOVE to breed... so I get rid of them now. I don't kill them, only capture and put them outside!!

Debbie Lee Guest

We've just recently had our floorboards sanded and polished. The guy that did it asked what I use to clean the floors. He was very happy to hear that I used an enjo mop that only requires cold water.
    He said that, apart from enjo, the best thing to clean floorboards and keep them looking nice is plain water with a bit of metho in it. Nothing else.
    He says that, even if the product says it's ok to use on floorboards, often people use the wrong product and their floorboards don't get the longevity that they should.
    Just thought I would share that with ya'll!

I second that Debbie! We had our floors done a few months ago and have only ever used the enjo, but it's good to know that diluted metho does the trick. I thought I might have to do a metho clean every few weeks to bring up the shine, but the enjo has been fab and had really kept the shine

Sal Guest

Tamara, huntsmen spiders are territorial, they'll just come back if you simply put them outside. *shudder* I have some huntsmen stories that would curl your toes (if you are afraid of them, like I am)...

Debbie Lee Guest

Urrrgh I hate all spiders... I'm terrified of them!

anyone got any tips on cleaning stainless steel sinks - ours in this rental have the flash fandangled sink strainers that push up and down for the plug which are great but hard to keep the brown grime buildup off that stainless gets over time - any magical mixtures???

Sal Guest

not sure about anything non-chemical, but ajax just brings the best out in stainless steel!

I have them too and mainly use my enjo, but when I use cleaners I find that using ajax works to get off the grime, and then I used Mr Sheen all over the sink to give it a good shine

What about a baking soda, or bi-carb paste?

thanks ladies - I'll give it a go.

Fletch - I had them under control in much the same manner until DH and my dad took over the washing up and kitchen cleaning while I was sick and post c/section and with sick kids etc - neither of them believed in cleaning them and they are now, after a couple of months of brief rinse only (to tell you the truth I'm surprised they got that) in need of a good scrub with something - ajax by the sound of it - although i might try the bicarb paste first since I have some of that in the cupboard.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast