Thread: Shifting fat on tummy

Default Shifting fat on tummy

G'day All,

Its been 3 months since the birth of my DD and I have lost 16kg and only have another 4kg to go until I am my pre-pg weight - YAY!!!

I seem to be losing weight really steadily now that I am going to the gym heaps but I cant seems to be able to shift any fat from my tummy!!

I am doing crunches, leg lifts, sit ups, hovers, knee lifts and they dont seem to be doing much. I do feel that my stomach muscles are back but are just covered in fat!!

Has any one got any tips on how to shift the weight off??

TIA!

Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful baby and on already dropping 16kgs!!!

Cardio cardio cardio!! I know, I wish there was a nicer answer but there isn't really. All the stuff that you're doing is AWESOME for developing and strengthening your core (obliques, trans abdos, etc), and will give you so much stability through your low-back. But unfortunately cardio is really the only way to reduce body fat. Walking (yes, it really can be "enough"), running, x-trainer, swimming, etc are all good cardio workouts.

You're doing so well, keep it up!

Ahh thats right, why didnt I think about cardio doing that

Well this is what I am doing at the gym... You will probably think I am nuts but I feel great doing what I am doing..

Monday - go to gym in morning, do 20mins cardio, 10 mins on tummy, up to 40 mins on free weights and then go to a BodyStep class in the evening
    Tuesday - go to gym and do some as monday and then go to RPM in the evening
    Wednesday - I sometimes skip this day at the gym or go in and do as above and then go to BodyPump in the evening
    Thursday - go to gym and do as other days
    Friday - go to gym and do as other days

Oh and I walk my dogs for about an hour each morning.

hehe nuts arent I

Do you think I need to put in more cardio?

slyder Guest

Veronica - what Sarah said.

What you're doing is awesome and good on you, but the only way to shift fat is through cardio. That said, once you do shift it, your core muscles will be superb and you'll love yourself!

Keep at it, those last few are always the hardest, but you've come so far. Congrats.

Thanks guys!! I think I may drop one of the free weight days or even two and just do purely cardio. I guess the aim would be to get rid of the fat and then work the muscles hey?

Hi Veronica.

I wouldn't drop the weights too much - the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolic rate and the more calories you burn even when you're sitting around doing nothing! The problem with just doing loads of cardio (without weights) is that it burns up muscle as well as fat, and so your metabolic rate actually reduces. Plus weights give you a nice shape once the fat is all gone.

Looks like your doing heaps of exercise - good on you! But don't overdo it - if you're starting to feel tired for no obvious reason or feel that your milk supply is dropping (if you're BFing), pull back a little. Also, with the weights - make sure you don't train the same muscle groups on consecutive days - have at least 48hrs rest before doing the same exercises again. Muscles only grow if you give them chance to recover between sessions.

Finally, if you're BFing, be aware that your body might work really hard to keep hold of the fat. Mother Nature wants you to keep some fat in reserve to make sure that you've always got an energy supply to make milk with. For me, I'm a real gym and walking freak as well, and it took me over 7 months to shift most of the fat, and I've still got a kilo or 2 to go (but I think that will be with me until I stop BFing). So go easy on yourself!

Oops, totally forgot to mention the most important thing! Muscle weighs more than fat, so the numbers on the scales will reflect all the great weights that you're doing Don't get disheartened if those last few kilos won't budge, you may have built more muscle tone than you had before - it's better to go by how you feel, how your clothes fit and maybe % of body fat (you can get gym staff to check that for you).

Keep it up!!
    xo