Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HPV Cervical Cancer Vaccine

Bugger! Really Danni?

No I had my last smear JUST before I got pg. Which was good cos my ob/gyn doesn't like doing them in early pg. So you've had one recently have you, and it's come back with changes? I wish I didn't know that LOL! Are they going to do anything about it?

I havnt had one done since being pregnant either hope mine hasnt..... i probabluy should go get one i was due to have my last 6 mont check in jan but didnt go - they dont like to treat you when you are pregnant anyway.

Do they do a smear test routinley at the antenatal clinic ?

being pregnant "feeds" the virus and causes lots of "changes"

Go and have a smear done..atleast that way you will know if you need to have any surgery after bubs is born and you can plan ahead.

Anyone who has currently got high risk HPV strains will not be given Gardasil.
    Anyone else in the age range is able to have it.
    I asked and that was the answer I got when I went for my testing.

I was also told that pg definitely speeds up the development and generally reverts once bub is born. He also said that transmission of high risk strains is incredibly low because they are not the wart strains. The low risk/wart strains if active are more likely to be passed to bub via birth canal and very rarely cause any issues to bub.

Hope this helps too.

Okay, this may sounce naieve, but what exactly is it and is it checked at each pap smear?

The vaccine is available for women up to 27 years of age. However, you need to get the whole three doses (spread over 6 months) before you turn 27. So you will need to be 26 1/2 at the latest before they will give you the vaccine.
    If you are outside the age bracket, you can get the vaccine for about $460- for the three doses.
    I would be interested to hear what any long term effects could be with this vaccine. The free course is only up to the end of 2009 I think so if I want to get mine then I'd better not waste time. Got to wait until after pregnancy (turn 26 few days before due date) then I might give it a few months and get mine done.

I'm not getting it, my daughter is not getting it and there have already been problems with it. Will find the details and get back soon.

Dee, HPV is Human Papilloma Virus. When you have a pap smear they are checking for cell changes. If a woman has HPV it will show up on the smear results. Further testing is then usually required to determine the strain and severity etc.

If HPV is left untreated it can eventually progress to cervical cancer, that is why it's so important to have regular pap smears. For me, HPV was first detected when I was 18 - if I had waited til I was having a baby etc to have a smear I would possibly not be in a very good place now.

So please everyone, I know it's yuck, but have your pap smears regularly!

Ah so if you have to be 26 at the end of all 3 injections, I wont get it. I will be 27 in july.
    I read that its not registered for use in women 27 & up as it was not tested in that age group. So it is un known if it would be effective or safe for women older then 27.

Can someone clear this up for me though...
    I have only had 2 sexual partners, for both of them I was their first. So it would be my understanding that unless my mother had it when I was born (which I doubt as I am pretty sure mum & dad were each others first.) I wouldn't have been exposed to it?

Tissy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    I was actually part of the market research for the vaccine. Basically, if you have had intercourse with atleast one person who has had intercourse with atleast one other, you have a VERY high chance of being exposed to the virus already.

You may not know it, and may never get any symptoms, but its still in your system. Once you have it, I dont think you can get rid of it?

The vaccine doesnt protect against all cervical cancer, just the ones that start off from HPV.

A year or so ago, they were saying it would be 3 injections at about $100? Does anyone know if thats still the go?
    I have just been to the doctors about this vaccine, it is going to be free for those women who are eligible from the 1 July 07, you can get it prior to that, for a cost of approx $160 a needle, so timing that by 3.. I think I will wait until July.

Did he happen to say that you had to be under 27 at the 3rd injection also? I will be 27 on the 16th of July.

Tissy Guest

No, he only said you had to be between the ages, 12-26. I never thought to ask because i am only 25.

Yeah I am not that concerned about it. the more I read the less I think its amazing. DH would like me to get it but there is something about it that just doesn't sit right with me. I can just picture it in my head that 20 yrs down the track there being some wide spread problem that is directly linked with it. I don't know why..

As for either of my 2 sexualy partners having touched them selves after touching someone else. I don't think so. Both had never had a serious girlfriend before me.

Why wait that long FJ - instant paralysis has already been reported. *not starting debate here*.

See - it's what mum told you about - BOY GERMS!! lol

Can you point me in the right direction of that info Lulu?

Dammit - I can't find it now, I did a quick search and I cut out some articles recently.
    There have been reported cases of Guillain-barre syndrome which is an auto immune disease. Most patients recover, and the paralysis can be severe.
    I also noted that the GBS also came under the spotlight in 1976 when people were vaccinated against swine flu.

I'm in the middle of a work crap storm right now, I will find the info for you. There is plenty on google about how great it is, you will find a paragraph here and there about the side effects, they are now saying it is safer to stay at the dr's for 15 mins after the vacc.

I'm not getting it done. I am happy to go off the word of a fellow BB member & if you have seen bad stuff about it, thats good enough for me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast