Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dressing Boys (clothing choices)

I'd call those Mary Janes Bath, not sandals.

DS has a lovely pair of t-bar sandals in brown and so do another 2 boys at kinder.

I like em, and they are much better than the "sandals" (surf-type shoes) that are available in CAMMO for boys....

Quote Originally Posted by Lulu2 View Post
    I'd call those Mary Janes Bath, not sandals.

DS has a lovely pair of t-bar sandals in brown and so do another 2 boys at kinder.

I like em, and they are much better than the "sandals" (surf-type shoes) that are available in CAMMO for boys....
    they are the kinda sandals i was thinking of lulu - the ones you can get in leather that are really supportive

i have no big issue with surf sandals on occassion, but think for everyday wear the good leather ones are probably better for their feet

He loves wearing all my bracelets and my mums beads! He puts them on and we say "oh be-yoot-iful" and he loves it!
    My Flynnie is like that - he calls everything "neck-ill-lace"

Lulu: yep, I agree, they are often referred to as Mary Janes but some have a bar down the middle... and are marketed as uni-sex. But would many parents put a boy in them? I would... for a boy under 4yo.

I really don't like velcro sandals... which are the predominant sandal for boys these days. My sons wear them because we have hand me downs that i never waste... but generally only if it's to a park/beach/sandpit etc.... not on a shopping trip or somewhere where they are not going to get dirty.

ETA: sorry missed your last post BG: I agree in summer open toed sandals are the way to go... but in autumn/spring I like my boys to wear cotton socks... and these types of enclosed sandals are really practical. I don't like my boys wearing runners for long periods... too synthetic... I buy leather runners for my DD... but even she only wears them for sport.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; March 12th, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

I've never stopped to think about it with DS....it's always been my way LOL. I dress DH too

I obviously always buy in the boys section, but do admitt I have very strong ideas with my own clothing & I'm the same way with DS. I am constantly annoyed at the lack of interesting & funky stuff for boys, they do miss out greatly in the shops I believe. I shop a lot online as you can find more interesting things. I do like to be dressed differently & tend to go towards interesting & vintage items & do the same for DS. I'm guessing he will prob grow up particular about his clothes & alternative with no fuss due to me being the same way & dressing him like that now.

I never fuss about colour, if it's in the boys section & i like it then no worries. Charlie has a few pink t-shirts & a pink shirt. One day he was wearing his pink t-shirt (with massive black writing on the front) & a pair of army cargo shorts & someone called him a girl.....grrrrrrr at almost 2 it's fairly obvious he's not & what prob annoys me most is other people creating the issues & stereotypes....wearing pink...must be a girl!!! what's with that.

He can dress up in whatever he wants & if he feels the need to wear that to the shops, bed etc so be it. I will let him know if I think it's a good idea or not & then he makes his own choices. DS also has a doll & a baby pram...it's about learning not gender!

And lastly, I do really dislike the character clothes...so much so that even my mum won't buy it for DS as she knows I will not put him in them that's just me.

DS has been playing dressups all afternoon. And is currently sporting a lovely red dress... he is walking around saying in this weird voice "I'm like a lady" which is reminding me scarily of Little Britain... LMAO!

We're not into gender stereotypes so we don't get too bogged down by how we dress our son. He most certainly wears a lot gender neutral coloured clothes- are even these just for girls now??

As a few others have mentioned, a lot of the boys stuff is very dark and drab which I also dislike. So I mix and match whatever bright, fun stuff I can. He wears a lot of stars, stripes, greens, blues, reds. I have little soft leather shoes for him now with rainbow coloured birds on them and he had sandals with closed in toes at summer (I didn't know they were off the list?? ). My golden rule for dressing him is to mix patterns and colours as much as possible so he looks funky and not drab.

He wears a lot of knits and had quite a few cardies as a baby. He now also has a teething necklace. I don't dress him in ribbons, lace, frills, flowers or pink though. If he decides he wants to wear those later I couldn't care less but for now I think it's best I don't put him in those as people may think I have issues with his gender.

I'm trying to find him some red shoes but I find they're only for girls so I'm looking for some without bows on them! I look at the girls stuff for him to help me find bright colours but I wouldn't get anything with girly embellishments.

Red shoes: My 5yo DS wears my DDs hand-me-down cherry red Doc Marten boots! They are very groovy... cost a fortune at the time but have lasted so well... the sole has very little sign of wear.... no doubt my 3rd child will also get his turn.

WITHOUT reading more than page one - I'll edit if needs be!

For me, DS wears whatever he wants. He had a Christening dress. My favourite clothes for him as a baby were brown dungarees with a blue long-sleeved body underneath or his gorgeous cream-burgandy-orange-brown "forest friends" clothes I picked up in Austria with a pair of cream/beige cords. I'd dress a girl exactly the same, except for maybe a pink long-sleeved body under the dungarees.

I didn't dress DS in a slightly "girly" outfit (brown with a bit of salmon-pink and orange in... which I'd bought as being fairly neutral) because the evil midwife (the Fat Controller one) kept calling DS "she" all the time because "I just guess and I'm usually right". Evil cow! DS was a BOY and I was desperately trying to bond with my much wanted baby and I was thrilled I had a boy, I really wanted a boy... and there's her calling him a "she".

But otherwise, I know DS picks to wear pink hats and that doesn't bother me. Pink is a colour which can sometimes look good on DS, depending on the shade. He looks better in deep reds, browns and beiges, oranges, dark green, dark blue, sky blue (but NOT medium or baby blues) and cream. And some pinks, but not baby pinks. Dusky pinks look great though. The odd bit of white, but not too much. He has been dressed in these colours since he was a baby. Because he looks good in these colours, nothing to do with boy/girl. He inherited mostly my colouring, which I'd bought for anyway.

DS also plays with putting on make-up, brushing hair, the toy dressing table at Nursery, loves playing at cooking with me... but mostly loves playing trains. That's who he is, we didn't force any of that. I'd be happy with fewer trains tbh!

Yes, I'd let DS wear pink, if he wanted. But for his first year everyone assumed he was a girl even when I did blue-overload just because I am happy with my boy and want people to not assume he's a girl! Hasn't happened for almost 9 months now, so there's a lot less blue in his wardrobe now LOL. No black because it doesn't really suit him - but I did bemoan the lack of black when I had to take him to a funeral.

ETA: no sandals because in the UK, even in the summer, it's too cold! That and they just aren't as good for the feet. Hand-me-down shoes I refuse. Not because we couldn't do with them, because of the damage second-hand shoes cause. PLEASE don't damage your babies' feet with second-hand shoes. It's a "pet" of mine so I'll not go into full-on soapbox mode but PLEASE don't do it. I've also seen some funky pink shirts/ties for DS but they weren't the right shade. He has some great shirts and I love him wearing them. But in the correct colours! DS also wears my jewellery and DH's jewellery, not an issue for us. The only time I say no is when I catch him with expensive stuff or when he's gotten into my Elizabeth Arden make-up (again... he loves the magnetic closing) and trying to put it on and I just can't afford to lose that powder! Here - have the cheap stuff! He loves doing his lips so much he has his own stick of lip-balm (so you can't see it all over his jaw LOL).

I'm sure DS has a pic up on facebook of him wearing a t-shirt my sister bought him that he has only just grown into... he was about 4-5m old and loving wearing something which looked like a dress.

As for character clothes... I have a "no character" policy. Which everyone ignores. So DS has the odd igglepiggle and a few Thomas trains. Big deal. He has Thomas socks and Roary socks and IgglePiggle pyjamas... no big deal. But he has no going out clothes with characters on and that's the way it will stay. I won't object to him picking Thomas pants though to encourage toilet training... not that I really have to encourage that LOL. I did refuse character clothes my mum bought because she knows my policy... she took them back. And agrees now that DS looks better with a moose on his top than yet another Thomas.
    Last edited by Ca Plane Pour Moi; March 12th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I hear you on the hand-me-down shoes thing Ryn, and on the whole I agree.... especially for shoes like school shoes that are worn almost daily. However there are soooooo many pairs of kids shoes in this house you wouldn't believe. My 5yo DS has more shoes than me!!! I'm talking about 18 pairs. So what I'm saying is that if a pair of second hand shoes, that doesn't have any significant wearing especially on the sole, is only worn for a few hours over the course of a week, or even a month, then i don't see the harm. But if your child only has a few sets of shoes I wouldn't let them wear a second hand pair very often... especially if there is significant wear and they are being worn almost daily.

ETA: oh and I would also put my child in a good quality pair of second hand shoes (like Start Rite or Doc Martens) than a cheap and nasty pair with a stiff sole that won't bend etc. IYKWIM

DS has one pair of shoes and one pair of wellies - that's all he has. Per size, of course. I don't see the need for more than one pair... and before you say anything, the only shoes I have are my wedding slippers, which I don't wear because white shoes and a normal outfit? I have 3 pairs of boots though and a few pairs of sandals and a pair of trainers. But mine are cheaply bought and a lot need throwing out because they don't fit well. DS has Kickers and they're a LOT better and more expensive than my shoes. Also, I have shoes from 15 years ago because my feet don't change as much as his do! But I wouldn't give DS's Kickers to another child: he wears them a LOT and his feet WILL change the shape of the shoe. It's not worth the pain, trust me, I have had the operation to put my feet right.

I think it comes with having 3 kids (accumulating so many pairs of shoes)... also my sis gives me all her kids cast-offs which are really appreciated as I don't have to buy "playing outside in the digging patch clothes"... which leaves us money in the budget for me to only buy nice outfits We have different tastes in clothes too.... especially our boys. I dress my boys in quite old fashioned and retro clothes... whereas my sis prefers the current trend... generally speaking. But yes, my 5yo DS has well over a dozen size 11 - 12 shoes.... that are all currently worn. He actually is very good at lining them all up at the bottom of his wardrobe... when he is done he comes out and says "can you come and look at my shoes... I have tidied them up 'just so' ".

What are Kickers?

DS normally has one pair of gumboots and 2 pair of shoes in any one size, and sandals in summer.
    I tend to buy them at show shops and get him fitted each time - I have high arches and DH has flat feet so I'm a bit paranoid about correct fittings etc. Though I have bought some on ebay before, but I knew the size as he had another, similar style in the same brand.

As for clothes, DS likes to wear most colours so we let him. I love blue and purple so he does tend to get things in those, and generally always has a black tshirt or skivvy (which my family are horrified at!) He does have a fair amount of red tops, as the colour looks really good on him.

I do tend to put DS in typical boy clothes because I like the look... but today he was wearing pink fluffy bunny ears at the shops and I thought that was great!!!

Kickers - a brand of shoes. They're pretty decent, look nice... but are a little pricey. They only do male shoes. DH loves that brand too for him because the shoes are so comfortable and mould to the feet well. DS just likes the look, he is very particular about his clothes!

I am really interested in this discussion but I haven't read all the posts yet, I'll BBL. I just wanted to share a pic of my DS with what I think is fusion fashion at its best http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...3&ppuser=10122 . His totally girly pink Dora hat offers such excellent sun protection and his Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon T-shirt is super cool. His Daddy has a matching T-shirt and they wear them together often (no matching Dora hat for Daddy though).

paradise lost Guest

Ryn when did kickers go male-only? I had a pair of petrol-blue chunky heeled kickers when i was in school and they definitely WEREN'T for a boy!

Bx

What? Where? I'd love a pair of Kickers! I've never, ever seen girly Kickers though. And believe me, I've hunted for shoes in every shoe shop this side of the border (one of the "advantages" of giant feet is that you only need to go into the shoe shop once and never again).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast