Thread: anxiety attacks

Default anxiety attacks

i am just wondering how your anxiety attach present themselves? i went through a period a few months ago where i would have trouble breathing. i went to get chest scan and did a breathing test and it all came back normal. the doctor said it was most likely an anxiety/stress attach. but i am not /wasnt stressed about anything.

You don't have to be stressed about anything to have panic attacks. Usually they come with no warning or trigger unfortunately

so is it a breathing thing? or a heart racing thing? or what? or is it different for everyone

I think it could appear differently for everyone.. I know that my heart started to race, then I started to breathe really quickly and couldn't stop it, then I would feel sick and wanted to puke.. or worse.. out the other end!!!!!
    I knew that I would have to control my breathing, otherwise I would pass out. it was weird sometimes it would just come on with no warning, and then other times, I would feel a bit strange in my belly, and BOOM.. panic attack..

This might help:

Criteria for Panic Attack

A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:
    1. palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
    2. sweating
    3. trembling or shaking
    4. sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
    5. feeling of choking
    6. chest pain or discomfort
    7. nausea or abdominal distress
    8. feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
    9. derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
    10. fear of losing control or going crazy
    11. fear of dying
    12. paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
    13. chills or hot flushes

These are the main ones for me:
    1. fear of losing control or going crazy
    2. palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
    3. trembling or shaking
    4. sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
    I alwyas know I am having them though, and the cause.
    I definitely think youwere doing the right thing going to the doctor, becuase if you couldnt identify that you were having one, or a potenntial cause, then theres still a chance it could be something else. I am surprised your dotor didnt refer you to have further checks.

well she just said wait 2 months and see if they come back, get more frequent etc then come back for more tests. over the 2 months it didnt really happen again. well it did only a few times and not as severe as it had been. i didnt bother going back about it though. and it seemed like as soon as i had the CT chest scan and breathing test and GP said its anxiety which i took to mean its nothing... then they sorta went away. dunno if its a mind thing or something.

mine was like you know when you feel the need to yawn and then something happens and your yawn stops half way through and then you have that feeling like you need to keep yawning to feel right?? well thats sorta what it was like, plus i had a little bit of pain in the chest, short of breath too. and then the more i felt like i wasnt getting enough breath in it got worse and worse til i was thinking i was gonna die or something...

i noticed during the 2 month period and when i was thinking back that it sorta happend when i was in a small space, heaps of people around, when i was taking my DD to hospital for high temp etc. so during stressful situations. yet other times amd more often than not, it happened just when i was lying around doing nothing.

oh, I get you now, I know that feeling, I think. but I'd never associated it with my anxiety...hmm...
    I get is sometimes when I'm swallowing (or trying to) as well...

I get it reaslly intermittently (the weird chesty feeling) maybe a couple of times, over a few days, then nothing for ages, then it will happen again.

~Belinda~ Guest

I had anxiety issues back in December 2006 and luckily, addressed the problem quickly. I actually registered at about 50 breaths per minute and it should be around 15 breaths per minute. I was given exercises to slow it down as I wasn't even aware I was breathing so fast.

No wonder when I was highly anxious about something, I would vomit and get sick, it made me physically ill.