thread: facial hair

Jan 2009
    brisbane

facial hair

ok so this is an embarrassing problem that i have always had. i have a bit of a mo which is not thick but the hair a kinda dark and i find still quite noticable.
    so my question is what is an effective way to make this not as noticable. i have heard that if you start waxing then it will get thicker and you then have to keep doing it. im only 28 so dont think i want to go that way yet.
    help!!!

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

Shaving makes the hair thicker not waxing. I ahve the same issue but mine also extends over my tummy and the hair is dark but fine. I have been waxing my upper lip and tummy for years (since early teens) the hair DOES NOT grow back thicker. Infact I have a few spots where the hair just does not grow anymore.

An alternative is bleach but then you can still see the mo its just fairer.

If you don't want to wax yourself you can go to the hair dressers and see the waxing lady, she can do it for you. I do mine myself just gotta watch the wax doesn't get too hot and burn your lip thats really painful

Dec 2007
    Victoria

I have chin hair
    A hormonal hangover since coming off the pill. It is embarrassing and VERY noticable.
    I wax it. It is the most effective method I have found to get rid of it. Because it is hormonal, the method of removal has very little impact on its regrowth, it happens anyway lol But waxing is cheapest, easiest, least painful, most effective and quickest solution to the problem.

It may hurt the first time or so but you will get used to it, and so will your skin (which will have some sort f reaction to the first couple of times you do).

Go and find a GREAT beautician and she will do it for you - easy as and whatever you think is wrong with it, she will have seen 100 people with something worse

Aug 2003
    VIC

Hey there
    I'm a beauty therapist, we get people having their upper lip or chin done all the time. Takes 10 mins and it generally does start to grow back less after a while. If you shave it doesn;t actually grow back thicker, it just has that look about it because the end of the hair is blunt from where you chopped it off with the razor, rather than fine like a natural hair growing back.

Waxing lasts longer, is less noticable and can reduce the hair growth. Lots of people book in for eye brows and upper lip at the same time.

The other option is laser, which is expensive, but also effective.

Jan 2008

yep i get hormonal hair have done since first born its frustrating but i just wax it.

Dec 2006
    In the Angelic Realm

I epilady my upper lip.

It was very painful to start of with (i used to get tears streaming down my face), but now i've doing it for over a few years now it doesn't hurt as much. I do it in about 30 secs.

Sep 2008
    South West Sydney, NSW

I wax my upper lip and chin... effects of hormone imbalance due to PCOS. I had thought it might get better during pg but nope.

So it is off to the beauticians for me... I can't bring myself to do at home... I am too much of a wuss

Jan 2008

I epilady my upper lip.

It was very painful to start of with (i used to get tears streaming down my face), but now i've doing it for over a few years now it doesn't hurt as much. I do it in about 30 secs.
    ouch i got a fairly hairy face and wow i couldn't imagine that i own one tho lol do u exfoliate often?

Jan 2009
    brisbane

thanks for all the advice ladies..i didn't realise there were a few of us out there as young as me with the problem. i always saw it as an older ladies issue. i did a little bit of a pluck on them yesterday just around the edges... oooo it stings...lol....

Dec 2006
    In the Angelic Realm

I use a scrub once or twice a week. I never let the hairs on my upper lip get too long otherwise it kills. Only 1-2mm and it doesn't hurt so much. I usually epilady my upper lip fortnightly.
    I've got PCOS too.

Jan 2008

I epilady my upper lip.

i tried this yesterday and i thought it was good not on my upper lip. It was good as it didn't get the small hairs and i didnt want to look silly as waxing takes everything only the ones needed. thanks for the tip. i had been thinking about it since ya posted.

Meo Guest

I also have PCOS and I started going to a beautician for Variable Pulsed Light treatment (which is like Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) only they can change the light intensity to suit your skin and hair etc). I get it done every four weeks for $75, takes about 30 secs and doesn't hurt much after the first session! Even that's not so bad. I found I had REALLY good results after one treatment, but it takes 4-6 to get rid of all the hair and it is gone permanently. I would recommend this to anyone, despite the price it's worth it for your self esteem, makes me feel SO much better about myself.

Can be used on other bits of the body too, PM me for salon details if you're interested. I'm in Melbourne.

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

I tried laser hair removal about 7 years ago and it didn't work for me - because of my hormonal imbalance (PCOS). Has the technology improved since then?

It was also the most painful experience of my life.

Aug 2008
    Melbourne

I'd say for permanent hair removal - one of the newer laser technologies or a very good electrolysis (emphasis very good). But, keep in mind that "permanent" hair removal won't work with hormonal hair - this is because hormone issues will cause new hair to sprout so they will never be able to kill all the hair follicles because new ones will always sprout.

Nov 2007
    Earth

I use Nair or Veet cream - I generally do it every couple of weeks. If you use the sensitive range it shouldn't go too red, but I always make sure I do it on a night where I'm not going out, just to give it a bit of time to calm down, KWIM?

Aug 2009
    Melbourne

Yep, I get ya. I do the same with waxing, because I tend to have a bit of redness for a few hours afterwards.

I just feel like since I got off the pill I am needing to wax every weekend, and I'm just getting sick of it!

Sep 2008
    Gladstone

Hi i have the same prob i wish it would go away and NEVERcome back

sarahxxxx