thread: Laundry Solutions

Add Marlene on Facebook

Jul 2007
    Dapto, Illawarra...NSW

Thanks for the replies ladies, still a couple of Q's i need answered....

You ladies have said to put the bicarb in the barrel....do you put that in before or after you put the clothes in? Why do you put it into the barrel instead of the washing powder dispenser?

I use powder at the moment...is it better for the machine to use liquid?

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I put it in the barrel because I have a front loader and I use the dispenser section for soap, and I don't want to mix the two.

Sep 2008
    South-East, QLD

Cai - Why don't you want to mix the 2 together??

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Because my washing machine doesn't dissolve any powder in there well, if you know your machine rinses it through well I' sure it will be fine.

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

I put it in with the soap but my machine rinses it through fine

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

jasp- There is a thread about it- http://forums.bellybelly.com.au/foru...-chat-2-a.html

Sequoia, sorry hun, I didn't see your post till now, a whole month later... did you still want to talk FlyLady? Always happy to natter on about it
    Last edited by Rouge; June 22nd, 2009 at 08:26 PM. : Link removed: Please see guidelines.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Oh yessy please! We're moving into our new house this weekend and I'm excited about how to keep it clean.

I have to say, I'm torn between FlyLady and SpeedCleaning and I'd like to amalgamate the two somehow...

Oct 2008

oh, just found this thread - and love it!

I started using vinegar in the wash about 6 years ago, always used about a 1/3 cup but might reduce the amount as per your suggestions - but my washes have always been soft and never smelt like vinegar!

I've just started using Bi-carb a lot more round the house so will have to try that out in the wash as well. And cool that it can be used with MCN's - I'll remember that!

Does anyone know a good stain remover for a very delicate white dress of DD's? i tried soaking in the cheap version of napisan but only half went... any suggestions?

Also did someone say they have a recipie for home made washing detergent? I would love to try making one if you are able to post it or PM me.

Thanks!

Apr 2009
    in the garden

Cat, here's my recipe for DIY laudry powder:

1/2 cup washing soda
    1 cup finely grated pure soap
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup borax
    1/2 cup bicarb soda

Place soda crystals in a plastic bag & crush with a rolling pin.
    Mix with other ingredients & store in an airtight box or jar.
    Use 1 tbs for a small load, 1 1/2 for medium load & 2 for a large load.
    Dissolve in a jug of hot water before adding to a top-loader. For Front loaders dissolve in hot water & add to dispenser.
    If using for hand washing, wear rubber gloves.

- afm - My MIL gave us a new blender, I used the old one to crush the soda crystals - much easier & more effective!
    I also used a bit more that the recipe says. I used an old scoop from one of the commercial boxes & used about twice what the recipe says - but that's just me, there was probably no need.
    I pretty much always wash in cold water, so definitely dissolve it first.
    The rubber gloves for hand washing - I think is because the soda crystals can be caustic on bare skin. I don't hand wash though so not a problem here!
    A good dose of vinegar in the rinse cycle too

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

Oh yessy please! We're moving into our new house this weekend and I'm excited about how to keep it clean.

I have to say, I'm torn between FlyLady and SpeedCleaning and I'd like to amalgamate the two somehow...
    No worries I'll jump on this arvo and post up my FlyLady routine for you in the FlyLady thread, and you can give me the rundown on SpeedCleaning (I've been meaning to have a look at that book...)
    Last edited by Lolli; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Sounds good, but may not be til the end of the week. Going away for a few days.

Apr 2009
    in the garden

Thanks LoriRae

Jul 2006
    In The Land Of Wonderful...

I'm a big fan of the bicarb/vinegar in the wash too - and have converted many ladies after they've been here & also all of the mums from soccer after I've done my week washing the boys white shirts (Honestly, who chooses the uniform where U17 boys play soccer in white shirts?!)

Something I tried for the first time a few days ago after reading on the back of the bottle - sugar soap to get out stains, especially on whites!

I was hesitant, (the blue of the sugar soap is a little scary putting it onto whites!) so used an old white shirt of DH's that he stained with napolitana sauce at work a few months back...

I put a little in a spray bottle & sprayed the stain... and then soaked it in a small bucket of sugar soap & warm water over night.

The stain is gone & the shirt is perfect!
    Amazing, as the stains were not fresh...but now are completely gone

Sep 2008
    South-East, QLD

With putting bi-carb in with the soap, do you ladies put less soap powder into the wash?? At the moment I only use 3/4 of a scoop on everday clothes and a full scoop on DH's greasy work clothes.

What are you favoutire oils to add to the vinegar??

ETA - I use Bio-Zet Front Loader if that is of any help to anyone!
    Last edited by ACJ; June 24th, 2009 at 09:30 AM. : Adding more info.

Sep 2005
    whoop whoop or not, not sure yet!!!

does anyone have a secret for banana stains - they leave that little mildewy like stain on clothes and nothing i do gets it out

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Sunshine

Apr 2009
    in the garden

What are you favoutire oils to add to the vinegar??
    Lemon - I loooove lemon in anything, it's so fresh - lavender, sandalwood, orange, bergamot, tea tree.

I love citrus because it's fresh, tea tree is antiseptic and lavender is just good all round (also less expensive so I throw a bit more in).

Usually it's a mix of 3 or 4 of these, I chuck it in at random according to my mood

Sep 2008
    South-East, QLD

Yeah I love citrus as well and also vanilla....a good vanilla is just so luxurious!!