OUR iron will last forever - I hadn't used it since last year before I pulled it out to press some hems last weekend!
Le Creusset pot my mum gave me will be here in 2000 years' time, as will my Tupperware classics (probably not the Illusions bowls!).
My wool duffel coat...even if it stops fitting me, that thing will keep going.
My dog's Kong - indestructible and cost about $40...worth every cent!
My Mac 12 inch iBook - 4 years is already forever in computer talk with the same operating system, original guts and all
I bought a Braun hairdryer about 12 years ago and it used to dry my hair straight quite regularly (a tough call in any brand's language)...still going...
I've been shedding our house of stuff that won't last because we had too much hanging around that was no good...and we don't even have a lot of stuff! Vacuum cleaners have had the worst record for us and I was recently recommended to buy a small commercial unit instead. The Asko washing machine I got from my parents (when it was already about 13 years old) will be turfed soon because as much as it COULD last forever, the cost of repairing what was wrong with it isn't feasible for us to consider on our income, so we got a recon one that can last ages cos parts and labour are far cheaper (it's a Fisher and Paykel, so it's also 'supposed' to last forever!).
Our original Phil and Ted's buggy - made to last for sure.
My dressage and jumping saddles and my bridle (though not really household, huh?)
Latex futon mattress with wool layers - I don't think the business we got it from exists anymore (anyone seen Red Futons relocated from Elwood? Would be most grateful for a lead! He also made beautiful Japanese inspired furniture and I wanted him to make a sofa bed for us!).
As for stuff we haven't bought in the last 10 or so years, all our antique furniture (which is most of what we have), and DP is restoring a set of 8 dining chairs and the table he inherited (at least 90 years old), that we use on a daily basis (bookcase, hallstand, sideboard, wardrobes, chairs, chests of drawers. They don't make furniture like they used to...you're not even supposed to be able to repair modern furniture! Silverware, jewellery (I have inherited stuff and I've only ever bought myself two silver rings - tough as guts they are! - and I don't include 'costume jewellery' as jewellery), barometer, violin, binoculars (two inherited sets) and a set of cowboy spurs my uncle gave me from Honduras (they are on display, but are perfectly functional for riding).
Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; September 25th, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Bookmarks