thread: The need to feel...

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

The need to feel...

I've been thinking about this for a while. We all want to be needed yeah? Our kids, husbands/partners, family etc.
    Do we need to hear it occasionally? Someone to say 'yes, I need you' or 'yes, I want you around'.
    In our relationships, is it a sign of not being confident within ourselves and are insecure or that we doubt other people's intentions?
    Do we need to hear the words occasionally 'I love you'? Not in response to you saying it but because the other person wants to say it. Again, is it our own insecurities that make us want to hear it?
    Do we need to be told at times that people are proud of us, why we do and the person we are?

I find myself question these things on a regular occasion these days. Am I really that insecure? Or is if that I doubt other peoples intentions because I've Ben burnt so many times?

I feel lost at the moment and trying to work it all out.
    Is it just me? Do other people experience similar thoughts. I want o be told I'm needed, that I'm loved etc. not everyday but just to be reminded sometimes.... : dunno:

Nov 2010

The simple answer for me is yes, I need to hear these things on occasion. I need to feel wanted/needed. Does that make me insecure? No I don't think so, I think it makes me human. I believe we all want to feel loved, wanted and needed. To different degrees maybe but all want it.

Sounds like you need a big

Dec 2008

Yep, all the time.

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

The simple answer for me is yes, I need to hear these things on occasion. I need to feel wanted/needed. Does that make me insecure? No I don't think so, I think it makes me human. I believe we all want to feel loved, wanted and needed. To different degrees maybe but all want it.

Sounds like you need a big
    Perfectly said.... I need to hear it but not all the time & I am secure in my relationship with my DH, DD and other family members. I also like to get a pat on the back at work just so I know I am still doing a good job but overall I know how valuable I am in my team.

Sep 2008
    In a cloud of madness.

I also feel this with friends. Or so called friends. I have 3 really close friends that although I don't seen often, on most cases would probably drop very thing to help me. Everyone else, I feel like unless there is something in it for them they aren't interested. I'd love I have friends that want to catch up just because, or to feel needed by my friends, but I don't. This all seems like I'm a VERY needy person, believe me I'm not. I have grown up doing everything for myself, relying one and being my own advocate. Sometimes I just feel that I miss that feeling of having someone acknowledge my feelings and hard work.

Jul 2008
    summer street

I have also thought about this...I can't search on my phone but I started a thread in this section called the search for validation which covered some of these ideas.

Sep 2006

I totally understand Sunshine I have been thinking about this a lot lately.... I am very much feeling that from my friends- especially the person who I thought was my closest friend and sadly that friendship is dwindling and not from lack of effort on my part....

I would love to hear those words from my husband more- I need you, I love you...... and not just because I am his wife or the mother of our children, because I am the woman that he feel in love with ............and yes when I get bogged down in those thoughts I think 'oh gee I must be needy' but I don't think I am ... it is a few simple words that can have such immense power....

I am rambling!!! ....

Off to think some more

Interesting post and thank you for posting it xxo