Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Defence Force Families

I had heard that WBSB!

Dh is in Murray bridge ATM for his final compliance shoot before the transfer. His current Sarge doubts very much that the paperwork will be done in time for him to go on the conversion course that starts on the 8th. One of the higher up members of the 10/27th decided they only need 1 full time clerk, and nothing is getting done properly. we wouldn't have this issue if when DH had gone inactive, someone had done the paperwork properly when he reactivated. His current temp job is being really understanding and know that he could get minimal notice. I am noticing that temp firms seem to be more understanding than permanent employers! I guess they have the thing of if you are not working you are not getting paid, so your loss, we can find someone else.

Taz, DH has been ARes for 5 years and is tranferring to regular army. I have been a defence partner for longer that he has had ties to the defence IYKWIM. He always wanted to be a soldier and was always wearing camo before he got in.

I am pretty much guaranteed work if we go to Brissy or Darwin. My temp firm has offices there and Darwin especially are desperate for temps. hoping for brissy though coz anything over 30 degrees I melt. I hate Adelaide summers! it got to 45 degrees last summer! yuck! be nice to have some rain sometimes! but I also like sunshine!

I know i probably should have just edited the last post but I have a rather imprtant question.

If/When DH is posted O/S do we qualify for single parent pension? This always confuses me! I will also make a post for Briggsy's Girl as she would definately know.

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    I know i probably should have just edited the last post but I have a rather imprtant question.

If/When DH is posted O/S do we qualify for single parent pension? This always confuses me! I will also make a post for Briggsy's Girl as she would definately know.
    No because you aren't single (technically). It is the same as if he went on a holiday. You could call Centrelink to clarify and also if you chose to stay where you were and he went to the new posting but as far as I am aware for both you are still married, defacto etc. Single means that you are no longer in a realtionship. But of course if Centrelink say differently then please let us know cos that would be great )

No you do not qualify as single, although until July 1 this year you'd get a Centrelink windfall in your family tax benefit and child care payment amounts as Centrelink previously only calculated your taxable income. However this is changing as of July 1st so you will need to work out how much he is likely to get paid and report that to Centrelink early on in the deployment or you could end up with a massive overpayment problem at the end of the financial year. This will be a nightmare and IMO they have not considered the full impact this will have on Defence families who often revert to pretty low incomes once the member is back on Oz soil.

[QUOTE=Marydean;1312718] However this is changing as of July 1st so you will need to work out how much he is likely to get paid and report that to Centrelink early on in the deployment or you could end up with a massive overpayment problem at the end of the financial year. QUOTE]

Hi, I was just wondering where you had heard/read that as we haven't been told this and no oneI know has heard this or mentioned it... The people who answer the phone at Centrelink aren't always the most helpful when I've rung in the past about taxable income relating to deployment so any other info you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks

This is a brand new change which will only take effect from 1 July. You can read the full document here

I get foreign income
    How will my payment change?
    From 1 July 2008, any tax exempt foreign income you earn from an Australian source while stationed overseas will now be included as income and used to work out your family assistance.
    Other foreign income will still be used to work out family assistance.
    I have spoken to Defence wives who rang FAO to clarify and yes this definitely applies to deployment income which was previously not included as income for family assistance purposes. I believe many Defence families will be caught out by this.

Well that just negates any of the positives of going to places like Timor where the pay barely makes being away from ones family for months on end bearable! It's not the same pay as "war like" places, where I understand the money earned is quite significant... Really and the defence force wonders why they have retention issues... These are all just a litle piece in the puzzle.

even though you have all answered this question and the answer is no I thought I would let you know that you dont get extra money even when you are MWDS as we did that for a yr just after DD2 was born, it because you are still together and are still living off his money.... I do not recomened going MWDS ever as it is just way too hard so as much as you dont want to move to a place it would be so much better and easier in the long run to move... The only way we got back together ( as in the only way DHA and postings got us together ) was for BHL to discharge they prefured to lose a PO MTE ( hard to come by in the navy ) than to bring him home closer to the family!!!!

I had heard of this new tax and like MD has said its going to get alot of defence people... the goverment wonders why they are loseing so many member its things like this you dont even get rewarded for serving OS in war/ peace keeping zones, All this is going to do is make more leave .... I wish they would start listening to the boy's when they have tose silly meeting ( what would keep you in the defence meeting ) instead of having them and not listening to anything they have to say...

I see it as simple bring back the pension ( I know my BHL would have stayed for 20yrs then) bring in family medical not just serving members... and stop letting DHA stuffing people around... I know that if they brought in any of this they would have kepted BHL in or he would go back... Plus they need not such a big difference in pay for when the Navy boys are at sea to when they are home ( dont know how it works for you army familys )

Sorry thats my little sook, but it still gets me so mad that they never do anything the boy/girls ask of them, and then wonder why our numbers are so low....

Wannabe, the pay they get is still tax free after 90 days in Timor - but you don't get that tax back until the end of the year. IF they are in Timor for less than 90 days it is taxed as per normal. The entire amount plus their allowances counts towards Centerlink totals either way.

I know, it sux. Here, carry a gun, get shot at, and by the way, we'll have that money back from your family while you're away and you're not really paying attention!!!

Oh thats ridiculous about the deployment benefits, sheesh.

Another 'Thanks Mr Rudd' moment

Hey, has anyone looked into the new Defence Home Loan package? Thoughts?

No, but we wont be eligible for a while.

Well the reserves have stuffed us around AGAIN!!! The Psychs wont be available to do DH's psych test until the end of this month so he has to wait. He is hoping to go in August but I am not taking bets! I have some full time work for at least 6 months so if they stuff us around again DH has decided that it is not worth it and will go and work with his friend. Did anyone else get stuffed around this much? we have been in limbo land for months! We are thinking about finding a house with a short term lease because we have to be out of this house by 6th of October. If we hadn't been stuffed around we wouldnt have any problems.

ArmySpouse77 Guest

Hi Alioops,
    Forgive me if this post doesn't show right, it's my first one. My partner has recenlty re-enlisted into Army after originally serving about 10 years ago (before we met). He is currently at Pucka but we are expecting to be posted to Brisbane at the end of August - so if you are there it would be good to stay in touch. Like you, I have similar concerns. What is the housing like in Brisbane, what are the other 'defence spouses' like, what is the support network like? My partner comes from a defence family, his father and step mother are both navy and his mother is ex navy (very very years and years ex) so he understands it all, but I am a newby and while I am not nervous about it I still feel that I might be in for a little bit of a shock. We don't have children yet but are planning to start trying next year (depending on deployments). So any advice or contact from yourself or others in Brisbane would be great.

Hi ArmySpouse77.

We havent been posted yet, as the reserves have been mucking around with the paperwork, but DH should go away for training late August / early September, so we will be posted after about 12 weeks of training. I am hoping for Brisbane but there are no guarantees. It would be awesome to get posted to Brissy! From what I have heard from DH and some of the girls in here, the houses can be hit and miss. some are really nice, others are small and dingy, like housing trust. so hoping we get a nice one

Well ladies, after some more mucking around we have been posted to Townsville!!! DH is being sworn in on 8/9/08 and then we will head up there. I am nervous and excited and cant wait to meet some of you!

Congrats on finally getting some movement at the station Ali - I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

Also, there has been clarification on what income is included in calculating family assistance. Income earnt in warlike zones is still tax exempt and is not included in the calculations. Income earnt in non-warlike (eg, Solomons, Timor) is included and FAO needs to be notified so you don't get an overpayment debt.

Red face

Hi ladies,

It's been a while since someone posted on here but here I am. I am a newly pregnant army wife, hubbie has been in full time for 4 and a half years. I found out I was pregnant while hubbie was in Melbourne preparing for a four (hahahaha) month deployment to the Solomon Islands. YAY. Not. He supposedly get's home in April next year but knowing the army like I do, I'm seriously doubting that.

Anyway's the joy of being an army wife. We are currently posted in Sydney. This is our second posting to Sydney and we were glad to come back here as it's close to our families. We live in a service residence in Bexley, one suburb over from my parents so that's working out really well.

I don't have a lot to do with the other army wives here in Sydney cause we don't live out at Holsworthy (too far). However, while in Bandiana I made some really good friends. They are now in Darwin, Brisbane and wodonga so don't get to see them much

Anyway, that's probably enough for me for now

Haha, Jeremy get's 57 a day for being in the Solomons. It's a load of crap!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast