Thread: The Quitters Thread

Default The Quitters Thread

This thread is for all the smokers out there who are trying to quit to support each other in their journeys.
    You can find more information at the Quit Now website.

I'll be first to jump in here, I don't know if I've ever admitted to taking up smoking again on BB but here goes nothing! I've not had a cigcarette since about 2pm on Sunday afternoon. I think making it through the week will be easy, but when the weekend comes and I go to a friend's party, I'm not sure how I'll go!

Hopefully we can support each other here and kick each other up the butt!

If it's the kind of party that you can find a crudite platter maybe you can just munch a carrot or a stick of celery every time you want to light up. You'll go home feeling like Bugs Bunny but if you can get through one party it will give you a boost to get through more. Good Luck.

Great idea, it just so happens I'm onm a health kick too and I can't get enough of fresh carrot, celery, cheese and dip. It's a pool party so being in the water is also a deterrent!!!

I tried drinking water wvery time i craved a ciggy...& avoided going outside with my Dh after work LOL...

I have been smoke free since September 1.... If I can do it anyone can... i ahve been smikong since I was 15 with only a 3 month break 4 years ago & a 2 week! break while pregnant....

I No longer crave cigarettes... I will admit to having a smoke at Dhs Xmas work do & just about pewked LOL... the smell is not even attractive to me again... I am no longer hanging over smokers shoulders inhaling deeply LOL...

I had put on 8kg since quitting, but am now on a downward weight loss... 4 gone... 8-10 to go...

My only suggestion is to NOT replace cigarettes with lollies & potato chips LOL... try carrot, celery sticks & fresh fruit & veges instead.... (should have realised this 8kgs ago LOL)

Good luck ppl.... just remember you can break the habit & you will succeed....

wow not many people trying to quit!!

well i am here trying my a** off!!!
    i have had alot of stress lately which hasnt helped, but it seems to have calmed down alot! so here i go again

Congratulations on your desicion to quit. It's really hard but you'll never regret it.
    The first 24 hours are the hardest so if you can get through that you can quit for life.

I have quit, I quit about 6 weeks into my pregnancy and haven't had one since. I wanted to quit, but didn't think I could, and then morning sickness really kicked in about 6 weeks and I couldn't handle cigarettes anymore..... I haven't had one since, but have been craving them this last week. Haven't given in, which is amazing since Shel still smokes and its all there on the coffee table (thanks darl!), but I have to say I have had to walk around the backyard breathing in the fresh air and reminding myself why I'm doing it...
    Everyone says it'll get easier, though it was easier when I was feeling sick!

Leasha, has your partner considered quitting with you at all? I started quitting when I found out I was pregnant. It has been a gradual process, more to do with psychology/identity than the actual physical craving. DH did not try to quit at the same time I did (though to be fair he cut back a bit), it was probably about six months of me really struggling before he quit, too. I liked being a smoker, I liked smoking, I loved a cup of black black coffee with a smoke in the morning, and I'd also given that up. He would give me the Look if I lit up and he saw me, but I'd always point out he was smoking, too. And I never hid from him when I smoked.

Eventually he started to see that his smoking was affecting me, and therefore the health of our baby. He got it that we're in it together and it's not just down to me to be making all the changes and being responsible and giving up things I enjoy. Since he's been wearing patches and quit buying smokes its been that much easier for me, I've had maybe 5 in the past month. It was important to me not to push him into the decision, I knew he had to decide for himself (though I didn't have that luxury..) for it to be a lasting decision, but he just couldn't keep smoking when I was quitting.

I came in here thinking this was a thread for those who'd given up and quit.... exercise whoops *closes door on the way out* hee hee