Thread: Mouth Ulcers

Default Mouth Ulcers

I've been getting really bad mouth ulcers lately. They seem to occur pre AF (yeah, like I need another thing making me cranky at this time). They are really, really, really PAINFUL! Eating and drinking can be very unpleasant. They can last for up to a week and usually disappear when AF arrives.

Does anyone else suffer from them too? What can I do? To stop them appearing, to relive the pain, to make them go away!

The only thing that seems to work for me is gargling and rinsing my mouth with salty water, I get some temporary relief. And of course sympathy helps, but my DH is hopeless with that, and they are just tiny little pale dots so I have nothing much to "show" for my pain.

I am willing to try any/all remedies.

I went through a stage where I got them alot. I was under alot of stress time, so maybe thats why?

I used to use Bonjela or SM33. Theyre both pretty much the same thing. The salty water seemed to help a little too.

Hope you can find something that works.

Hey Rachel

Ohhh I feel your pain! I have one now..You know about 2 mins ago (before reading your post) I had to run to bathroom and cover mine with some bonjella..and then I cam back and saw your thread! how funny.

I've had a few lately, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to mine.

Who would have thought that such a small white spot could be so damn painful!

I dont have that problem, but my dad used to use betadine (for your mouth) I think...

I know there are a few things you shouldnt do when you have an ulcer...lol...sorry.

Good luck!

i have one word for you epacris- sm33. it is the only thing that works for me.

i get them when i am stressed and run down- maybe take some time out to relax- go for a walk, massage etc...

hope it gets better for you soon

I had mouth ulcers so bad that they went down into my throat. Very very painful. So bad all I could do was lay with my head on a towel and dribble couldn't swallow. The only thing that eased them was for the throat warm salty water (YUK). For the ones in my mouth sm33 was great. I increased Vit C and B and have not had them since. Not sure if this is a remedy or I just got lucky.

I have never worried about salty water - I save that for when I have a sore throat with a cold.

My mum has always told us to just put normal old table salt STRAIGHT onto the ulcer, and try to keep it there for a little bit (ie don't close your mouth, and wash it away with saliva straight away - try to wait a couple of seconds first). It is really painful to begin with, and naturally, tastes disgusting, but it does work! I have also heard of putting vegemite straight onto the ulcer, but have never actually done it myself.

Once though, I had a humungous ulcer that was not just a little while spot, but actually had a hole in the centre of it, and while I was at the GP for something else, I mentioned it to him, and he said to get half a disolvable aspirin, and chuck it in a glass of water, and then once disolved, to swish it around in my mouth, as well as gargling it a bit. I had to do it twice a day, but I think it was only 2-3 days that I had to do it for.

Thanks so much for all your replies guys, the cyber sympathy is really helping!

I'll go get some of that sm33 today!

And YES, I am stressed out at the moment, why didn't I think of that. I'm back at work full-time and loving it, and DS is loving childcare (he cries when I pick him up, not when I drop him off, which is a bit demoralising for me but at least I know I've chosen then right carer for him). Anyway, DH and I are seriously clashing over housework at the moment. He seems to think it's totally fine to live in a pig sty with nothing to eat!!! Argh!!! We don't need to get a cleaner, we just need to work together a bit better but geez it's hard sometimes.

AH, hopefully that little *vent* will help my ulcers a bit too.

I get them when stressed all the time. Like Alipralli I get the ones that end up with holes in them not just a white dot, and sometimes 2 or 3 at once

I do sometimes put straight vegemite onto them, cause i cant' gargle salt water makes me sick. I might have to try the aspirin trick next time.

Love