Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dolls for little boys

Guys I think most of you misunderstood We're getting him a baby (as well as new cars, mega bloks and a case for his camera), I was really wondering whether it mattered to get a gender specific boy one or if a girl or gender neutral one was ok too. We won't be doing the fluffy pink doll with a dress sort of thing though

I think it's a great idea Sarah, because once Miss J is older she will have her own dolls (and boy does that get expensive LOL) and at least he'll have his own doll to play with so there will be no fights

Most of the ones you'll find are gender neutral apart from the clothes, but you can find ones with green, yellow or blue clothing. If you specifically want a boy one you might have to go to a toy shop instead of just BigW as they are a bit harder to find sometimes. Unless you get a cabbage patch kid, but they're not really the type of baby you're after? Either way it wont matter though

ETA - I got one for Paige for her 1st birthday from BigW for $10 and it was a soft body with plastic arms - so it could have been any gender you wanted it to be. The jumpsuits they had on came in most colours too. Not sure if they would still have something similar to that.

OH! sorry for misunderstanding!

no, i dont think the gender would matter at all

sarah we went gender neutral for Jake's doll it is one with the zips, clips and buttons so he can learn to do all of those as well. He also has a girl rag doll that he kisses and cuddles too.

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    Oh, and here's hoping that Zander isn't into breastfeeding his babies
    I had a friend who's son breastfed a bear. It was very amusing. At the time we were living in a residence where we had communal meals. and little Jonathan (about 4) would rush through his dinner then stick the teddy up under his shirt and sit there making gooing sounds for about 10 minutes. The only time he would misbehave would be when he wasn't allowed to bring his bear to dinner.

my son who is 22 months old loves dory the exploxer and fifi on pay tv , so i brought him a doll, he enjoys playing with them. so let them have fun, just what i say .

I get where your coming from Sarah, I don't think it would matter what sex the doll is it may be good for Zander to associate it with his new sister so he can role play alongside you but in saying that he will probably do that with a doll of either sex, have you tried taking him to the shops and seeing which one he leans towards or maybe if you attend a playgroup or find a friend who has some dolls you can try before you buy and see which one Zander prefers,

goodluck and I hope to hear what you decide.

We have a friend who has definate ideas about gender and was really horrified when I put one of Paige's dancing skirts on his 1 and a half year old boy (a nice hot pink and sparkly number) he totally loved it and danced around watching the sparkles, dad declined the offer of a loan...can't imagine why????
    Spent the rest of the night talking to him about the importance of letting children role play and experiment with toys and allowing them to engage in open ended play with materials(the child carer in me I guess)

I see no probs with it. My 9 yr old nephew had one and he has given it to my son and he walsk around kissing and cuddling it.

I have just brought my DS a doll for when bubs arrives, i got him a full plastic doll so he could take it in the bath, I got him a boy doll as we are having a baby boy, and he has told us he is having a baby as well, next week i will get him the girl one too as he told the midwives he is having two babies a girl and a boy. I dont think it matters wether you get him a girl doll or a boy doll. I got mine in toyworld for $17 they come naked so his big sister has kindly donated some of her doll clothes, by the way she also has dolls of both sexes and ones that dont have a gender at all.
    If your not sure i think the target brand dolls dont have a gender and then he can decide himself wether its a boy or girl baby.

FWIW I once read that the best dolls are the least detailed ones because it allows them to use their imagination to imprint whatever they want onto it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12