Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to make your house smell nice?

Question What do you use to make your house smell nice?

As the title says, how do you make your house smell nice? I hate our house's smell, it has smelt the same since we moved in 7 1/2 years ago and it reminds me of old people LOL! I have used those plug in things before, but don't know if they're a good idea with kids? I have also used one of those infusion thingys in my kitchen that worked OK. I'd like something that smells soft and makes the whole house smell nice.

So, what do you use?

i often burn oils but the smell doent last long sorry im not much help! i dont like those plug ins

I use the partylite tri colour reed diffusers. I only put in a few reeds not the whole lot that it comes with and they last forever. You can get different scents in them as well. I just go for the tri colour cause it looks good lol

Oooh, that sounds nice Astrolady! Can you buy them online?

Olive - I like the idea of burning oils, but I worry about my kids knocking it over!

I make a mix of bi-carb & essential oils. One of them large shakers for herbs, fillit with bi-carb and 6drops of EO's. Sprinkle all over the house about 1/2 hour before vacuuming.

Appart from that I burn oils.

Burn incense mostly. We've also got those diffuser things with the thin sticks in them (I have no idea what they're called!) bought a few from Myer to stick around the house....they have some really nice scents to choose from.

I'm an incense girl & we loooove dragon's blood, it's the standard one we use Otherwise the reed diffusers are good too

trish mine is up on the bench... not reachable!

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    trish mine is up on the bench... not reachable!
    Nothings unreachable with my boys Olive

Thanks for sharing everyone! I think I might go and check out some oils or a reed diffuser. I love the bicarb and EO idea too!

ETA - Sarah - Dragon's blood sounds interesting! Where do you buy that from?

vanilla carpet powder when i vaccum and vanilla partylight melts, works a treat, its all about layering the scent

I'm usually a windows open for at least part of the day girl and only oils in the mix when cleaning, but we just lived in Darwin for a bit where everything is musty and damp, and like Astolady, I loved my aromatic reeds. YOu can get them in lots of places.
    I have climbers too and can't have candles or oils burning. Another way I sometimes do it is put a couple of drops of oil on a cloth and wipe over cold light bulbs. That way when they're turned on they heat the oil and emit the fragrance.

Great idea about the lightbulbs Kim! I'd love to have the windows open, but it's FREEZING here in Melbourne atm LOL!

I'm definitely leaning towards the reeds

it's freezing in the desert too Trish lol...my poor kids, I only do it in the middle of the day if the sun's out ATM....guess we do have more sun than Vic though.

coconut candles, they don't last long, but they smell divine xo

Quote Originally Posted by ~Trish~ View Post
    Dragon's blood sounds interesting! Where do you buy that from?
    It's an incense flavour (flavour? scent?), you can get it from most new age sort of shops.

Quote Originally Posted by skybie View Post
    vanilla carpet powder when i vaccum and vanilla partylight melts, works a treat, its all about layering the scent
    Ohh I used to use the Vanillan Fridge spray at work it was DIVINE! You give a light spray on the northern facing curtains, and when the sun hit mmmm smelt gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kim~ View Post
    I'm usually a windows open for at least part of the day girl and only oils in the mix when cleaning, but we just lived in Darwin for a bit where everything is musty and damp, and like Astolady, I loved my aromatic reeds. YOu can get them in lots of places.
    I have climbers too and can't have candles or oils burning. Another way I sometimes do it is put a couple of drops of oil on a cloth and wipe over cold light bulbs. That way when they're turned on they heat the oil and emit the fragrance.
    You're the only other person other than me I have ever known to do that! Works well hey

Default What do you use to make your house smell nice?

Partylite candles or essential oils in. a burner.

The other option is to put a tray of lemon and/or orange peel on the oven to cook for a while the nice smell when you take it out is divine.

Also a bowl of lemons in a room can help

A friend of mine has those reed difuser things. They are so nice & work so well! i haven't seen any to buy yet, but haven't really gone looking either.
    I just bought one of those Airwick Freshmatic things, but it only does the front 2 rooms. It lets off a spray every 36 minutes or something.
    I usually burn incense, love rose type scents, but we usually do that when people come over, coz the just don't last as long as I like!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast