Thread: Surprise surprise

Default Surprise surprise

Lately I have been getting the "cold shoulder" feeling off my PIL's. Just little little things. Like when they phoned for my birthday, usually I can't get MIL off the phone but on this occassion & a few since she was very quick & I can honeslty say I was cut off when FIL got on. Was a very quick "happy birthday, Seeya" & then hung up. I was rather shocked.
    I have disagreed with alot of things that have to do with them & I just figured its catching up with me & they have decided they are "over" me. Anyway the most recent thing is DH having to go to cairns for a wedding. I have said from the begining that only he will be able to go, not all of us. His family are in Cairns (well near there anyway) so DH wanted us all to go. But its just to expesive & we wont get the time to do thing for ourselves. I don't want to spend so much money just to visit family. I know that might sound selfish but we are not in a position to spend close to 3 possibly even 4 thousand dollars in air tickets, car hire, accomidation & all the rest that goes with "holidaying". We went up in Sept 05 for 2 weeks, it was hell. We only had money to pay for tickets to get there. Once there we stayed with his sister & used her car. This time round Staying with his sister isn't an option. She is very anal & doesn't have kids & it was not fair on the boys to have to be in a non child friendly house for 2 weeks. This time there will be 3 kids. Also car wise she isn't an option as her car is not big enough for a family of 5. Anyway back to th point. MIL kept saying how we should Drive up this time. It would save on cost of plain tickets (has she looked at the price of fuel lately??) and also we'd have our own car to get around. I said this isn't an option as DH only has a week at the most that he can take off & it wont be paid. So there is no way we could drive up & back in under a week & still have time up there. She kept on about how good an idea it was to drive but just kept missing the point. Today I got a xmas card in the mail, or should I say DH got a card in the mail from them. First thing I noticed is it was addressed to DH only. It was obviously a xmas card & I thought it was odd that it was only addressed to him, normally its to both of us. I just thought yep I have been snobbed. Anyway I opened it up (I don't care that it was addressed to DH,not me) & much to my surprise there is a Chq for $500 in it, along with a note saying to use it for something our family would liek to have. Now I wonder if she means a trip up north??
    Anyway nice to have the money but it wont be used for a trip to visit them. Hope they aren't expecting that.

Inlaws eh??? You can never be sure if its double meanings? Even still Id be happy to get a) a phonecall on my birthday and
    b) a cheque for christmas..wow..we get nothing at all.

Who'd chose them eh. Happy spending

Jo

yeah, I don't really know why I posted that. I guess mostly because they do surprise me. I mean here I was thinking they don't really care seems all Isla got for her "Birth" day was 2 cheap outfits, Honestly I know the value shouldn't be what I am looking at but it felt as though they had the "Oh well 3rd child, who really cares" additude. But then they send down $500.
    I am thinking that they would be hopin gwe use it to come up. But I think it will be put away to help with the new car we need. That or DH might just want to spend it on things we wouldn't normally. Who knows.

OOOH, I hate when ppl make you feel guilty about not going or doing something due to money & then they thinka token amount will solve it! Have they not heard of... WE JUST DONT WANT TOO!"

I ahve had it with one of my dearest & best friends recently she had her birthday at the Melbourne Cup, I dont have frocks, I dont froc up for anything!!!!
    Plus the inlaws were here so i said I wasnt gonna be able to amke it, it would have been a bloody expensive day out, so she offers me umpteen dresses to borrow...
    In the end I just told her the Cup didnt interest me right now, she was hurt, but when I took her to U2 concert for her present I think I made up for it!!! hee hee

Oh well Fiona, it wasnt addressed to you, but I'm sure you can help spend it!!! LOL

kerry Guest

If a husband and wife own a business they are considered a sole trader not a partnership as a married couple are a single entity... therefore what's mine is yours!

Thats how I see it too Kerry & why I open his mail LOL.

Who knows what goes through their heads Fiona! Don't even get me started on my ILs... I guess the best thing to take from these kind of things is how NOT to be when your own kids are grown up and you're a MIL!

Its funny, I told DH what I thought their intensions of sending the money was & he said so would you come to QLD now? NO! $500 is no where near enough! Gees its not even enough to cover the wages he will loose the week he goes!