Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I might have endometriosis

Lynny Guest

Thanks again...

Kewpy, I'm not sure why they couldn't clear my tubes. To be honest, it was all such a shock and I didn't even think to ask the doc why she couldn't clear my tubes. It's something I will be definitely asking her at my follow up appointment on the 18th April.

Thanks Melbo. I'm wondering if hubby and I should start trying sooner than planned as I've heard that the chances of conceiving after the lap are greater but I don't know how this goes with my tubes being blocked. We were planning to start trying later this year.

I only came about going to doctors and now being diagnosed because I couldn't put up with the painful periods anymore. So I'm thankful in a way because if I had of left it alone and we started trying and would be wondering why I was not falling pregnant, it would have put us back even further if that makes sense.

Thanks for listening.

Lyn
    xoxo

Kewpy/Lyn- tubes being blocked really can be of a major delimina and depends on how they are blocked, for example small adhesions or endo tissue.

I had a lap just before falling pg with DD, so the laps help with alleviating the abdominal presure or atomical issues caused, eg when endo sticks your ovary too far away from the fallopian tubes or chocolate cysts are inhibiting the ovary function etc. "They" are now saying that the presence of endo actually changes the blood composition in the uterus so that is inhibits the embryo implanting. This is being investigated more thoroughly in the USA and they are hoping to develop an ezyme to conteract this problem.

Have you ladies heard of doing a blood test called CA125, which is actually a cancer detection test (ovarian I think) but in the lower range the results can indicate how far the endo has progressed. It's not completely actuate but my clinic won't undertake IVF with me unless the score is less than 30...

Hope everythings goin ok Lynney. I too have just recently been told that I have a 70% chance of Endo (symptoms which I've complained about before they found/operated on my pre-cancerous cervical cells in 96).

My first Gynae said 4 days off work for a lap, the 2nd gynae said only 2. Guess I'll have to organise some annual leave then, as my lap/hyster/d&c/die tests will be in 2mths time.

Few things I haven't asked though, especially since reading these posts:
    * cut/laser - what are the advantages of each
    * bowel prep - what does this involve
    * CA125 BT - maybe I could ask to have this
    * can u TTC/AIH/IVF the next cycle

Hi

I had almost a week off with my lap - i had three areas of lesions cut out - my GYN doesn't beleive lasering does the job...I have been started on clomid within three months of TTC because of no O so i am hoping that we are going to be pg soon - I was "diagnosed" with endo at a young age but they didn't do anything about it other than putting me onthe injection to help suppress it.

Good Luck lynny i have two people in my family who within the last four years had laps and fell pg within about three months - and also my mum - back in the dark ages had endo and tried with fertility drugs etc for eight years then had i guess what ever equivelent of lap is back then and fell pg within four months with my sis - then three months after the operation the next time for me....

Lynny Guest

Hi Shell... Doing well...just a bit stressed and frustrated about it all but have healed up well after the op. Had my follow up appt yesterday, I've actually just put a post up about treatment options.

Thanks AJ - I also had a week off work (plus a bit extra as it was the easter long weekend). Really needed it too. I asked the gyn yesterday about my chances of conceiving naturally with my tubes being blocked and she said while they never say never she seemed to think my chances weren't too good. So I guess we'll see how it goes and when we're ready jump into IVF (if we need to!)

Hi Shell

As for time off after a lap it really does depend on what they end up doing, how you respond to anesthetic etc etc.

I tried to go back to work 4 days after a lap earlier this month (my 12th) and I couldn't - really by pushing myself I elongated the recovery time.

* cut/laser - really depends on the type of endo they find and the surgeons' preferences (I've even had a "lining" put down to prevent the regrowth of endo)
    * bowel prep - you can have a very small enema before the op (not that bad really) or do a bowel prep called fleet which begins the day before. I personally prefer the enema. But again this depends on the surgeon and the hospital and whether they expect to resect your colon etc etc
    * CA125 BT - I would ask for this, my doctor uses it as a diagnostic tool - but not on its own of course
    * can u TTC/AIH/IVF the next cycle- depends again on the lap results, if endo is severe then provera may be prescribed for a number of months - or you may be able to TTC straight away.

Hope this helps

Thanks Sheree.

Hi Lyn,
    I know this is a late post - I wish I'd found this page earlier!
    One of my tubes was blocked during my first laparoscopy in December. Yet I had a second op three weeks ago and it was clear. The doctor said to me that sometimes your tubes can seize up while they're being prodded and poked. After the first op he was going to get me to have something called a liquid ultrasound to double check.

cc

Lynny Guest

Hi ethac, thanks for the info. I spoke to my gyn last week and she said that she could try clearing my tubes by inserting a wire(?) but that I would have a higher chance of pregnancy with IVF. It's all so confusing!

But basically she said that my tubes are blocked due to the adhesions and scarring from the endo, apparently I've likely had the endo since I first started getting periods. If only I had known back then!

Since I had the lap in March my periods have been shorter, lighter and almost pain free, a dramatic change from what they used to be so fingers crossed the endo isn't coming back already.

To all of those whom have had laps. So how soon after a lap did your Dr's tell you you could start TTC again? Guess it also depends on whether something had to be removed or if it was all clear too. Thanks in advance. Still waiting, might be on 6/6 theatre list now (or a fortnight thereafter). :-)

Lynny Guest

Hi Shell, after my lap they told me no sex for 2 weeks then I could get back into if I felt ready which I was by about the 2-3 weeks.

Yep it does depend on what they do to you and how you feel. My GF had a lap on the 6th April this year (one day before mine) and fell pg because she O'd almost straight away!!!

After my first lap my gyn shut my periods down altogether by putting me on the pill minus the sugar tablets. When I'm ready to TTC I've been told to wait three months after going off the pill before trying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12