Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to expect from laparoscopy?

Default What to expect from laparoscopy?

Hi,

In need of some advice....I have been booked into for a laproscopy on 08/06 and really don't have much idea what to expect...I mean my gyno explained the procedure but it would be nice to have some first hand experience and advice so if anyone can help please do.....I am having this for suspected endometriosis...Can anyone tell me whether they had bad back pain with endo? Hopefully someone can help me out and shed some light on what to expect...I will let you know how I go. Thanks Jess

I never knew I had endo till a cyst burst. I was just one of the unlucky ones that would be doubled up with period pain each month.

As far as laps go it is keyhole surgery and they make a small incision in your side and one under your belly button. I also have one on my pubic line as well. Recovery from it is pretty quick you will feel like hell for the first day or so but I was back to work after 5 days. I think the worse thing with mine the first time was the severe pain in my shoulder where gas (that they use to bloat your abdomen so they can move organs around) can get trapped.

Goodluck with it all

Love

Sal Guest

Hi Jess, I had a lap a couple of years ago because my GYN wanted to see if there were any problems. They found moderate endo and removed it (using cautery or burning away the endo). It made sense that I had endo as my period pain is quite bad in my lower back.

As to the procedure, I had the endo removed and also had ovarian drilling (holes are lasered into the ovaries) so must admit I was in quite a bit of post-op pain. But it's hard to say whether the endo removal or the drilling was making it painful.

Fingers crossed no endo is found in which case you'll be the slightest bit tender from the poking around in your tummy but apart from that you should be fine.

All the best for the 18th.

Hi Jess,

There are a few endo/lap stories (including mine) in the thread "I Might Have Endometriosis" posted by Lynny. Experience of the op will vary according to what they have to do in the way of treatment while you are under. You might not have endo but the lap is the only way you can rule it out for sure.

The back pain sounds familiar. I used to get it in the lower back and down into the legs. There've been times when I've thrown up, fainted or had diarrhoea thanks to endo. When the lap was done, endo was found basically everywhere. I was amazed to see the pictures and relieved that finally I had the diagnosis. I hope it brings you some peace of mind too, whatever the outcome.

Love,

Mel

Thanks girls......

I am so over being sick but at the same time am stressing about what any diagnosis will bring....Thanks for taking the time to share your stories with me...I really appreciate it and I will be sure to let you know how everything goes. Its good to know that if it is endo that there are people I can talk to about it....Once again thanks Jess

Tayla Guest

Hi Jess... tis been a while since I popped in here... but it's one of the few forums that have something set up for endo... and it's just good to talk to others.

I've been through 6 laps since being diagnosed with endo... and they have all been a bit different.

The first was probably my worst... as like you... I didn't know what to expect from it... and I'd only ever been in for a D&C and didn't come out of the aneastitic (sp) very well from that. Not to mention that I had severe endo... had it everywhere and it was all old as well... so the op took over and hour.

Astrolady has explained the proceedure very well... although for 5 out of 6 of mine... I had 3 incisions to be able to remove all the endo present. The one under the belly button is to put the scope in... then I have had the other two down on my bikini line... one on either side.

You will no doubt have some tenderness around here... and as mentioned the gas as it moves back up through your shoulder.

My first one took me well over a week to get over... going in on the Tuesday and not returning to work until Monday... and even then needing to be very careful as too much movement really killed me... it may have had something to do with where it was removed... I don't really know.

My last one however... I was back on my feet the next day looking after 2 kids.

As for pain previously... I had very bad back pain... my periods were an absolute nightmare... even to the stage that I would take a day off work each month to deal with it... cos believe me... I wasn't the nicest person to work with at that time.

Don't stress too much over the diagnoses... despite what I've endured over the last 9 years off having endo... finally being told that it wasn't all in my head and I wasn't hormal was such a relief more than anything.

Although it wasn't easy... I have too beautiful children and the pain and bleeding are finally under some sort of control... and I manage to lead a mostly 'normal' life these days.

I hope that helps you a little... and feel free to ask anything... I will pop back and check.

Good luck!

Default Thank you

Tayla....

Thanks for your response....I am at my wits end with being sick so I think finally knowing that a diagnosis may be on its way makes me feel a lot better (I can get away from its all in my head!!) but at the same time I am stressed about the effect of a diagnosis such as endometriosis. I understand that there are many women out there who suffer from it and it can be helped with surgery etc but it is still an incurable disease that can strike again......Surgery is not my biggest worry...had to have colonoscopy and gastroscopy in March because they thought I may have had Crohn's Disease or Coeliacs but I guess it is the unknown with the laproscopy...will it be....how bad will it be.....what if...all these things are going through my head at a million miles an hour. I thank you for your honest response and I look forward to chatting to you again...I will defintely post next week after the lap to let everyone know what is going on.....but I will be around before then maybe we will catch up......

Cheers Jess

Default reply

Jess hey, just wanted to wish you good luck.

I've had 9 endo operations,having kids didn't help it for me, unfortunatly-but the recovery isn't that bad,sore for as couple of days then ok, not sure what else to tell you darl, you'll be fine darl. Oh and I had shocking back pain also?

Hi Jess, I was feeling just like you, scared of the unknown, until Tue (31/5), had lap/hyster/D&C/die studies. They found stage 1 endo in uterus & pouch of douglas & he said it was a success, so it put all my worries at ease, so I consider myself lucky.

My cousin who's the same age as me, had hers removed on 26/4 & my aunty had a full hyster at age 24 as she was riddled with it, but she had already had 3 kids, so think they thought that was the best solution, as she didn't plan on anymore.

I had back pain too, but I put that down to my twisted pelvis & bulged disc, so can't help you there. I've read a bit & found that someone can be riddled with it & have no pain, whereas another might only have a little bit of Endo but alot of pain, so it really depends. There are also so many success stories of those whom have or have had endo, whom go onto conceive. Also my Gyn said it doesn't matter how little or how much endo is found, that it secretes a toxin, which affects the sperm & egg, hence causing infertility whilst it's there.

As for how you feel after, well sick (nautious, sp?) & sore, but it's just reassuring having answers & knowing that your 1 step closer. I will be back at work on Monday. Shouldn't be on here hey, but just had to log in & check where everyone was up to.

Your answers will be here in a few days, hang in there, hope it goes well.

Tayla Guest

Hey Jess,

I had a colonoscopy last August... and the recovery was a little easier that a lap... mainly because it was a heavy sedative rather than aneastetic and that there were no incisions.

I hope all goes well next week and I will check back to see how all went.

bmuseful Guest

Hi guys I am new here and have been to see a gynie who wants to do a lap to see whether i have endometriosis... I am pretty scared of all the whatifs and howbads and all and am having a terrible time with the gynie since i told her i wanted to go on the public waiting list and am pretty confused. I am really concerned about the lap and what to expect and have read your posts to Jess (good luck with your lap Jess and i hope that all comes out well and you feel back to better in no time).

Good luck for tomorrow Jess, hope it goes well.

Have a post-op question for the many of u whom have had laps/hysters/d&cs:
    * how long after surgery do u still get some pain/twinging?
    * did u get some bubble type feelings in your belly starting about 4 days post op & continuing for several days?
    * did the op mess with ur cycle, eg: I had mine done on CD11, wondering if I'll have AF on CD28?
    * did any of u have an awkward muscle/ligament type feeling in your lower pelvic region/bikine line (awkward when sit/lie) b4 (& after) surgery, which continued after, even tho gyn said there was no sign of endo on any ligaments etc?

Thanks.

Hi Shell -

Yes I did get post op pain particulary over one ovary. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he said "Well it's only been three months but let me know if it keeps up". Sure enough, it abated fairly quickly after that.

When you're talking about "bubble like feelings" are you referring to wind pain or similar?

I did have lots of little twinges and things afterwards and my belly remained swollen for two weeks (I actually looked pregnant for a short while). Initially, it was the gas but I think the rest of it was just due to a little bit of post-op swelling. There wasn't any bad pain though.

How long ago was your op again? I had mine in December and the twinges continued till March.

Cool, thnx Melbo.

Just curious what to expect & when afterwards, forgot to ask gyn all these questions & next aptmt is 6wks after lap, which was Tue 31/5 (CD11), not quite 2wks ago, know it's still early days yet.

Yeah, noticed AF-type belly for me too, no bad pain, just like u said, twinges & little pains, except awkward feeling in pelvic region, where leg meets body (bikini line) still playin up daily, but don't know what that is, coz no endo found there. Bubble type feelings not like wind, more like muscle twitches, think they've stopped anyhow, was just wondering what they might be.

How bout your cycle, did it get all messed up?
    Eg: CD20-27 (spot), CD1-4 (AF), CD11-14 (like AF), CD21 (spot).
    Started spotting today, not sure if it's classed as AF or just spotting.
    So d'yu still get AF pain after & if so, reduced?
    Is AF more like spotting for 1st cycle after?

I had my first lap in december. I had a lot of pain post-op because of the gas and took a long time to recover. I stayed in hospital for twenty four hours and was still taken to the car in a wheel chair. My doctor found that I had extensive endo in my pouch of douglas (aparently where it's most painful).

I was told to expect pain for up to 12 weeks but I still had pain 5 months later so I had a second lap. To my surprise this time I was able to walk out the door that afternoon. The doctor found more endo and that my rectum and uterus had become stuck together with the scar tissue from the first op. I felt brilliant after that lap - completely normal and pain free for the first time in a year.

Two weeks after the second lap though I had quite bad pain in the bikini line region that you guys have been describing - accompanied by some shooting pains down my legs. I got really depressed because I had been feeling so good. I still get it to some extent - I thought maybe it was my ovaries being irritated by the fact that my periods are being suppressed (I have written a post in another thread about this) - Is that the same for you guys? My doctor thought I might have adenomyosis (endo interna) but an mri showed everything was normal, so he just shrugged his shoulders at it. V. frustrating.

Sorry Shell l d and Melbo,
    I just posted that and realised you were also talking about your cycle so I guess your periods aren't being suprressed like mine. I wonder what the mysterious 'bikini line pain' is then???

Thnx for the info Ethac, wow, u had a bad time with lap.
    Yep, it certainly is frustrating still not knowing what something is.

which other post did u ask bout the bikini line please, maybe i'll add a link to this post & c if any more info...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast