Thread: Anyone belong to a Fernwood Gym?

Default Anyone belong to a Fernwood Gym?

Tell me about what you do and dont like. How often do you go? What classes/things do you do?

Im thinking about joining but I want to make sure $21 a week is worth it.

Hey Freya,

I used to belong to a Fernwood when I lived in the City (the one at Broadway). I went every 2nd day, did about 30-40 mins cardio then about 20 mins weights. I didnt have kids then, or a partner so I had loads of time to invest there. I never did classes - not really my thing.

For me, the pros were:
    You could meet with a Team Member (they have a special name but I can't remember it) anytime top talk about what you do there. They can go through and work out a circuit for you, show you how to use the machines, etc.
    The membership I had I was able to see a Personal Trainer 12 times a year (so once a month) which I got heaps out of.
    WOmen only - loved this, don't fancy working out with guys, just a personal preference.
    Lockers, showers, etc.

Cons were:
    I had four different trainers in the 12 months I went - they had a high turnover of staff at my Fernwood, which says something about the place, not sure what though.
    My Fernwood was a bit small (being in the city) and when it got busy it was packed! I prefered to go when it was dead quiet.

Ummm... can't think of much more. You would probably get more out of it if you went to classes, I just don't really liek them is all

HTH!

I used to be a member of Fernwood. I think it depends on the individual gym you are attending as to how good it is. I used to love mine. It wasn't very big, but it was in a great location and have a fabulous creche. For me it was the creche and the location that made it better then any other gym at the time - particularly as I was relying on public transport.

I have just recently joined a different gym, which is much cheaper and a million times better - but now I am able to drive, whereas before it wasn't an option.

Have a look around at the various gyms in your area before making a commitment. And despite what they say, you can negotiate on the term of your contract and payment - the joining fee can usually be waived too if you talk to the right person. If you are unsure it may even be worth paying a little more to begining with so you aren't locked into a contract - that way if you find you don't like it or your aren't using it you can cancel it, rather then being forced to continue payments for the 12-24mths usually required.

Check out what classes you gym is offering, you are bound to find something that suits you. I love Body step and Body pump classes. But they should also have things like RPM (exercise bikes), body attack, or body combat.

Good luck.

I belong to one. The one I'm attending now is one I used to go to before kids. I liked it because it was handy and I prefer not working out with men. The downside was very average shower facilities. I moved, had a baby and joined another one. It also was good, up to date equipment, good facilities + a creche. Moved again, back to the old one which is now owned by the same owner as the second one. I'm not as happy with this one, despite having same owner. I'd say, like someone else did, it depends on the individual gym. I also found with these particular gyms, that there was no negotiating anything. Try the no-contract thing first, because if you want to get out before 12 months is up, it'll cost you.
    I also didn't do classes as that's my preference, but the type & frequency depends on the individual gym.
    Good luck.

I loved Fernwood, sadly there isn't one here. I used to go 3 times a week at least so it was worth it cost wise. I love the classes they offered (all the Les Mills and Spin - my fave). I loved that there were no men. I'm really self conscious so I found that really boosted my confidence, I sort of liked the creche but that wasn't the reason i joined so it was a bonus I guess. I'm a bit of a dag and thought the hot/cold towels were a nice touch. I liked that there were only female PTs - I find them much harder than men and that's what I needed. The shower facilities at Penrith were fantastic too. There were hair dryers and toiletries completmentary as well.

However, when we got a transfer 600km away I still had to pay out my contract even though there was no hope of transferring it to another Fernwood (the closest was 200km away). It wasn't cos i was just deciding i didn't want to go anymore either which lots of other gyms will waive the remainder of the contract for (distance I mean). So if there is a possibility that you might need to break the contract, have a think about somewhere more flexible.

If I signed a 12mth contract we'd still be here to finish it out.

There is a Fernwood in Darwin, isnt that where you are, or am I thinking of someone else?

nah, was for a bit but now we've moved south....

OK so I was a little off the mark lol