Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donor Sperm

aimswervy Guest

Question Donor Sperm

First of all, just want to say a big HI to everyone, i'm a newbie here
    First time TTC and for various reasons i've found myself here and in need of some sperm, and was just wondering about any other ladies experiences regarding donor sperm. I can find very little information online, and was just wondering how I would begin to go about it, and some idea on the overall cost?

Hi Aimswervy,

First of all - welcome. Please come and join us on the Donor Conception general chatter.

Second of all, your question about sperm. I suppose it depends on what your situation is.

Are you doing this on your own?

If you are in a relationship, how does she/he feel about using donor sperm?

Is there anyone related to the two of you (in the partnership), or even a close friend (if you are single or in a partnership), that would be willing to donate?

Do you wish the donation to be anonymous, knowing that in some states there is a shortage of donors?

Do you want to involve an IVF clinic? Personally I would recommend this option as they know their stuff in terms of medical matters as well as counselling that is needed.

Do you want to import sperm from overseas? (this is an area I know little about, but others on this site can tell you about this option).

Do you want your/his/her family to know?

Do you want the child to know in the future how they were created? Again there is a lot of research on the benefits of telling the child.

Do you want the donor to be contactable, either when the child turns 18 (which is the recommended minimum) or throughout the child's life?

Do you have any medical conditions which will give a preference to the method that you will use to conceive a child eg IUI, IVF, IVF using ISCI or even egg donation.

Do you have health insurance?

Asking these questions gives a clearer idea of how much this will cost, as well as the emotional impact this decision will have.

If you want to PM me you can.

HTH
    Last edited by Caramello; October 20th, 2007 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling

Suze_77 Guest

Hi There!

My husband and I hoping to be pregnant soon, with the help of Donor Sperm. (my husband had cancer when he was a kid so because of chemo he's got absolutely no swimmers).

It's been a bit of a long-ish road, but we're getting there. We always knew we were going to have to use a not "normal" method of having children, whether it be adoption, abduction [;-)]etc... We've had fantastic assistance from our Fertility Clinic. They import their sperm (apparently now that Australia has laws that ensure that Donor details must be made available to the child - if they wish - once the child is 18, finding Australian Donors isn't that common).

We've reviewed the profiles of donors (the 'catalogue'), made our selection and now we're just at the mercy of my cycle as to when we go in for our "basting".

Over the past 8 months or so, my wonderful husband and I have spoken heaps about what it will be to use a sperm donor. At the end of the day, we were fully prepared to adopt a child, so adopting sperm isn't really any different....but we get a chance to "grow" a baby ourselves.

The cost is a bit of a bugger. The sperm itself is $850 a pop, and none of that can be claimed on medicare. The procedure (in my case - a "turkey basting") is about $750-ish, but by the time you claim medicare, you're out of pocket about $350. so $1,200 per go. which is ok...but if you then start having difficult in falling pregnant, it can turn into something quite expensive (that's without even getting into the emotional difficulty).

Anyway, so I'm just starting the process myself...the turkey basting is happening in about 2 weeks. It's all a bit exciting/daunting. I found this website while on the hunt to find out what to do and what not to do while trying to maximise the chances of conception...I don't know a great deal of this baby caper - but I can atleast contribute to this donor chat thread!

Best of luck with everything Aimswervy...even if I have not helped that much, at least you can see there is someone else out there using donors...

Cheers!

Suze,

There's many of us using donor sperm and eggs - DH and I are using donor sperm (hence all the questions - we've been through all of these ourselves).

If you'd like, also feel free to join the donor conception general chatter thread!

aimswervy Guest

thanks for the replies

I would love to hear from anyone who imported from overseas as it is an option we've been looking into trying first as it seems less expensive (but more complicated)
    also, this may sound stupid but when importing from overseas how do you time the delivery to coincide with ovulation??

Hi Amy and Suze_77,

I am using donor sperm. I am currently single and just got to the age when I realised it's now or never.

Amy - there are basically 3 ways.
    1. anonymous sperm (but in NSW the child can get the donors identity at 18yrs). You need to make an appointment at an IVF clinic (I would do more then one due to the waitlists) and put yourself on the waitlist..they are long.
    2. donor sperm of someone you know - they need to see the docs at the ivf clinic have tests and the sperm has to be frozen for 6mths before it can be used as it is then retested.
    3. importing sperm. I know that Fertility First does import from usa. Because of our laws - you can only import sperm (thru the clinic) of a donor that is willing to be known once the child turns 18. You dont have to worry about O as they import and have them in freezer storage. I know they will also get the sperm of your choice from the states (as long as it complies to our laws) should you wish.

I hope this has helped..

Suze_77 - good luck with the turkey basting..me - been there done that..

aimswervy Guest

lulu, thank you for the reply - good luck, stay positive!
    if you dont mind me asking how much is it costing you? and does anybody have some idea of the general cost of keeping frozen sperm?

a fortune...
    firstly I am doing IVF which is the most expensive. I am doing ICSI. This is when they individually pick one sperm and physically inject this into the egg, instead of putting some sperm in a dish with an egg and letting them go for it. I am doing this because of my age, as you get older, the eggs get harder making it more difficult for the sperm to enter on its own.
    I pay around $4000 for a full cylce and get quite a bit back from medicare. Financially, its hard going but where there's a will there's a way...

Hi Amy,

My partner and I are using a sperm donor, we are going through a clinic though and not importing from overseas.

We looked at all the options... known donor, fertility clinic, australian sperm donor registry, overseas sperm donor...

We found going through a clinic to be the safest and cheapest to be honest...

When you import sperm from overseas you have to pay a fair bit... and firstly you have to check if your state allows you to import the sperm, i know Victoria (and I think S.A. ad W.A.) have restrictions. You then have to pay for the sperm, which is usually around $200-400 per vial (one insemination) depending on if you get washed or unwashed sperm, and shipping the sperm to you, which usually starts from about $250 for most companies. You also have to be careful as most times you are required to ship the container back again at your own expense, which is another cost. And also, once the sperm reaches Austraian waters, you can be required to pay duties and taxes to get it into Australia, which is not covered in most sperm bank fee's. And then you have to be really careful to store the sperm until it is ready to be used, and really REALLY careful when it comes to insemination. Also, most times when you import the sperm you are doing an at-home insemination, which usually means DIY vaginal insemination, and one wrong slip and the sperm can shoot across the room! If you are getting a clinic to import the spem, youthen have to pay the clinic for the procedure and storage... One insemination usually costs over $1000 (or thats what we worked out when we worked out fees, shipping etc).

We chose a fertility clinic because it costs us $1000, but we get $800 back on medicare. We get fertilty medication, HCG trigger, regular scans to monitor the egg, and an IUI procedure included in the cost... it worked out better for us... each cycle actually costs us $200... and the stress of storing the sperm, monitoring fertility, and making sure the procedure is done right and at the right time is lifted from us.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just giving you the facts... sometimes it is necessary to import the sperm, especially considering the lack of sperm donors in australia.
    Last edited by Indadhanu; October 23rd, 2007 at 09:47 AM.

Hi Aimswervy,

Sorry if I inundated you with questions - I was just trying to get an idea where you were coming from.

Cost for our clinic (Westmead IVF) to freeze sperm through known donor is $250 every 6 months.

aimswervy Guest

no, thats ok! thanks for replying in the first place

I was just trying to get some idea on the cost and hear of anyone elses experiences. $250 for 6 months isn't bad! If sperm was frozen there is it possible to take it home and inseminate it yourself though?

Hi Amy,

I don't think you can take sperm out of a clinic to self inseminate - that would be highly against the rules. I have heard of self insemination, however this would be on your own accord, if you had a friend to donor for you and basically you would have to do it within the hour or sperm would die etc im pretty sure. I personally would not go this way, not that i think it is wrong - im sure in some cases it has worked. But i think you would have much higher odds if you went thru IVF - but thats just my opinion. I think you could look up self insemination on the web, i know people do it but not exactly sure how- lol. Good luck with whatever you decide to do Amy.

rather hazy Guest

Hi I am new here too.

My husband and I have just discovered (on Monday) that he has no sperm. That was of course only the first test and perhaps for some unknown reason the test results were wrong, but in any case I need to be prepared.

Firstly, what is TCC or TTC that everyone keeps abbrieviating? I can't find the answer in FAQ's so my apologies for sounding like a dummy.

Secondly, it has crossed my mind to use donor sperm but upon reading this thread it sounds so complex. Is there really a shortage of donors? What is the waiting time? I'm 31, my husband 34 and we've been trying for about a year. The thought of having to wait even longer is so devastating. I thought perhaps after our appointment in the clinic (which is in January) that it might only take a few months.

And is it true about identities being reveiled when the child turns 18?

Having only just received our bad news I haven't received any information on what our options are, so I'm in the dark completely. This thread has been an eye opener. Can anyone provide any positive information?

rather hazy Guest

oh i've just found a support thread with abbrieviations, sorry

i'm am very new to this

rather hazy Guest

oh and i've just found some threads in which people are in 40's trying to concieve via donor, so i feel silly now for sounding so impatient.

i just had no idea how long it takes.... can someone tell me if the wait is months or years, please?

Hi Rather Hazy,

Again, please feel free to come and join the Donor Support thread.

To answer your question, if you have no issues of your own (eg PCOS, endo) you may be lucky enough to fall on your first round of either IUI or IVF. However it may take a few more cycles. My FS told me the other day there is a 20% of falling pregnant with IUI and 35% chance with IVF.

As far as shortage of donors, your clinic can tell you how long the wait will be. You may be lucky and have a minimal wait, or you may have to wait 12 months (at least).

Hopefully you will be one of the ones that falls fairly quickly. Good luck!

Hi, I am new here also.

I am having the same issues as you all here. So many questions!!!
    I am a single and have decided to go it alone. I'm not getting any younger LOL.

I just have a few questions

What is the best clinic to go to in Queensland? (I live in Central Queensland but am willing to trevel to brisbane if needs be.)

What is the cost (donor insemination) and is there any waiting periods in Queensland?

Hi Gem,

I understand what you mean about time moving on.

Can't really help you out with Queensland clinics - hopefully someone else up there will see this thread and help out...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast