Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: keyhole Gall Bladder removal!

I am in southeast brisbane QEII is just up the road hehe!!! Like I said all the best and relax missy

Hi Cass,

Good luck for the Op. As the others have already said, it is a pretty straight forward op. You will get 4 little nicks (cuts about 1cm long) - one just under the bra line about the middle of the distance between your BB's; another in your belly button, one almost directly in line with you belly button (the side will depend on the side the surgeon prefers to stand but is usually on your right side) and one a little higher up than that.

Pain afterwards - it depends on your pain tolerance really. It can be expected that you might have some discomfort in your left shoulder as a result of the gas they use to inflate your belly so they can see what they're doing. You might also get some pain around the incision sites. I had intense pain at the incision site lateral to the belly button because I had a drain tube in which was just awful!!!!!!!!!! It is not the norm to have a drain tube in.

The hospital stay is usually only overnight and, depending on your pain tolerance etc, you could anticipate some mild discomfort for a day or two. I was able to pick up DD (who was 8 weeks so not all that heavy) within 24hrs of being discharged.

In relation to all the hooha you've received about diet, weight etc - ignore it. It is a well known fact that gall stones are very very common after pregnancy and child birth. So common that I am surprised your medical team didn't actually tell you this when diagnosed with gall stones!!!! When I got mine, they put it down to my recent pregnancy and birth of DD.

Anyways, best of luck with the op and recovery!!!!

MG

Hey Ladies! I'm finally out of Hospital.

I went into have my operation on wednesday, the last time i saw was 8.30 then i went into operating theatre. The operation took one hour. Then i went to recovery it took them a while to wake me, and when they did i was in alot of pain i can remember a lady telling me to stop crying as there is other patients. Lol. I was in recovery for three hours then i went up to the ward.

Wednesday afternoon i was in ALOT of pain which required alot of strong medication to settle it back down, they were talking about sending me to ICU to give me stronger medication and setting me up a PVA but they didn't end up having too they gave some very strong needle in the leg and i was finally asleep at 8.30...

Thursday i woke up very groggy and still in wuite a bit of pain, but they discharged me at 10.00...

Thursday afternoon i was in heaps of pain again and wasn't handling it very well so i went to my GP who was very unhappy that the hospital kicked me out, and without anything stronger then panadol to take. So they Gave me a shot of morephine and some Endone tablets to take home.

By friday morning i was still in pain and throwing up bile, so hubby called the Ambulance, they took me to logan hosp who said it wasnt there problem they did however do some scans and give em loats of morephine for 6 hours untill transferring by ambulance over to Qu2.

once at qu2 i was in there emergency bed for 8 hours, i was Nill by mouth Since i got to logan hospital that morning. They did an ultrasound and found some free fluid and just kept the morephine up to control the pain.

By 8 they transferred me back to the ward, were i was finally enough drugged up to get to sleep. i was feeling better sat moreing, they sent me for a cat scan to make sure everything was in place.

Xray came back with alot of poo (i havent moved my bowels in 4days)
    Ultrasounds found free fluid
    Cat scan found gas pockets of air

So they have put all the pain down to gas pockets (wind) and not moving bowels. They have sent me home again, with loads of pills to take and some laxatives~

I'll catch u all later, I ahve to go lay down pain is killin!

Aww Cass hunny that is awful! I hope you are ok and doing better today! I looked pregnant when I came out of surgery and you wait till the gas starts OMG haha you just can't control it lol!

Just BIG and just put your feet up and rest as much as you can!!

xx

So sorry that you have had such a rough trot! Can't believe that the hospital sent you home so quickly!

One tip for the gas (My doctor told me to do this - but only if you can handle doing it! Any pain stop immediately!)

From a standing position, keep your back straight and crouch down into a fetal position. Hold the pose for at least 20 - 30 seconds.

Or, if on a bed - lie straight, then bring your knees up into your chest. Hold for 30 secs. Then roll over and do it on the other side.

You should pass wind or go to the toilet within 10 minutes (but not always).

BTW - they tried to blame diet for me too - however I had just had two IUIs and had a reasonably high level of oestrogen - I think that was more the final straw than anything I had eaten!

Miss K - thanks. Yea i still look pregnant! lol! The gas is pretty bad hey! I still feel awful today, and having to rely on the meds to keep me out of too much pain, but im getting there.

Gargy, Thanks - yea my mum was pist when they sent me home so early! Only hours before they were sending me to ICU. But it was the cranky nurse that did it! She properly didnt want patients!

Thanks for the tip - but omg that hurt lol!

And way tmi - But i finally moved my bowels! It took 6days. Hurt like hell in the loo, but felt a little relief when it was out!

Better go. Thanks for your support ladies and listening to me compliain!

You poor chook! Hope the pain is easing Cass. Constipation will certainly give that kind of pain. Keep up the laxatives for a few days until you feel better and then try not to let yourself go more than 3 days without a poo (so after day 3, take something). Hope you're feeling much better.

MG

Thanks MG.
    I'm feeling loads better today. The pain has settled down heaps! It really hurt last night while i was trying to go to sleep for some reason. but i woke up fine. I can move around heaps better now. and getting back into doing things.

I got out of my uni exam. My teacher deffered it for a couple of weeks for me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12