Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Defence Force Families

Your Dh can see anyone he likes outside of base medical but he will have to pay for it. The only way defence will cover it is if a doc on base writes a referral.

Just adding we are an Army family in Perth, have been doing the posting thing for 10 yrs now but here for as long as DH is in. Nice to be settled for a bit

Just adding Im not a fan of DHA, I seem to be jinxed when it comes to them

Thanks Indi! My doc bulk bills me anyway even though I don't have a concession card so hopefully she can do the same for him, if not whats $50 for peace of mind right? Also - you're not the only one who isnt a DHA fan! We're a bit jinxed too

Defence aren't allowed to be bulk billed as far as i know.

We had a 6yr posting to Tsv then we got our home town Perth for 2yrs and now another 6yrs Tsv but will probably have to leave again after that as DH has to go to a training unit not infantry but hopefuly things will change by the time posting comes about and we will stay lol, so comfy here and love our friends civvi and defence

I thought it was the doctors choice to bulk bill? Meh, he can still claim back from medicare since he's on my card anyway. Like I said, for peace of mind its worth it!

Shauna - are you in Tsv now or in Perth? DH is trying to get a trade transfer out of artillery to Sydney to do his electrical but they have to fix all his weird and wonderful medical problems first!

and just check sf if dh has a medicare card.. mine doesn't and that made our ivf treatments etc a pain in the bum with receipts for claims and such (even with our referrals).

ooops just saw your post.

Hmmm I cant understand why they are being so slack at Lavarack? When we were up there they were completely on the ball for my DH who had some issues with a kidney tumour and an allergic reaction to something which ended up needing emergency surgery.

I would keep pushing with the medico's and maybe see if there is some sort of soldier liason person who could maybe chase his treatment up?

My DH has been bulk billed in the past with out any complications, its not always possible for them to get to a base doctor. Maybe it depends on the individual doctor.

When DH was up north they were great and even sent him off to a chiropractor (we had a family one anyway ).

They arent supposed to be bulk billed cause they dont pay the Medicare levy.
    He could get into trouble for seeing a civvie doctor but sometimes you have to do what you feel is right. Just be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by teresa View Post
    thanks everyone!

i shouldnt have an issue getting a job anywhere as i am a nurse so that should be reletively easy. we dont have any playgroups or things like that here at the moment at edinburgh so when we move i will definately get involved with that.

thank you so much for all of this. it has really helped.
    There is a very active defence playgroup that meets at DSTO (every wednesday, I think). They seem a pretty friendly bunch & they do other social things sometimes too.

Strawberryfields I am still in Townsville, we are here til Jan 2014

We have always been told that they can not use medicare for something that is covered by the defence but it may have changed, we also can not use our private health for even just chiro it gets rejected so i would look in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    There is a very active defence playgroup that meets at DSTO (every wednesday, I think). They seem a pretty friendly bunch & they do other social things sometimes too.
    really? how do i find out more info about it?

I'm on the bus right now but I will pm you later

We are with Defence Health (kids and I) and there is an option for DH to be on the family plan too, but at a higher cost. Our PH covers dentist, chiro, osteopath and even part of our Independent midwife costs for A (but that was 2 years ago).

[QUOTE=StrawberryFields;2758075]
    But, he's had high blood pressure since October last year and they're doing nothing about it, he has constant headaches that not even prescription painkillers can soothe and they know that and just keep telling him to drink more water, - which he does and it doesn't help -

If your Dh has high BP and is having really bad headaches, i'd be getting that sorted ASAP. I'd pay the $50 for a doctor if the RAP aren't doing anything. High bp not something to play with especially if his headaches are attributed to that.

And yes defence members can apply to have a Medicare card & see civvies doctors like anyone else. Not paying Medicare levy recognizes that defence pays most of their medical but it does not exclude them from using the Medicare system, it just means they have to pay gaps like the rest of us instead of getting it for free. I will see if I can find some policy guidelines & will post a link if I do.

thanks marydean!

Quote Originally Posted by owens5 View Post
    If your Dh has high BP and is having really bad headaches, i'd be getting that sorted ASAP. I'd pay the $50 for a doctor if the RAP aren't doing anything. High bp not something to play with especially if his headaches are attributed to that.
    I know thats what I've been saying to them! It runs in his family along with heart disease - his aunt died of cardiomyopathy when she was his age - and they know that yet are still doing nothing after 6 months! They also keep saying the headaches have nothing to do with the BP but MIL and AIL are both nurses and have said that is bull and it would be extremely unlikely that the two are unrelated unless the headaches were eyesight related which we've already established they're not. Plus they keep telling him he must be dehydrated and thats why he gets headaches, and so they give him rehydration salts - which he can't take because he isn't allowed salt because of his BP! Its like everybody there got their degrees off the internet or something...Honestly if it was a civvy hospital or medical centre it would be shut down in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    I will see if I can find some policy guidelines & will post a link if I do.
    That would be great - I tried to find things on the site but nothing useful came up

Shauna - We're here until Feb 2014! But its looking pretty likely DH will have to trade transfer because of his knee, thats if they don't just discharge him - which would put us seriously up the creek! In any case he's desperate to get out of 4 field, so he'll request one anyway if they don't make him change.

That would be great marydean

StrawberryFields if you ever want to catch up just sing out i am usually free except for kids in tow lol!

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast