Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How were you proposed to???

Wish I had something romantic to say but I don't ..
    I had never wanted to get married until I met my DH
    He used to say to me that he was going to take me away somewhere nice for a weekend.. but it didn't happen.
    My kids started using his surname at school as they logical thought out that he was their earth dad ( their father had died) and that they should have his name ( they were only 7,5,4) so they told their teachers who rang us.
    All our family were a bit unsure ( DH had an awful ex and I had been through quite a bit with my kids and thier dad ) so i guess to 'settle' everyone DH said well lets get married then. And that was it. No proposal just a declaration for everyone else to feel better about.
    I really longed for a proposal ( never had one ) a engagement ring ( I picked one out and paid the deposit. DH just picked it up from the shop and kept it in his beside table till my hens night where he said well guess you had better wear this!) Then he wanted it back. He said we shouldn't have wedding rings as he would never wear one with his job. I secretly got him somehting made up that he wears to this day on his necklace ( he already had one it was a bit of a 'joke' between us but it was cheap plasitc so I has one made out of silver identical to the plastic one as his wedding ring. he didn't know about it till we exchanged rings.) I didn't like plain gold bands but then he said to buy two gold rings from kleins which i did. My mother picked they were fake and told me I would regret it so I went and bought a diamond band the day before the wedding.
    And guess what to this day i don't wear either ring.. as the engagement is not a engaement ring to me ... he never proposed. And the wedding ring was something that i thought was going to make a difference as my mother said I would regret the fake ring but I regret the whole ring thing as neither ring means anything to me.
    Actually I am getting both rings metled down and turned into a dress ring.
    I know I am really hurt about it. Time will heal. I do love him bu the whole wedding thing at that time was to make everyone else happy. I wanted to marry him but not at that time or that way.
    The worst part about it was that when we were friends beofer we started going out he had told me all the things he had done for his ex like propsla , romantic honeymoon on an island ( she hated it) buying presents for birthdays, mas etc. And guess what I still to this day get nothing.
    He told me that the only anniversary he wanted to celebrate with me was our first. And by the way that didn't happen either I booked a romantic holiday to NZ and he couldn't make it as he had to work!!! He stayed home I went with my BF and had a ball ( the jazz clubs in Christchurch are fantastic

Yes I hurt but I have strated not getting him anything.

I told DH shortly after I met him (I was 16) that I did not believe in marriage and that he shouldn't ever bother proposing. The only marriage I'd seen at that stage was my parent's and it was horrible. Over the next 9 years, I got to see how other people's relationships worked and began to realise that it can be a really wonderful thing...

So then I had to bring it up: "My love, you know how I said I never wanted to get married..." and we ended up having this long chat about it and both concluded that it was actually a good idea. At the end of the convo he just looked at me kinda coyly and said "so, do ya wanna?!" and I said "um, yeah".

SO romantic... not! But it's our story and I love it!

Awww there are some beautiful stories here!! Brings back so many memories!

In June 2005, my Husband Gary planned a surprise weekend away for us to Eungella National Park in North QLD, he booked us into a beautiful Horse Riding Resort as I am horse mad, we had our own cabin complete with campfire, outdoor shower all by ourselves in the wilderness, we went horseriding on the Saturday with a big group, he had the ring in his pocket the entire day and was so nervous but I had no idea!! Nothing happened on the Saturday but we had an amazing day riding and a gorgeous night in the cabin

On the Sunday he had organised us to go Horse Riding on our own all morning, we had a great time, the weather was perfect, the scenery was outstanding and we were having so much fun, we came to this little creek in a field and being a not so accomplished rider Gary said he needed to take a quick break, he got off his horse and asked me to hold it, went and splashed his face in the creek and came back to me while I was still on my horse, he asked for a kiss and as we were kissing a felt him fumbling around in his pocket, out came the box and he got down on one knee and had a speech prepared which I will remember the exact words to forever...

He said, "Alicia, I am in love with you and nothing would make me happier than for you to become my wife. Will you marry me?!"

I was so surprised! The first words out of my mouth were "Are you for real?!" But in an excited OMG way! He sort of gave me a funny look for a second and then I said "OMG YES!" and flew off my horse got down on the ground with him and we were both crying and hugging, so so soooo happy, then he reminded me of the ring!! I hadn't even looked at it!! It was PERFECT! My dream ring! A .5 Carat Princess Cut Diamond with 8 smaller Princess Cut Diamonds, 4 on each side of the larger one.. We immediately rode back to the stable holding hands on cloud 9, we got back to the stable and everyone there rushed to us asking "Has it happened?!" They were in it all along, lucky it had or they would have blown the surprise! We were so excited to get home and tell our friends and family that we didn't even stay the extra night he had booked! When we got home I found out that everyone had known all along! Gary had told all of my friends and family what he had planned and they were all waiting for our call

It was the most amazing, beautiful, thoughtful and romantic proposal I could ever imagine and the happiness I felt then has only ever been topped on our Wedding Day last year, which was equally as perfect! We just found out we're pregnant this morning so I think that amazing happiness is about to sweep us over again in 8 months and we're so excited!

My favourite quote for him is "To the world, you may be just one person, but to this one person, you are the world" - Too many people get caught up sweating the small stuff and taking their partners for granted. Every couple is going to have problems, it's inevitable but I think the trick to a happy marriage is appreciation, gratitude and recognition that marriage is a privilege not a right - You have to learn to argue without hurting each other and acknowledge that no one is perfect and never will be! Amazing men do exist, but that doesn't mean they're perfect! I got so lucky with my imperfect Husband, we're so blissfully happy and I only wish everyone could meet "The One" and be as happy as we are...

Awwww whether it be pregnancy emotions or just retelling the story, I am feeling so teary with happiness right now, I'm off to tell my Husband once again just how absolutely amazing he is to me...!

Wow, some great stories. AliciaMrsH yours is gorgeous!

DH and I had been together 4.5yrs when he proposed. He had already asked my Dad the day before which is tradition in my family and the pressure had been on him for a while but he wanted to do it in his own time. It was Valentines Day in 2004, cliche' I know but romantic in a cute kinda way. I was asleep in bed when he woke me with toast, a coffee and some flowers, he sat on the edge of the bed with it and pulled out the ring and said "I love you so much, will you marry me?" I was beside myself with happiness and the ring was so gorgeous and 'me'. It is an amethyst with a diamond either side so not conventional but unique. Definatly one of the best days of my life.

i think my story sucks now that i've read all these but i'll tell it anyway
    we met in april last year funny story but no time for it now
    about a month later i stayed around his house and it was a sat morning we were in the lounge on a mattress (he had no furniture) under the covers and he started talking about it and i told him he had to ask the question before he would know the answer and he asked me and i said yes i didnt think he was serious
    not long after this i moved in with him and we decided to try for a baby and 3 months later
    not long after this his mum asked if we wanted to get married she organised it and 4 months later we got married so yeah he was serious lol

My DH officially proposed via email.... Ok, it sounds bad, but I should add he is a graphic designer so it was an extremely cute PDF attachment. Her only really did that because I was peeved at him already that for a man who insisted he wanted to marry me, he hadn't got a ring or actually even proposed! He designed that and there was a beautiful heart shaped garnet ring waiting for me - as garnet is my birth stone. Since then he has gotten me matching necklaces twice and earrings once.

He lost a bit of his uber romantic streak after a couple of failed engagements - and has copped a fair whack of grief from me over "taking it out on me". Poor honey - but I love him dearly.

My story isn't overly romantic, but its in my husbands true style. Always and forever trying to make me happy. I was at work one day and had been having the worse possible day, nothing was going right and I just wanted to go home. We had been text messaging each other and I couldnt wait to get home as he had promised me a candle lit bath!

Not even half an hour later a beautiful bunch of 12 red roses arrived, with a gorgeous little teddy - and a card saying simply 'SMILE'. Within minutes he had arrived at the office and infront of all of my collegues and friends he asked me to stand for a hug. As I stood he dropped on one knee.

"Of all the people in the world fate led me to you. You are my sunshine in my darkest day. My love, my happiness and my being. Without you I would not know how to love, to laugh nor to live. Your beauty radiates through your smiles, your eyes and your laughter. Waking up in your presence is waking up to a bright future. I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life in your arms will you marry me?"

He then presented me with the most gorgeous bling, I couldnt believe what I was hearing I was one of those girls who was never getting married until I met the man of my dreams. He swept me off my feet and before I had a chance to think about it my response was YES! I kind of had to double check myself. Did I really just say that?

I called my Mum & Step Father and found out that he had phoned both my Father and my Step Father 3 weeks prior to ask their permission and that he was just waiting on the right time. Needless to say, the timing was perfect and I spent the rest of my day on cloud 9 not thinking at all about my work struggles!

Not romantic here at all.

DH thought it would be easier to get him insured on my uk car insurance if we said we were engaged. I told him it made no difference. But he just said well we'll go get a 'friendship' ring. Anyway the ring cost more than he was expecting so proposed. (have now another engagement ring that matches wedding band lol)

We phoned his parents in Aus about 1am

Soon his dad was on a flight over to visit his 'sister' lol. And no dought to chech me out lol

Engaged after knowing each other 4 mths, married 4 years later.

And growing more and more in love everyday. (if there were any mire room for mire love ;0). )

Quote Originally Posted by alioops View Post
    DH proposed in a hot air balloon on my 18th birthday. He couldn't get down on 1 knee - there just wasn't enough room!!
    There must be an instruction manual or something as my DH did pretty much the same thing. It wasn't as romantic as it could have been because it wasn't a surprise, I'd worked out that was what he was planning because I knew him so well. What was romantic was him being really old fashioned and asking my mum (because my father had passed) for permission.

Oh my gosh some of these stories are so gorgeous!!

On our 4 year anniversary of being together, which was also DH's b'day, I was getting ready for a few people to come over for a BBQ and was cutting up kabana in the kitchen and DH called me to the bedroom. I remember yelling "WHAT DO YOU WANT I'M BUSY!!" Anyway I go into the bedroom and he was laying on the bed and asked me. My response was 'are you sure?' Classic romance and class right there - then I yelled "I need to call people!" and was off!! Very exciting! That was 7 years ago now and although he isn't the most romantic guy in the world, he really is the most wonderful friend, partner and dad that I could ask for.

We were away at my partners brothers wedding last year getting ready to go to the Wedding, DD was in the bathroom doing her hair, DS was whinging on the floor and i was searching through my suitcase for my jewellery, I couldnt find anything and made a comment about how i feel naked without it, i packed it im sure.
    I proceeded to dress and DP went out to the car to search for my jewellery, when he came back in i was dressing DS he looked nervous but i didnt have time to ask why before he said something along the lines of "I was going to do this properly and take you out for dinner but seeing you have no jewellery (a long pause) i would love you to spend the rest of your life with me, i then looked up and said (out of frustration of running late and being hot stuck in a motel room with 2 kids whinging and no one ready for the wedding) what are you saying i dont have time for this, then i noticed the ring and said Oh sorry i didnt um sorry, he then got on one knee and said will you marry me, the kids went quiet and i was in shock, i was not expecting it and actually i dont think i have answered him yet, although we are getting married in 2 weeks
    Not the most romantic proposal but one i will always remember i guess.

I didn't get the traditional romanctic thing and cant actually remember the real exact moment. we had only been going out less 2 months when I think we were already talking about it. we talked about it alot, and sort of i guess had just decided it was going to happen, but there wasnt an exact moment when it was for sure. less than a month later was xmas, and on xmas eve DH said he wanted me to open one pressie that night, i was like no i have to wait to xmas day for pressies, but he just didnt let up, so i was sitting on his bed (we werent even living together at this stage) and i opened the pressie and it was THE ring, now he had given me rings as pressies before but i knew this was THE ring. And it was exactly how i descibed a ring i had dreamed about a few nights earlier. was exactly what i wanted.
    after that i just wore the ring, we never made a big fuss about it, because we were still surrounded by people who didn't approve of our relationship and thought it was wrong. I didn't even tell my parents straight away. once i did i sat down and talked to them about it, and they have been supportive since.

i dont know, wasnt romantic, just we both new it was going to happen. and wasnt a big fuss, it just did. but I wouldn't change it for the world.

I didn't get proposed to. I got informed in the middle of an argument that he was going to marry me. I was so surprised that I STFU and then I told him not to be such a ****head.
    Not much romance there lol.

We had just arrived in New York. We were exhausted after having spent 9 hours at LAX waiting for a connecting flight, but DH wanted to go to Central Park - probably about a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel. We started walking and after about 2 blocks it started pouring with rain. We ran into a little pizzaeria and decided to wait for the storm to pass. He was acting really weird and was really quiet. I got cranky with him and told him to 'snap out of it, you're in New York for god's sake!' As we walked out of the cafe, it started raining harder so we headed back to the hotel... I was so wet by the time we made it back, I clearly remember standing in the lift and watching the water run down my face and drip off my nose.

We got back to the room and DH went to close the curtains so I could get changed. He said that he turned around and I was standing there laughing my head off wringing water out of my hair, and that he just knew he had to do it then. He walked over to me and said 'this is so us, isn't it? Sit down, we need to talk' and I **** myself, thinking something was wrong!! He reached into his pocket and I suddenly saw this glistening and I burst into tears!! It took me about 5 minutes to stop crying and he kept asking 'is it a good cry? Are you saying yes?'

I love it, of all the places in New York to propose, it happened in our hotel room after a walk in the rain!

The first time DH proposed was on our first Valentine's day together. I was only 17 and was about to start uni. He proposed more out of fear of losing me than anything else. He thought I'd meet someone else at uni who I had more in common with (DH isn't academic at all). I'll give him credit, he had a ring and got down on one knee and everything, but I said no. He knew that the ring he'd bought was too big anyway.

He proposed a few more times over the years, but never again in a way I chose to take seriously (by SMS or over the phone).

We'd been together almost 4 years when he again proposed 'properly'. We'd looked a rings a couple of months before so I knew it was coming and he knew he'd get a yes this time. It turns out that I picked out the same ring that he'd already chosen anyway. We were driving to the south east of SA on boxing day. DH's grandparents own a property in the middle of nowhere right on the beach and we usually spent some time around new year's down there. A third of the way there just past Tailem Bend, the car broke down - the engine completely seized. DH called RAA, we got picked up and taken into Tailem Bend to wait for a tow truck to take us back to Adelaide. While we were waiting outside of the mechanic's garage DH went to get something out of the back of the car. He asked me to sit on his lap and gave me one of those rose-shaped ring boxes. When I opened it he said "Will you marry me?"

DH hates me telling this story though. He had plans to propose at sunset on the beach that night and is still disappointed that things didn't go to plan. I think it was an omen. He proposed in a broken down car and currently our house is surrounded by cars that are broken down and he is repairing.

another no-romantic one here.

DH and I had been together 18 months when we'd talked about getting married. we even looked at a few rings here and there and i showed him two i liked. nice and shiney but not OTT.

come our two year anniversary he wanted to supprise me with a nice dinner at Mt Dandynong. sadly he couldn't find the place, so spilled that much to me and i found it for him. so off we trot. i text my best friend at the time going "hah, two years and whats the bet he wont pop the question tonight?" she text back "hahah you never know!" we have a nice dinner with horrible wine - it was more like vinger then wine! and nothing.

now im not backwards in comming forwards and as we walked back to the car and i looked at him and said "i thought you'd ask me tonight, but i guess it was too much to think about i guess" we sit in the car and he starts fumbleing around 'trying to find his seat belt' next thing he pulls out a ring and says "are you SURE you want to stick with me? im not a huge money earner and i cant promise you'll live like your folks do. but i do love you" and with that i called him a ba$tard serveal times then hugged him (over the arm rest in the car lol) and said "yes you tool, yes!" followed by 3 phone calls. one to my mum. one to my sister and one to my best friend. my best friends reacton topped the lot, she screamed loud enough for DH to hear, with out the phone being on speaker!

Nothing romantic here either. We were talking to MIL telling her we were going away for the weekend to do some christmas shopping, and DH informs his mum that he is buying me an engagement ring, in front of me. This resulted in me telling him "No you're not" I dragged the poor man around to at least half a dozen shops trying to wear him down in the hope he would leave the idea alone. He wouldn't give up, and so i picked something out that i liked, but not loved... It had to be resized, and when it arrived home, he gave it to me asking if i was sure.. I said yeah, why not, now get out of my way i've got to get ready for work.. lol...

Dh proposed on the beach in Bali, three days before our wedding.

He had always said he would only propose to me in Bali, as we got together there in 2004.

So in 2008 when I fell pregnant with our son, we had to move our original plans forward. Well we didn't have to , but to DH we did. He was bring silly one night and we were arguing about names and he said well you have to marry me now otherwise my son won't have my name. That's what happens, your stuck with me now in a funny but serious sort of way. He though our son wouldn't have his last name , soooo funny

So we were planning a September 08 wedding but moved it to June as decided to get married in Bali rather than just the proposal lol
    And because by then I would be 17 weeks and still able to fly and wear a dress.

So we planned our wedding and when we were there, in Bali DH and I rode our motorbike out to our special place where he asked me to be his girlfriend in 2004 and on 1st June 2008 we became engaged officially thought we married two days late.

I got my perfect ring in our perfect place with my perfect man and I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out for us.

I used to joke that I'd leave him if he didn't marry me after 3 years. 3 being my lucky number. So he knew it was time anyway lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast