Thread: Speech therapy program but cant take other kids

Default Speech therapy program but cant take other kids

I have this speech program that i have to take Lily to next month. It is once a week for 4 weeks and each session is 1.5 hours long. The only problem is im not allowed to take Charlie or Orson because they will be too distracting for us both.

I have no idea what to do here. I have absoutley no one that can look after them plus Orson is breastfed. I told them this but they said that they cant come. But she needs to do this program. Does anyone have any suggestions?

T, you're going to have to work something out with this. I'm sure that if you explained that a newborn wont cause any trouble (obviously) and that he is BF there is no option for anyone to look after him it would be fine for him to go. As for Charlie you are going to have to find someone to look after him because it is really distracting to have other children there. I will leave Alister with DH when I can for Paige's session, but then also having him there does help her to focus more and her speechie doesn't mind so it's a catch 22. But he isn't as old as Charlie either. You will probably have to look into temporary care for the duration of her sessions, which I know will cost money but you don't seem to have anyone that you can call on to take him and have to get this sorted out for her because otherwise she will really suffer and come time for her to start school next year she is going to be that much further behind the other kids as it is.

Where would i find temp care? They dont go to preschool or anything and im not sure if the local child care would et me do this cause of their waiting lists?

If you asked them they might know of a place that will do occasional care and some will have emergency places. Perhaps even ask at the centre where you have to take L - if that's the 'rules' they have then they may know of somewhere or possibly even get in touch with family day care as they may have a carer that could take him on that temporary basis.

Maybe look in the Yellow Pages or something for a nannying service. You can get a quote, and that way you can meet them prior to them looking about Charlie. Maybe even ask them to look after Charlie at a playground/in the reception area of the speech therapist's office so they are close if there is a problem.

We are lucky, our speech therapy is in a community centre so they actually have a creche where we can book the other kids into if for some reason one of them is home when we need to do speech.

Ours is also in a community centre but don't have a creche which is disappointing.

Just talked it over with DH and think i may have to contact the local babysitting service.

We have an occasional care centre near us and you just call them a week or two in advance to book. They almost always have temporary/emergency spots available and you just book in for a few hours or an entire day. Maybe there is something like that near you?

Hi
    I saw our community nurse a few weeks ago and she was telling me about a program they have for new mums. I can't remember what she called it but you could get someone who would come with you to go shopping, doctors appointments, etc for free. It is not a babysitting service but it is an assistance service when you can't manage on your own.I live in a small country town and we have this kind of service so maybe if you get in touch with your local community health centre they may have something similar.
    P.S. Just noticed you are from Newcastle, I also live in the Hunter Region so they should be aware of this program.
    Regards
    LisaB.
    Last edited by lmbmcb; April 21st, 2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: more info