Thread: Work and winning

Default Work and winning

I just wanted to post on here not on fb for those who are also there.

Today I had to give a talk at uni. It was a competition. And I felt like I did really well. But I didn't get through to the next round (2 out of 6 people got through). And part of me is really disappointed because I worked pretty hard on it and put a lot of thought into how I was going to present it. And I guess part of me liked my talk over the others. My DH (who is clearly unbiased - LOL) thought I should have gotten through but there was obviously something about my talk that didn't go over well.

So anyway I am just looking for a hug really because I couldn't say too much in front of DS as I don't want him thinking that you have to win. And I guess I find it hard to prop myself up when I don't get positive feedback from other people at work, which is an area I should work on. I should actually be happy because it means I don't have to then do the next round. But I feel really flat (and also a bit silly about being upset).

Krysalyss I'm sure you did really well... public speaking is very hard (you would have heard the old saying that at a funeral most people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy) so big congratulations for getting up in front of people and speaking confidently.
    You should be happy that you performed well, had a well prepared speech and spoke with confidence and intelligence. If you can, leave aside the competitive aspect of it and be proud that you did a good job.

sweetheart.
    I'm a bit (OK a lot) the same. I think we all are. Just beacuse we don't want to kids to know you have to be recognised as the winner, we still need recognition and verification of our efforts.

Thanks guys. You have made me feel a lot better. I will be over it tomorrow but it has been such a downer of a day. LOL. I guess it can't be all good. Am heading home from the office now. Going to get junk food on the way home and then settle into some more work. The more I do today though the more likely tomorrow won't be quite so bad. Thanks again xo

Ahh far out darling I’m really disappointed for you too. I feel like your DH, like shaking my fist and going Grrrr.... why didn’t she get though, she was brilliant (and I am so sure you were). Yep, be so, so proud that you did your very best and you must have learnt so much along the way too, yeah? Next time.... or perhaps there is another opportunity waiting in the wings for you. Huge hugs.

Aaaaah big hugs here from me too. I hope that the junkfood helps & just know that we think you're ace... More cuddles from me to you.