Thread: Need help with plant selection for a shady spot...

Default Need help with plant selection for a shady spot...

I want to get an anniversary present for my DW - our bedroom looks out onto a retaining wall and a colourbond fence, on narrow side access to our house, about 1.5m wide. So we have very little scenery from our bedroom. I would really like to plant something - either a climber to go up the retaining wall and colourbond, or otherwise just some nice flowering plants - outside our bedroom window, at the base of the fence. We are on the mid north coast of NSW, so we get somewhat cool in winter (down to 4-5 degrees overnight, although frosts are pretty rare) and the spot gets a little bit of midday sun, but that is about it, it is otherwise shaded by the house on one side, and the retaining wall and the fence on the other. It's usually pretty damp as well.

Ideally, I'm looking for a plant or some plants that will flower in late March / early April, as this will coincide with our wedding anniversary.

What can you gardening gurus suggest?

clivias like the shade, though dont ask me when they flower it just does! its not a climber,

that's a beautiful idea...I'd love that.

hmmm
    how about
    orchids?
    Cylamen?
    Camelias? I'm not a fan, but lots love them and you can espalier them (train them up the fence)
    gorund covers like Violas?
    ummm bulbs maybe?

Hellebores & violets & cyclamens all flower in the colder months, though not sure how early they start.
    Hydrangeas are often lovely in shaded spots, though you need to prune them back hard and they like a bit of water thru summer.
    Daphne smells divine and flowers in the winter, gardenias also smell lovely and have gorgeous glossy foliage.

ETA or you could do a little BH&G style makeover, and hang up a decorative board or paint the wall or hang wall feature things, with a statue or urn in front of it, and then a few plants around it. That would be lovely to look out on.

Personally, Hydrangeas are my favourties! lol They would suit well though and they can get quite big so they will hide the fence nicely eventually - gorgeous flowers too.
    Daphne does smell AMAZING though...Just a shame you can't cut them and bring them in the house.

Why not??? I used to have one down the side, and I used to cut a few twigs and bring them in...lovely fragrance!
    Last edited by Epacris; July 18th, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: link removed

The Daphne frangrence doesn't last very long after your cut it - changes and then dies completely - the flower is fine, but the smell is never the same after it is cut.

...I've never noticed a problem with it...only a lovely fragrance which lingers for a good few days.