Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are YOU doing to save water?

clare076 Guest

We only have a rain water tank. Our rural community has no scheme water so its rain water, bore water or nothing. Luckily for us our bore water has been graded as better than your normal drinking water, Although I still cannot bring myself to drinking it!
    We have to be water wise, if we run out we go without.

we went today and chnaged over our old shower heads for new ones for free through our council!!!

LizzysMum Guest

we are not in an area that has water restrictions or problems but we recently moved here from western Sydney and were used to the restrictions. Even though our washing machine is only 3 years old we just bought a new front loader because our top loader just eats water!! So instead of about 165 L we will be using 65 L per load. I also bought a dishwaser with a good water rating because we now wash up 3 times a day because of a small kitchen bench space so we feel washing just once or even once every 2 days has to be less than what I do now - I feel like I am always at the bloody sink!

I put the drained water from my vegies that ive cooked into a bucket and let it cool down and water my veranda pots and gardern bed with them and in turn giving them vitamins from the boiled vegies.. We also keep a 2l jug under the kitchen tap for any 'rinsed' water. WE had the water board come here due to someone ringing them to say that I watered my greass everyday..I rang them and said yeah I do...with my grey water from my washing machine. Some people.........
    I also planted drought tollerent plants and paved a section of our 'grass' area out the back. Along of course with everything else everyone else does.
    Great thread too.

need to add that we too have a water tank!! we put in over summer, like maz i drain vegies and pasta water into a bucket to water plants. we have a bucket in the sink for catching ecess water. wer have a front loading washing machine

Three things:

1. We've installed a tank to water our fruit/vege garden, fill our pool up and wash the car when needed (maybe once every two months). We also sold our black car and bought a silver one so we dont have to wash it so often.

2. We are trying to keep our showers under four minutes. DH has one in 3 minutes so I figure I can use his extra minute. It is getting hard to do this with the colder weather coming on.

3. I try to alternate my hair washing nights and leg shaving nights as it is almost impossible to do both and everything else in under four minutes.

We paid a fortune for our water tank - it came with our house LOL! The house also has water efficient fittings throughout, so we also bought a water effecient washing machine and dishwasher. We also have 4 minute showers mostly - I have to admit that sometimes I go over (I'm using the courier mail timer), but other times I'm under so I figure it evens out. Also DH only takes 2 -3 mins so like a pp, I figure I can have the extra time!

DH has started filling the toilet cistern with water from the baby's bath (and turning off the tap to the toilet). It saves a couple of flushes each day.

I have stopped showering and washing clothes and I just let the dogs lick the dishes clean

In all seriousness - We have a tank that collects all the washing machine water (we use Aware washing powder which you can use on your garden any time) and I am still amazed at how much water the machine uses - the tank is 300L and I would fill it each time I do 3 loads.

I have cut down the size of my veggie garden and taken out plants that need heaps of water. We also have a tank off the shed to water the veggies.

We are now looking at putting in a tank from the roof for general use but are having difficulties working out where to put it.

We also only wash dishes etc when there is a full load for the dishwasher or when there are at least a few things in the sink.

we just had our bathroom renovated and put all new low flow taps in (down from 27 litres per minute to now 4-9 litres a minute!) and a dual flush toilet (down from 11l to 2.5l!). we have a 4 minute egg timer on the wall of the shower, but we have discovered that in fact showering together takes more than 8 minutes and it is more efficient (but not as much fun!) showering alone. a shame as we had a bigger shower put in to enjoy....

may be TMI but we also have a family principle of 'if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown flush it down".

limited watering of courtyard, only vegies and herbs.

i love a bath so i have a shallower one on special occasions and i cart the water to the communal gardens.

only full loads of clothes washing and we have a front loader with good water (WELS) rating. use the economy cycle and it is still as clean as. only ever use cold water.

never rinse dishes first with water, either wipe down or nothing. clean the filter of our dishwasher regularly. my DH and i have differing opinions on whether our dishwasher or washing up by hand use more water. i suppose it all comes down to if you rinse under running water. i always wait for a full load before using.

only wash the car at the self serve car wash which recycles its water. and we don't do this too often. you can dry wash a car if needs be.

our next step is to collect and divert water during rain fall but need body corporate permission first to put a diverter on the drains.

shave my legs using a small bucket of water in the bath rather than running the shower. and brush my teeth always use a cup rather than running the tap. this has been the hardest habit for me to break!

We have a rainwater tank, which i thought was huge...but it's surprising how much water washing the car and watering the vegies uses. If anything in the garden needs watering to live...then i'm afraid it doesn't live! I let nature take it's course! I only have plants left that can survive on it's own (oh, except the vegies of course).

Also (this might sounds gross to some!) if i am washing sheets or towels or normal (not too dirty clothes) I save the rinse water (the last lot that comes out) and bucket it back in to the washing machine, and it becomes the wash water for the next load i put in.

We are soon to put in rainwater tanks, but an interesting point I have heard is about airconditioners. We have a raised house and are about to install three airconditioners. We were going to place the condenser units on the ground, but we have decided to wall mount them outside. That way, the water that the airconditioner collects and pumps out can drip straight into our rainwater tanks.

Apparently, you can even drink the stuff as it is essentially distilled water. I don't know how much water we will get out of them, but every drop counts hey?

I'm so impressed by the number of us that are trying to do something to help mother earth!!!

We have a medium sized vegetable garden that, since it's beginnings, has been solely watered by the grey water from our washing machine. We have an elaborate system of bottles, buckets, and watering cans, to catch ALL the water, so even if it doesn't all get used in one watering, we have it there for another day when we don't do any washing. We must have saved hundreds, if not thousands, of litres of water!

Hmmm, this is surely a significant topic.
    as for me, i didnt do anything special, just store the water which is used for washing, then use it for gardening, or somethin else.
    i believe that if everyone makes a little efforts, the situation of water would change a lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123