Thread: Treating/managing PCOS when not TTC?

Question Treating/managing PCOS when not TTC?

I got the PCOS diagnosis April 2007, when we first approached the clinic about TTC. The aim back then was to get it under control enough to TTC, so I went on the pill (Diane) for 4 months.

That was horrible and I reacted pretty badly to the pill. The worst was the nausea the first few nights after starting back on the active tablets after the sugar pills. In short, I DON'T want to go back on the pill.

Anyway, after having Jazz AF went back to normal pretty much straight away (8 weeks PP) and was regular for 4 cycles until Dec/Jan when I got AF. Then 7 days after Af finished I got a full=on AF again. And since then nothing (the second AF finished January 7).

Which, TBH, isn't that big of a deal to me LOL Actually I thought it was because I was bfing overnight again (Jazz slept through 6 weeks to 4 months - which was beginning of December). But I have been getting the PCOS symptoms again, and over the weekend I hard excruitating abdominal pain like before I had Jazz (and in particular the time when TTC when I developed a really ouchy largish cyst).

Anyway, I am going to the GP. A new one, because we moved. I don't want to go see someone private because well its not a cheap option... Anyway, going to the GP and just want to be armed with all the knowledge I can be armed with. I don't know of any other treatment than the pill? And I really really really REALLY don't want to be on the pill. Plus I'm bfing, so I can't anyway can I?

Ok, firstly, do you think that even though I've been diagnosed they'll have to do more tests? Should I insist that they do if they decide not to? Is there anything i can ask for them to do? I am not sure of any of this since my FS made the daignosis and put me straight on the pill and booked me in for a lap so i never really discussed other treatment.

Apart from the pill and Metformin (which I think is a diabetes medication?) what else is there? Is there anything natural that I can take?

This is also a TTC "remedy" but have you tried acupuncture for the cramps? It helped me no end when I was getting cramps after not having a "real" AF for 6 years whilst using Implanon

I've been going to an acupuncturist for about 5 weeks now to regulate my periods, and its definitely having an effect. I also rub some Wild Yam cream on every day, it apparently helps with the production of eostrogen.

Metformin is generally considered to be a diabetes medication, but for some reason it also has an effect on PCOS - personally I think it's most effective for women who has IR because of PCOS, as the Metformin will lower the blood sugar and therefore help to lose weight, which in turn lessens the PCOS symptoms. Not a doctor though, so don't quote me

With regards to seeing a new doctor, I'd ask them for their opinion first, and try to judge whether they actually care about PCOS IYKWIM. A lot of doctors still don't 'believe' in it, and you'll be butting your head against a wall trying to get any help from a doctor like that

HTH chicky

Hi Leasha,

Exersise and eating foods that are Low GI are said to be a big help. Walking for even 20 minutes a day can help balance out hormone levels which trigger the PCOS symptoms, and the low GI food helps to keep the insulin levels down.

Also, like TK and Sunflowa said, acupuncture is a great natural remedy if it is something you are willing to open your mind to.

HTH

i'll agree with the low GI food - the changes to my system have been immense!! when i was first diagnosed with PCOS - the insulin resistance side of it was so bad that i was having hypos all the time (during the GTT i'd have normal BSL's before the test, and after 2 hours, my sugars would be at levels that were so severely low i'd be looking at hospital time!) - now, my BSL's, even in pregnancy, are perfectly normal!

accupunctture can help with a lot of the symptoms as well, and if done regularly, can help to get you a cycle where you may have otherwise not had one. i know the "man, it's nice to not have AF" feeling - i love it - but at the same time, i know that it's not great for my body!

metformin can help but it has some nasty side effects until you get used to it - your 4 days of hell on the pill would probably become a few weeks on met - but once you're on it, for a lot of people, it will stop the insulin resistance to the point of allowing your ovaries to function properly

my suggestion - tell the new GP the FS told you that you had PCOS, but you're not sure - from the sounds of it, the FS noted polycystic ovaries on the scan, but didn't do the hormonal screening (i might be wrong) - it might be worth having the BT's for hormone levels tested and even have the GTT with insulin level testing at the same points so that you can work out WHAT parts of the PCOS you have - i have all of them (yay me!) but some people don't, and it's best to base any treatment on YOU, not just an idea based on a diagnosis (hope that makes sense)

BG

Thanks all, will definately look into the AP.

BG, yeah I know its bitter sweet, love not having AF, worry about not having AF.
    I did have the blood tests too I think, well i had some at 7, 14 and 21 DPO, among other things LH and something else, pregesterone or testosterone or something ( brain blank) I can't remember I'd find it if I looked up my TTC journal though... I think I'll have to. Got an appointment tomorrow arvo. But yeah thats a good idea to get 'rediagnosed'.

Will have to look into low GI. Never took much notice of it before so not exactly sure what low GI really even means!

Low GI is pretty simple once you look into it a bit - it's basically swapping processed foods for more basic foods - so instead of highly processed white bread, swap to multigrain. instead of white rice, use brown (or basmatti - i hate brown!). wholemeal pasta. more protein, less simple carbs. minimise white spud and swap to sweet spud where you can. i've found it hasn't changed what we eat much at all meal wise - just the components kwim? you just need food thta your body has to work to process so you don't have the sugar highs and lows

for instance, the bread is nothing to change. ummm, when we have something with mash, we do a mix of normal and sweet spud (i find straight sweet spud isnt' the same!)....

as to the testing - that would have been to test your progesterone and LH surge info after taking the clomid i'd say - to make sure you ovulated and work out when to inseminate - the screening for PCOS includes early cycle FSH, progesterone and estrogen (i think). not too dramatic really.

is it possible to get your records from the diagnosis to your new doc (maybe new doc can request them - just play dumb and say you had scans and meds and were told something was wrong but not sure what!)

All the tests were pre-TTC, i never had any tests during the TTC period (odd I know, my clinic didn't do BTs during the cycle for some reason??). but yeah I wasn't entirely sure if they were to diagnose or not but he did refer to them. Dunno. Probably best to get them all done again, things have probably changed a bit down there since having Jazz anyway. But yeah, will see if they can get the results from the clinic. Shouldn't be hard.

leash- i used met- regulated my AF form 90-120 day to 30-35!!

I was on Metformin for the insulin resistance linked to my PCOS. before that like BG i found that a low GI diet and exercise worked best for keeping my symptoms down. Like you i could not take Dianne either, the hormone swings for me where to great as my hormone levels are extremely high.

I have been refered to a dietician to come up with a low GI eating plan that wont affect my bf as i am not taking my metformin while bf.

thanks for posting this thread Leasha!! I am in the same boat. I have 2 girls and we don't want anymore, but I need to know how to manage my PCOS when I am not ttc. I have also just had my implanon implant out, it is due to expire soon so had it removed. But I have been having really bad cramps and abdominal pain, dizzy spells and feeling so sick. I reckon its the massive hormone drop, I remember my levels being tested when we were ttc with Gemma and I had higher testosterone then progestorone! Now thats scary. I have been to my GP, a new one as we just recently moved and he was bloody useless!!! I've also ben diagosed with another medical condition that my Dad has to through another spanner into the works!

Sorry to get off track! I will be following this thread!!

Well i have PCO but not the syndrome... My body produces estrogen but nor progestrone. At 1st i was told i would never have kids etc etc and that i had severe PCOS... I got a 2nd opinion and turns out i only had poysistic ovaries... with some help of some pills i concieved DD... My isse was i never got AF after having my DS. Now after having DD i am now back to having AF... Weird.