Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What are YOU doing to save water?

Debbie Lee Guest

I personally think the gov't should supply tanks to all houses in drought affected areas free of charge! It should be a prerequisite when building a new home to have a tank.

kirsty Guest

We aren't quite as good as you Deb, but we have a small rainwater tank which we water the garden with. We have mainly planted natives & grasses so very little watering required after an initial 3wk settling period (even then watered nightly by watering can from rainwater tank) plus we have mulched all the garden beds.

We also use the half flush on the toilets, plus I filled an old 250ml bottle & sealed it & popped it into the top tank of the toilet so it displaces some water & doesn't use as much to fill it.

Wash dishes once a day & use kettle to boil water ~ our hot water takes forever to heat up to hot enough to wash dishes, so boiling the kettle means it is ready instantly almost.

*TamaraP* Guest

Deb,

Some housing companies over this way when they build. They give you a water tank for nothing. Also in our area, one of the new estates when they build a new home they have to have a recycled water line put in for watering the garden and using on the toilet.

Does the recycled water from d/washer, w/machines etc ruin the lawn/plants as it has caustic ingredients in there?

CaughtGypsy Guest

Yael, too much of it will cause you problems. You can use it diluted with other water - I understand it is the phosphates in the detergants that are the problem.

Deb, I totally agree with you! It should be a regulation that new houses have tanks. They come in all sizes and colours now and can fit into all sorts of gaps.

One thing I really don't get is the aversion Sydney has to recycled water. It is not as though the water coming down the rivers to us is pure from the mountains anyway. By the time it gets to us it has been through all manner of filtration plants!

I agree regarding the rain water tanks. I think the govt should offer more assistance (rebates) and water tanks should become compulsory for ALL properties starting with new houses. I am not aware of all of the help available but I know the rebates aren't big considering the amount of money you need to spend to buy and then have installed. Surely you could get them through your water company and then pay them off in instalments on your water bill....even if it takes 3 years or more. The sooner more people have water tanks, the better off we will be.

*TamaraP* Guest

I would love to get a water tank, but there is no way we can afford one!! Not even with the rebate.

In some areas of Vic if you build a new house you have to put in a rain water tank. If we owned our home we would have a couple. DH's parents have 4 tanks (they're in SA) and my grandparents have one as well. I've always grown up with them and miss my rain water!
    We're saving water by doing just one load in the dishwasher per day (or two days if I can make it stretch). I have a "bucket" in the sink so any water spillage is captured and put on the garden. If I have to hand wsh dishes (heaven forbid!) I do them in this "bucket" and then that goes on the garden when cooled. DH is trying to get a suitable pipe tube thing to link to the washing machiene to water our garden with that water (but we have odd pipes for some reason so have to get a special piping?). I stick a container in my hand basin to catch water from when I clean my teeth, wash my face etc. I don't water my garden - it's mostly natives. I have some plants in pots but they get water into the tray underneath. The water from washing the floors goes on the moss that seems to be constantly growing on my driveway (I think the water is a little too caustic for my garden and need to get rid of the moss!). We wash our car once every 4 months if it's lucky! I use the eco save on my washing machine and dishwasher. I don't put a bucket in my shower with me because I'm afraid I would trip over it! My dog likes to "dig" in his water and tip over his water bowl so he has one of those clam things that I put water in. When I change it it gets tiped on the plants. Saves water because if he had a normal bowl he would go through about 10 a day min!

I also campaign at the fire brigade to do "dry training" sessions and promote dry fire fighting techniques. We also only train for competitions on recycled water tracks (water is 100% recycled so we're not wasting water).

MG

I am really lucky and in portland - the water has just been put on restrictions in the last month. We have lots of water here - its all artesion bore - so we won't run out but they have brought the water restrictions in accord with the rest of the state. My husband is a plumber so we have everything htat can be re used put out to the garden and we now have 2 new rain water tanks - one is for the toilet and the other is for drinking water.

I just spoke to my sister who has just finished horticulture.

She said to be very wary of dumping greywater straight out into the garden - because although you are trying to help the enviroment, if there are any chemicals (even shampoo, soap etc), you will leech these into the soil and change the pH and over the long term end up creating a lot of problems with your soil & hence plant growth.

There are filtration systems for greywater, but she says these are VERY expensive (around 10k she said).

Just thought i would add this. We have started using our bath/shower water (shower is over bath so just put in the plug), then i take the cap off the downpipe and let it out that way (lot easier that going up and downt he stairs with buckets 50 times), but i'm allergic to soap & shampoo so that way avoiding the soil salinity problem.

HTH,
    Yael

Debbie Lee Guest

Yael - our greywater just goes out onto the grass... the grass seems to love it and thrive (I guess cos it's technically a weed?). The garden isn't getting any water apart from the odd spray with tank water (tho that is few and far between because it only trickles out of the hose) and water from the bucket in the shower which is pretty much straight water.

Our house inside has:
    Dual Flush toilets, filter things on the taps, a water saving shower head on both showers.
    I have stopped my filled to the top baths and are having quicker showers. Ive even had my hair cut so its short so im not in there for as long, ok it wasnt for that reason but still helping! Dishes once a day. Or I only fill it about a 1/3 and only place one thing in at a time, rather than filling it up to the top and piling everything in. Washing machine loads adjusted, i always make sure i do loads that are full. DH calls them Mary Poppin washing, its like her bag, you keep reaching in and there is still more clothes.

We did not plant our lawn this year because we of the water restrictions and knowing how much water it would require. We have a combination of plants which we water by hand. No sprinkler use at all. They are given a good soak rather than just a little bit. We are mulching the garden as well. about 2/3 the way through at the front already.

I think we are going to get the hoses to empty the water from the washing machine out to the garden as well when DH gets around to it.

My DH spent two weekend putting drippers to every plant in our garden. Over 90! We were shocked. Now not a drop of water is wasted and it doesn't evaporate in the air! We also put mulch around all the plants and trees. We don't have lawns since we moved into a brand new home six months ago, so we'll wait till the dry spell is well and truly over.

Great ideas from you girls though!!! Well done!!!

Celsie. xoxox

our house has the "if its wee, let if be" motto kids bath together, and i dont fill up their baths like i used to. bucket in the shower, i use that to flush the toilet, washine machine greywater goes onto the garden. I didnt think it was doig anything, but after some rain last week, my garden is green again! We also have drippers around the garden.

We were really bad for putting the sprinklers on and leaving them on overnight. So DH fitted half the back yard out with pop up sprinklers, which are allowed on Tuesday,Thursday & Saturday from 6am-8am and 6pm - 9pm.
    We have had a bit of rain recently, so have turned the pop ups off.

We fitted a dual flush toilet, and usually do the mellow yellow thing

Water saving shower head to the shower, with DD having more showers than baths recently.

grey water goes out the back and waters the grass on the other side of the backyard. The middle of the yard is missing out, but there is a huge tree out there which DH is wanting to cut down this winter when it looses it leaves.

We don't have any gardens out the back, and only 1 garden and a hedge out the front.

Pretty bad considering what some of you are doing!

Nic

For those concerned about the use of greywater on gardens, this is from the govt website:

Safe use of greywater
    Greywater should be used with care. Greywater is a great way to save town water, but it must be used responsibly. The law required that greywater must not cause a danger, health risk or nuisance through:
    ponding
    run-off on to neighbouring properties
    causing an odour.
    For this reason, 'below ground' irrigation systems are preferred as they can be carefully designed to suit the soil and other conditions in your garden.

When using greywater
    choose laundry detergents with low phosphorus, sodium and nitrogen content
    take care not to keep watering the same spot - it can affect soil and can cause plants to die
    be careful when using on native plants and don't use on edible parts of vegetables or fruits
    make sure it doesn't enter swimming pools or flow into neighbouring properities
    avoid ponding, bad smells or damage to plants by restricting use or moving the outlet
    keep away from children's play areas.

I also use grey water from the bath on the garden and pot plants. I use Gaia organic bath wash and shampoo for the boys and they state that this product is safe for use on gardens.

I also bath the boys together and use less water, have shorter showers, only run the washing machine and dishwasher when full, etc.

jujuba Guest

I love taking long showers, it's was "Me time". However, I gave up on that habit.
    I'm also trying to consume less and less energy. It's not only about saving water, I'm trying to be as environment friendly as I can.

When I'm at the pools, I turn the shower off whilst I wash my hair (ha, except of course the rinse bit!). Hm, just realised I could do that at home too.

If I use hand soap after the loo, I turn the water off while I lather my hands.

Euca Powder from Mitre10 is great for the garden, grey and septic water safe, good for both top and front loaders, you only use a tidge each wash. Great value for money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast