Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for turning vegetarian

Question Need advice for turning vegetarian

Ok, DH and I decided last night that we hate the thought of eating animals (even though thats typically what they are bred for - our consumption) and that we just feel sick thinking bout where it came from in the first place.... especially when DH was pulling the meat off the chicken last night, he was getting quite sick from the thought that it was once a bird flitting around the farm....

Anyhooo..

What kinds of things do I need to make sure are in our diet so we aren't missing out on having meat? I'd particularly like enough meals for a different one every day of the month - is this reasonable, or is there only so many vego meals you can make?

I'm also worried about the kids - currently I serve up meat and vegies and they only eat the meat - so have to have stuff for them too that they will actually eat.

I've only got a few recipes for vegetarian stuff, vegie burgers (which are delish but the kids don't touch) and a vegetarian spag bolg (which the kids love cos they love spaghetti). I've got a good recipe for zucchini quiche - but its got bacon in it - any suggestions as to what I can use instead of bacon?

Um I think thats all my questions for now... help!

My SIL is a veggo and I googled and came up with a whole heap of recipies that I printed for her when she had her bub. I also bought her some really great books for x-mas - I think one was a Womans weekly one that was great!

Beans - like kidney beans, butter beans, etc.
    Lentils
    Mushrooms
    Spinach

No doubt you can do a different meal everyday of a month...A good way to start might be by replacing your staples with vego alternatives - like bolognaise with tofu or beans instead of mince, lasagne with veg instead of bol sauce, sausage rolls with mince beans instead of sausage meat....

Urgh LS - ditching the mushies, hate them.. LOL... just the smell of them cooking makes me wanna hurl.

The lasagne idea is a good one though, could use the spag bog sauce definitely.

Never tried tofu though..

Thanks kate - I'll have to start googlin I guess! Can't afford the recipe books.. LOL

My SIL eats a meat "substitue" thats amde into snags and mince - she says it tastes great! Not sure what its called but I can find out if you like??

Yeah sure Kate, that would be awesome

My gf is vegan, her husband is vego, check out her blog, she puts up recipes all the time and def worth a try!
    The Thoughtful Kitchen
    She even makes ace cupcakes and things.

One of my fav is what we eat at the temple is a fried noodle dish. Not really sure the exact quantities but here goes:
    * pack of dried vermecilli rice noodle (the small ones), cook it slightly soft first
    * Shredded cabbage
    * Oyster mushrooms from the can - shredded
    * ****ake mushrooms - undried and shredded
    * Those long mushrooms which i forgot the name of (long shoots)

Fry mushrooms and cabbage in a wok
    Add noodles
    Add soy sauce a bit of sugar and salt to taste

YUMMMMMMm served with some chilli sauce and extra soy sauce

YUMM!!

Oh, Mel, hooray!!!! I'd love for you to join us!

I eat a different meal every day of the month, except for maybe a few meals that we love soooo much we have a little more often. And that's as vegans, so you can definitely do it.

For your zucchini slice, you can probably just leave out the bacon.

Oh, man, I have so many zillion ideas, I don't even know where to start.

If the kids love spaghetti, you can use that and do some different stuff. Pesto is great, and you can add a bit of extra protein by using chickpeas instead of pinenuts. Lately we're also loving crushed garlic, grated zucchini and homegrown tomaoes as a pasta sauce too - as a vego you could probably chuck an egg through it too, for your B12 hit.

I really love risotto, although haven't had one for ages. Mushroom is my fave, but I guess that's out for you! My fave vegan option is pumpkin and sweetcorn with wholegrain mustard and chives.

Gotta go call the ILs. Will kickstart Vegetarian Chatter again, and get you veging!

Woooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo!

Thanks guys.

Mum2 - eww too many mushies in that recipe for someone that hates them.. any other ideas? LOL

Audax - was hoping you would pop your veggie noggin in here. You need to write a book and send it to me

There is a pretty good range of 'fake meats' - for bacon you can get 'not bacon' - it's by Sanitarium and I get it from Coles (in the refrigerated section). That would be nice to use in your quiche. It tastes pretty bacon-y to me!

Best of luck with going vego!

ETA - got the name wrong. They're called 'vegie delights - bacon style rashers'.

Woo hooo to you Mel! Vegetarianisim is definitely kinder on the planet. As you know my kids go to a vego school & I was a vegetarian for a very long time. I am now slowly evolving back to vegetarianisim for the same reasons you & Mr Mel are... It's just not a funky thing to eat our furry friends.

I make a mean vegetarian lasagne that true blue meat eaters love. It's made with brown lentils (soak overnight about 2 cups)
    Fry onion, garlic, oregano and basil. Add chopped finely carrot, saute until semi soft add finely chopped zucchini , a couple of cans of tomatoes diced, some vegetable stock and red wine and then add the drained and washed lentils... Just gently cook over a low heat for about an hour... Use as bolognese sauce or as the base to a lasagne. YUMMO!

I make yummy red lentil patties. Soak then boil red lentils until soft. (overnight soaking for legumes is best). Add chopped onion and loads of garlic a hand full of chopped parsley and a cup of grated cheese. Roll in some chick pea flour and egg and flatten out Fry in olive oil... YUMMY!

I personally am a lover of whole foods so I don't favor the fake meat products - I've tasted them & not much liked the taste.

Vegetarian cooking is limitless you definitely will be able to have a different meal for a month - but like meat dishes you'll find thsoe that are your staples. Vegetarian risottos are great. Chickpea curry have you got a good recipe for that?
    Dahl?

Good luck!

Hehehe sorry mel we're such a meat eater here at our house but I know there are alot of meat substitutes like the other ladies have suggested. How about veggie lasagne with grilled egg plant and capiscuim of stirfry hokkien noodles with heaps of veggies yummmm

Quote Originally Posted by Suga View Post
    One thing to consider if you don't want to go completely vego is to have the occasional meal of organic meat. At least you know that the animal has been treated with respect and has has a good life. You can give thanks to the animal for their contribution to your life.
    Ahhh thats true - but its the fact that they were murdered just so they can feed us that bothers us

Inanna - those recipes sound good - do you have measurements for those ingredients? I'd like to start writing some stuff down

Do you eat curries? There are some good curry recipes out there using lentils.

I make one where I fry up a brown onion, finely diced, add a tablespoon of red curry paste (add more or less depending on how hot you like it) and cook for 1 min. Drain and rinse two tins of brown lentils and add to pot, stir to combine. Add 1 cup of chicken stock. Simmer for 20 mins (until liquid reduces). Add some green beans that have been topped and tailed, cook until bright green. Remove from heat and stir in a squeeze of lime juice. Serve over rice with some low fat natural yoghurt and papadums.

This recipe will serve 4.

You could add sundried tomatoes to the zucchini quiche if you want to add a bit more flavour (or corn or pesto or pine nuts or pumpkin).

I use pumpkin heaps and love red lentils. Red lentils don't need to soak as long as other lentils. A combo of onion, red lentils, and tomatoes (tinned) with stock/water makes a great sauce. You can have pumpkin mixed in (so it's mushy and the whole mix is smooth) or have bigger bits of pumpkin, broccoli etc in the sauce. Mix up whatever herbs you want.

frittata is a good easy meal (if you eating eggs)

Yay Mel!!

I found a really good book very cheap at the local bookshop and I have found the recipes really easy to follow so I will see if I can pick up a little gift for you

OOh kate sundried tomatoes is a good idea. And yup, we'll still be eating eggs.

Nai - aw thats so sweet You don't have to get me a gift or anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast